Marantz PM-KI Pearl Integrated Amplifier or an alternative....

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I'm beginning to ponder the necessity of procuring a dedicated audio integrated amp (not relying on my Yamaha Z7 AV amp) to go with the imminent arival of a Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD/SACD player. The synergy and aesthetic appeal of the Marantz PM-KI Pearl integrated amplifier is luring me although due to it being five weeks off being available to retail cannot hear it just yet.

The general lack of extensive hi-fi media commentary concerning the KI Pearl units and their performance is somewhat perplexing. I just demoed the SA-KI Pearl CD/SACD player and was sufficently convinced by its calibre to opt for it rather than lauded £1000+ Arcams and Roksans. Marantz, however, are typically not give much serious consideration when it comes to audio amps other than the <£500 Standard or >£3000 Reference units.

Sooo, the question is, should I forsake manufacturer synergy, head in a different direction and try out the Bryston B100ST or Pathos Logos amps instead?

Cheers, SonicD

T

the record spot

From memory, I think the new Pearl units have some "trickle-down" technology from the higher end £5k units. Worth auditioning the amp at least and come on, five weeks is no time...! Book an early demo with a stockist and see what you reckon. Out of my price league, but it'd be good to hear another customer's opinion.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We plan to review the Pearl pair, but Marantz haven't been forthcoming with samples just yet: once the amp is in the shops, we should be getting both units to review for our Temptations section.

In the meantime, we've scored an exclusive on Marantz's new high-end universal player - that review will be online early next month.
emotion-2.gif

Murdo Mathewson

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Dear Sonic Dreamer

Here is the latest on the Marantz Pearls (FYI, I handle PR for Marantz in the UK): as you correctly state, the Pearl amplifier does not go on sale for a further five weeks, and what with this being a limited edition product, not even Marantz UK has samples yet. There is a 'shared European review sample', which the UK briefly had and which was reviewed - along with the SA-KI Pearl player - by Ken Kessler for the September 2009 edition of Hi-Fi News. (Editor's Choice Award for the record!). But that machine is now back in Europe, and is next scheduled to appear at IFA.

We are very keen for WHFSV to review the Pearls, but especially with these products - given we feel the vast majority of prospective Pearl buyers will wish to read about how the two models work together - we do not plan 'single unit reviews'. As soon as we have an amp and player ready for review here in the UK, we'll get them over to WHFSV Towers.

I hope that helps. Finally, these units were definitely built to complement each other, so I strongly recommend waiting five weeks to demo the amp.

Murdo

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Hopefully that review sample will be sooner 'after the IFA show in Berlin' than it was 'after the High End Show in Munich' in May, which never happened...

But hey, I can see why a Kessler review should have taken precendence - both of those readers must have been really thrilled...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
But hey, I can see why a Kessler review should have taken precendence - both of those readers must have been really thrilled...

Assuming Mrs Kessler reads it as well.

T

the record spot

Andrew Everard:
Hopefully that review sample will be sooner 'after the IFA show in Berlin' than it was 'after the High End Show in Munich' in May, which never happened...

Does this mean we can look forward to a substantial review of this pair Andrew? I mean a two-pager or similar maybe?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Should it materialise, then I am sure the review team will take a position on how much space will be allocated. Given the limited edition status and the price, it would seem to be a logical Temptation candidate, but I wouldn't want to pre-empt Richard, Simon and Ketan's decisions.

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
LOL, love the prickly salvos of banter.....

I am presently revelling in the warm, rich spatial sound of the SA-KI Pearl SACD player, which I just collected from Sevenoaks Hi-Fi in Holborn yesterday, with the new Beatles Stereo remastered box set. I know the trend is generally away from character in tonality when it comes to hi-fi sound these days (a vital neutrality being the default preference), but as someone who fell in love with the sonic ambience of Arcam back in the 80s (OUCH!!), I was relieved to find a player that delivered a similar spectrum of performance in 2009.

I have to say, I had a sense of understated confidence that putting this Pearl SACD player up with the Arcam FMJ CD37, and erroneously pre-determining the Arcam, even at a much lower price point would win hands down going on past experience, which proves how wrong you can be. I also put the Pearl up against a Roksan Kandy K2 CD and an Audia Flight CD Two.
I tried several rock CDs with each of the units in the demo:

The Stooges - Funhouse (Remastered).

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust SACD.

Jeff Buckley - Grace (Remastered).

Peter Gabriel - 4 SACD.
I eventually focused purely on Grace, as became apparent it could conveniently highlight the strengths or weakness in performance through the clarity of Lilac Wine and harder-edged stuff like Eternal Life.
The spatial depth and the soaring openness delivered by the Pearl was simply breathtaking and by the end of the demo I was thoroughly enchanted. Before listening to this Pearl SACD player, I had never owned a Marantz unit of any kind and never seriously considered them as contenders (for no doubt idiosyncratic subjective reasons), other than at the £4k plus Reference level, so this was a real turn around scenario.
So, I can't wait to demo the PM- KI Pearl amp.... with sceptical reservation (well it is an Amp!!), still firmly intact.
Cheers,

SonicD
P.S. If someone can tell me how to edit HTML so I can eliminate the gaping voids between the paragraphs, please feel free to enlighten me!!!

T

the record spot

If anyone else is interested in hearing the Marantz Pearl range, Ken Ishiwata himself will be at the National Audio Show demoing the kit on the weekend of 26/27th of September.

A

Anonymous

Sonic Dreamer: P.S. If someone can tell me how to edit HTML so I can eliminate the gaping voids between the paragraphs, please feel free to enlighten me!!!

I was told to do shift+return instead of just return.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts