Marantz PM6002 vs PM7001Ki vs PM7003

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Which one would you choose? (cost being a consideration)

PM6002 for £220

PM7003 for £365 (or £399 as not sure if £365 price is a fluke)

PM7001Ki for £450

I know certain ppl recommended C325BEE but getting over its looks is an issue, especially as it will be in a visible spot. I could wait for C326BEE that seems to be a better looking, but its coming at £100 more (£325?).

I am making a trip to the store tonight so please help! Thanks!

(music listened - Soundgarden, Staind, Kraftwerk, Aphex Twin -> diverse rock and electronica)

T

the record spot

PM7001 KI for me - very well rated amp, good dynamics apparently and - going by my own amp alone which I've used with a variety of kit in the last eight years - it should have a weighty, very clear and detailed sound that'll work well with a good range of kit. The 325's a good amp alright, like all NAD kit (longstanding owner and fan of the 3020A here), but the Marantz gear is very, very good. The KI range moreso generally.

A

Anonymous

Credit crunch and all... curious if Ki is worth double the PM6002... The pro is that I won't have to upgrade the amp for a loooong time...con is DacMagic+amp are putting me back quite a bit.

matthewpiano

I've heard the PM6002, PM7001, and PM7001 KI-Signature, but not the 7003. I thought the 6002 was a complete let down. I found it splashy at the top end and it had the strangest bass I've ever heard from an amplifier (apart from the equally disappointing PM4001).

The PM7001 KI-Signature is in a completely different league. Its a cohesive, detailed and musical sounding amplifier with a good balance of smoothness and life.

If you want to save a bit of money look for a second hand PM6010 KI-Signature. Similar sound to the 7001 KI-Signature and should set you back less than a 6002. Record Spot has one and always seems to be very happy with it. I'm sure he'll give you the greater insight of someone who has owned the amp for several years...

The NAD is a cracking amp for the money and, IMO, beats the 6002 into submission in every way although beware of a slightly slow bass with some music.

Of the amps you specifically mention (and that I know) I'd place them (from best to worst):

Marantz PM7001 KI-Sig (and the PM6010 KI-Sig)
NAD C325BEE
PM6001

T

the record spot

matthewpiano:

If you want to save a bit of money look for a second hand PM6010 KI-Signature. Similar sound to the 7001 KI-Signature and should set you back less than a 6002. Record Spot has one and always seems to be very happy with it. I'm sure he'll give you the greater insight of someone who has owned the amp for several years...

Well, yep, I suppose I do mention it, or spring to Marantz's defence when fronted with "they're too bright / thin / etc" from time to time...!!

Putting aside that I like a clear and very detailed sound, the 6010KI makes a cracking used buy - you'll pick one up in good nick for roughly £100, maybe a bit more (£150 for a mint item?) maybe a bit less on a good day if you time it right. You get an amp that's got a stack of good reviews and works well with a very wide range of gear, plus one that's been tuned under Ken Ishiwata's midas touch.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've used this amp since 2001, it's been partnered with a Rega P3 turntable, Rega Elys and then later Audio Technica AT440MLa cartridges (both very different animals in terms of character), Mission 733i and more recently 752 speakers, other sources have included Linn Mimik, Kenwood DP7090, very briefly a Technics SLPG-580A and currently a Marantz SA7001-KI CD players. I think that covers about as wide a range of sonic characteristics as you'll get from a set of sources. Nothing fazes it. It'll happily go up to around 11 o'clock in terms of volume before sounding strained, that equates to very good listening levels in a typical room.

For me, it's a super amp; I wouldn't still be using it in 2009 if I hated it in 2001! Enough inputs (six I think) and a very good onboard MM phono stage. A decent upgraded toroidal transformer from the standard 6010OSE, copper rearplate, good hefty construction and this went on at £400 RRP. You get a very clear and detailed presentation, good bass and treble - a fine overall sound. 50 wpc too, which I find is put to good use. It's go loud, but no ridiculous levels. I get it up to 11o'clock easily enough, but more strains it (with my speakers).

Here's a link to the Marantz website; sadly, the linked WHF review of the day isn't available now, but the summary provided is pretty accurate.

http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ReadReviews&cont=eu&bus=hf&review_id=141&series=comp&type=amp

Tech spec here:-

http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ArchProd_Specs&cont=eu&bus=hf&prod_id=507&type=amp&arch=1

A

Anonymous

cheyworth:Have a look at this!

This one aint so shabby either:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marantz-PM-66SE-KI-Signature-Amplifier-Amp_W0QQitemZ290298091345QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=item290298091345&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1700|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

A

Anonymous

Gentlemen, I appreciate the alternative suggestions from ebay, but from what I see 6010Ki is not that cheap on ebay (£240 in one offer) and others I am frankly not that interested in. A bit wary of buying second-hand equipment older than a few months especially when i don't have the time to deal with it if something goes wrong.

So I'd rather pick one of the three... (I wish money was no object and 7001Ki would be the obvious choice, making this thread irrelevant, but alas...)

matthewpiano

That is fair enough, and I do think that particular one on Ebay at the moment is a little over-priced. I looked at it myself but £240 seems very steep.

If you want to keep the budget down I'd strongly recommend auditioning a C325BEE against the PM6002 and pick the one you like the best.

A

Anonymous

To me, Marantz sounds the same. I would get a used Roksan Kandy LIII, if you're prepared to spend up to £450.00.

T

the record spot

chainrock:
Gentlemen, I appreciate the alternative suggestions from ebay, but from what I see 6010Ki is not that cheap on ebay (£240 in one offer) and others I am frankly not that interested in. A bit wary of buying second-hand equipment older than a few months especially when i don't have the time to deal with it if something goes wrong.

So I'd rather pick one of the three... (I wish money was no object and 7001Ki would be the obvious choice, making this thread irrelevant, but alas...)

£240 is steep - I bought mine new for £330 so no matter how good it is, I'd baulk a little at that. I was thinking more £150 or so myself, but, with that in mind, I'd check out the NAD gear. I doubt you'd be disappointed - they make some very fine equipment. Sod the looks, it's what's under the lid that counts!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Guys, is the PM7001Ki a good deal at £420? Or are there better amps at this price?

T

the record spot

Yes, it's a good deal at £420 - the standard one was about £350 I think? So if that's new and boxed. Can you have a listen to it (sorry,can't recall if you can or not!)? Is there an exchange option? It gets a very good write-up; not heard it personally, but it appears to be a slightly better amp than the 6010-KI. If that's true, I'd certainly be looking it up.

A

Anonymous

Listening is not an option unfortunately - and yes, it's new and boxed.

T

the record spot

Have a read up on it then; bound to be something on the web review-wise...just to be as sure as you can be.

I bought my CD player blind like that - £300 from £650. Couldn't turn it down - took a while to get into it, different from the Linn I'd previously had, very neutral, etc. Now, I wouldn't part with it, but it took a lot of listening to get used to the sound. Same happened with the speakers - used 752's for £75 (originally £600), so they've now opened up sound wise too. Delighted with it finally, risky admittedly, but it's worked in my favour.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:I've heard the PM6002, PM7001, and PM7001 KI-Signature, but not the 7003. I thought the 6002 was a complete let down.

The PM7001 KI-Signature is in a completely different league. Its a cohesive, detailed and musical sounding amplifier with a good balance of smoothness and life.PM6001

I've got the PM7001. Picked one up for £285 last summer and have it matched with the SA7001, which i'm really pleased with.

I've not heard the PM70001 KI, but matthewpiano, as you've heard both, could you give some feedback on how they compare? I'm expecting the KI to come out on top but is it that much better ?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I finally picked up a silver PM7001 Ki at £420. Not a cracking deal but a decent one nonetheless. This thing is massive and weights a tonne! (well 10.5kg really).

Impressions are positive so far - it sounds so much better that my old micro system! Especially the bass is deep and tight and treble is ultra-clear and precise. It needs to be broken-in - was told it should get better after about 2 weeks of use. It already points to the shortcoming in my system - the speakers.

I have to say the remote is not that impressive - functional but not the most ergonomic. I guess it'll do the job.

I also hear audible white noise when volume is at or above 9 o'clock and there is a break in music. Not sure if this is normal and what is causing it, possibly elsewhere in my setup.

A

Anonymous

chainrock:
I finally picked up a silver PM7001 Ki at £420. Not a cracking deal but a decent one nonetheless. This thing is massive and weights a tonne! (well 10.5kg really).

Impressions are positive so far - it sounds so much better that my old micro system! Especially the bass is deep and tight and treble is ultra-clear and precise. It needs to be broken-in - was told it should get better after about 2 weeks of use. It already points to the shortcoming in my system - the speakers.

I have to say the remote is not that impressive - functional but not the most ergonomic. I guess it'll do the job.

I also hear audible white noise when volume is at or above 9 o'clock and there is a break in music. Not sure if this is normal and what is causing it, possibly elsewhere in my setup.

...the recording?
Shouldnt get any noise.
Try pausing the CD and listening.....or is it MP3? in which case could it be your sound card with its 85db SNR!

T

the record spot

Hmmm, that sounds strange. It should be quiet - I'd have a chat with the dealer and see if they can try it out in the shop. You'll at least know then and they can swap for a replacement there and then.

A

Anonymous

I haven't tried it with a CD player as I was playing lossless&mp3 files off my laptop. I don't have a CD player unfortunately and taking it back to the store is a massive pain. I will think where to find a CD player or an alternative source quickly.

Also, how do you bypass the soundcard on a PC? I heard Foobar and other software does that?

T

the record spot

Pass, I'm afraid!! I'll redirect you to the MP3 section of the site; I'm still getting over I can't buy new albums on shellac anymore...!

A

Anonymous

No problem Record Spot! Just found a thread in the comp audio section on exactly how to bypass windows sound processing (apparently soundcard is already bypassed via USB (i think...?))

A

Anonymous

chainrock:
I haven't tried it with a CD player as I was playing lossless&mp3 files off my laptop. I don't have a CD player unfortunately and taking it back to the store is a massive pain. I will think where to find a CD player or an alternative source quickly.

Also, how do you bypass the soundcard on a PC? I heard Foobar and other software does that?

That's your source of noise then!
sound cards are not hifi!
as I say 85cb SNR, hifi can be more like 100dbs.
Plus what cable are you using? A cheap no brand 3.5mm to phono? Get a nice QED cable for £20 off ebay or get an offboard DAC with USB input.

Or sort if out properly with a cheap 2nd hand CDP or even a cheap DVD player would be better, i'm sure!
:)

Enjoy....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts