Marantz PM -7200 upgrade to Pm -7001

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have a marantz pm 7200 matched with mordaunt short 906i. I am thinking to upgrade to the pm 7001.

Does it worth to upgrade the amp to get firmer bass and more exciting soundstage? Is the midrange of 7001 as good as 7200 midrange?

How do these amplifiers compare?

Any thought experience will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

A

Anonymous

The PM7200 is a multi-talented amplifier that functions as both Class AB and Class A. With the PM7001, various circuit enhancements have been carried out, resulting in the Class A circuitry being laid to rest.

Apparently, the PM7001's high bias Class AB output stage intrinsically has next to no crossover distortion, while other potential problems of this mode of operation have been addressed by careful circuit board layout and high-performance small-signal stages upstream of the output.

In my opinion (I have had both amps), the PM7001 is noticeably better, but not dramatically better. If you like your music to have a presentation that is both realtively punchy and fairly detailed, with a real sense of music engagement, than this might be the amp for you.

While this was a good amp, I opted for the Rotel RA-04 instead, which ticked all my boxes - according to my musical taste. Both Marantz amps lacked the 'oomph factor' for me.

As you are familiar with the 'Marantz sound', you will be able to relate to this immediately and decide if it is indeed a worthwhile upgrade to your present amp. Alternatively, you may want to audition other amps to give you a wider perspective.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will try to demo the RA-04.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
dio66:
Hi,

I currently have a marantz pm 7200 matched with mordaunt short 906i. I am thinking to upgrade to the pm 7001.

Does it worth to upgrade the amp to get firmer bass and more exciting soundstage? Is the midrange of 7001 as good as 7200 midrange?

How do these amplifiers compare?

Any thought experience will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

I haven't compared either amps... so I won't comment on the difference... but I will point out that Marantz is releasing the PM 7003 by the end of this month (I think) so you probably should wait to check it out before buying anything....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Marantz always sound similar. You can go back to the 63KI, 6010OSE and the present 7001, really not much in it! The exception probably is your 7200 which I thought was always lagging behind other editions despite all the good reviews. I would expect any new edition to be, again, very similar with perhaps the odd addition of MP3 versatility etc but of similar circuit lay out/power. If you want better sound and like the marantz midrange I'd certainly consider the 7001 or KI version, which someone bought recently for 400 quid, very good value for money. Either one is more organic and natural sounding than any of the current rotel entry level series. They sound mechanical in comparison. Also consider Denon's midrange amplifiers. Superb and more coherent/musical than the rotels.

Everything imo only so nobody even think of verbally attacking my good self.

A

Anonymous

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, according to their own music preference. That's what's great about this forum - it presents a platform for many views.

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
The PM7001 has a somewhat different sound than the PM7200, more like the old PM6010KI.
If you like a more immediate and direct sound go for the upgrade I'd say.

A

Anonymous

My PM6010 OSE KI literally bored me to death with it's gutless performance. I liked the volume knob though - smooth like a Lexus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts