Marantz PM 6005: Wot no network streaming? :-(

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
MajorFubar said:
manicm said:
MajorFubar said:
but what I really wanted to see was an integrated amp in the £300-£400 price-bracket which sounds like a '6005 and offers the same network-streaming features as a '610 without CD and radio.

It already exists - it's called the Marantz M-CR510. Sorry MajorFubar, now what would you like with that, a built-in ice-dispenser too?

As pointed out by DDC, I'm envisaging something a bit further-up the HiFi ladder than the 510. I already knew about the 510.

Tarxman: yep when the time comes I'll look around at other options.

To keep things simple I do everything on a laptop and use Airplay, but I would prefer a wired solution with onboard Spotify.

:?

I just use a very old notebook purely to play spotify. I've got it tucked away on a bookshelf and with a DAC with USB it's connected to the amp. Only hassle is that I will need to walk to the cupboard to select an album to play :(

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
davedotco said:
MajorFubar said:
manicm said:
MajorFubar said:
but what I really wanted to see was an integrated amp in the £300-£400 price-bracket which sounds like a '6005 and offers the same network-streaming features as a '610 without CD and radio.

It already exists - it's called the Marantz M-CR510. Sorry MajorFubar, now what would you like with that, a built-in ice-dispenser too?

As pointed out by DDC, I'm envisaging something a bit further-up the HiFi ladder than the 510. I already knew about the 510.

To keep things simple I do everything on a laptop and use Airplay, but I would prefer a wired solution with onboard Spotify.

I just use a very old notebook purely to play spotify. I've got it tucked away on a bookshelf and with a DAC with USB it's connected to the amp. Only hassle is that I will need to walk to the cupboard to select an album to play :(

Exactly, I love being able to sit and browse the music from the sofa, lazy ****** that I am.

I keep looking but keep returning to my default option, a Sonos Connect and a pair of ADM9s.......... :?

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
MajorFubar said:
manicm said:
MajorFubar said:

Exactly, I love being able to sit and browse the music from the sofa, lazy ****** that I am.

I keep looking but keep returning to my default option, a Sonos Connect and a pair of ADM9s.......... :?

I did try some sort of remote app for spotify, but it didn't work very well. Maybe it would be easiest to just control the dedicated music laptop from another one. In that way, I just can just leave the cables as they are.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
MajorFubar said:
manicm said:
MajorFubar said:

I did try some sort of remote app for spotify, but it didn't work very well. Maybe it would be easiest to just control the dedicated music laptop from another one. In that way, I just can just leave the cables as they are.

Quite right,

The interface is often the killer, hence my high regard for Sonos. Currently while writing this I am playing Spotify over Airplay/AEX from a Macbook, rock solid connection and a great interface. Pretty expensive option as a dedicated music player and I really would prefer a wired connection

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
Broner said:
davedotco said:
MajorFubar said:
manicm said:
MajorFubar said:

Quite right,

The interface is often the killer, hence my high regard for Sonos. Currently while writing this I am playing Spotify over Airplay/AEX from a Macbook, rock solid connection and a great interface. Pretty expensive option as a dedicated music player and I really would prefer a wired connection

As long as I am still paying for my girlfriend's university degree and everything else, buying a Sonos is not something I would easily do. It's just too expensive for a little bit (but not to be underestimated) of comfort. Moreover, I am a little bit scared to go wireless. A noticeable loss in sound quality would be a major bummer.

T

the record spot

I've several options; the Apple TV gives me streaming and internet radio to a good standard, the PS3 has the same but now with the Tune-in app which has an excellent interface. Or there's the Onkyo amp which has a good interface, and all the connectivity you need. Spotify, internet radio, DLNA, other streaming services, USB ports front and back and about five other coax or optical inputs as well as eight HDMI. The price of that is it's a large black but not unattractive (to my eyes) box. Perfect for me but can see why it's an issue for others.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Broner said:
Moreover, I am a little bit scared to go wireless. A noticeable loss in sound quality would be a major bummer.

Just as well then that there is no difference in sound quality between wired and wireless networks as there is no audio being carried, it's data over TCP/IP in both cases which is fully fault tolerant. The audio plays or it doesn't, there's nothing in between.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:
Moreover, I am a little bit scared to go wireless. A noticeable loss in sound quality would be a major bummer.

Just as well then that there is no difference in sound quality between wired and wireless networks as there is no audio being carried, it's data over TCP/IP in both cases which is fully fault tolerant. The audio plays or it doesn't, there's nothing in between.

Aha, that does change things. Might consider buying a second hand Sonos connect.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Broner said:
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:

Aha, that does change things. Might consider buying a second hand Sonos connect.

If you only have one Sonos device it needs to wired to your network anyway, so in that instance the question would be moot.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:

If you only have one Sonos device it needs to wired to your network anyway, so in that instance the question would be moot.

You mean to say that there is no principal difference between using a computer which is also connected wirelessly or using a sonos, because both the sonos and the computer will receive the data (eg through spotify) without a wire, right?

If so: understood. If not: not.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

Do not agree.

There is definitely a noticeable loss in sound quality when you listen music over a wireless network.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Cypher said:
The_Lhc said:

Do not agree.

There is definitely a noticeable loss in sound quality when you listen music over a wireless network.

then something is wrong with your network, or you're listening to something that's rate adaptive, like iplayer for example.

this isn't really one of those debatable things as it's how computer and networks work. if they didn't transmit and receive the complete packets you would get drop outs, not a reduction in quality.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Cypher said:
The_Lhc said:

Do not agree.

No there is isn't. If that was the case wireless networks would be useless for sending data as it would imply that packets would be continuously lost. Nothing would work and it's a nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
When I had a M-CR603 at home playing CD's sounded much better than airplay.

Or is this not the same thing as you are saying ? :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Broner said:
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:

You mean to say that there is no principal difference between using a computer which is also connected wirelessly or using a sonos, because both the sonos and the computer will receive the data (eg through spotify) without a wire, right?

Err, not sure, all I meant that time was that if you only have one Sonos device it must be wired to your network, so it won't be working wirelessly at all.

If you're using Spotify the Sonos device can pull that from the internet itself, so it won't use your computer to do that.

If you want to play music stored on your computer then Sonos don't support a wireless music source (ie the computer would need to be wired as well) as they can't guarantee the stability of the computer's wireless connection. That's not to say it won't work, plenty of people do it, it's just not a supported configuration, so if you have drop outs and you contact Sonos support the first thing they'll ask you to do is wire the computer to the network.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Cypher said:

No it isn't. I believe Airplay resamples everything to the same rate for a start, you also don't mention what you were actually listening to over Airplay.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Cypher said:

ahhhh, fair enough, crossed wires then, apologies.

Airplay has it's own protocol, but it still uses apple lossless and should buffer at least 2 seconds. Although that's just a side note as it depends what other equipment you have linked up to it.

I think what LHC and I were talking about was if you say have a computer wired to a router and you are playing something from say a nas. then you remove the wire from the computer and use wireless instead, there should be no loss of quality as the exact same data is being transmitted and received, and in that scenario, anything that gets in the way would cause packet loss, which would manifest itself as drop outs, not quality loss.

Apple likes to do its own thing with networking and other things, bloody grrr!!!

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:
The_Lhc said:
Broner said:

Err, not sure, all I meant that time was that if you only have one Sonos device it must be wired to your network, so it won't be working wirelessly at all.

If you're using Spotify the Sonos device can pull that from the internet itself, so it won't use your computer to do that.

If you want to play music stored on your computer then Sonos don't support a wireless music source (ie the computer would need to be wired as well) as they can't guarantee the stability of the computer's wireless connection. That's not to say it won't work, plenty of people do it, it's just not a supported configuration, so if you have drop outs and you contact Sonos support the first thing they'll ask you to do is wire the computer to the network.

Ok, so I would need to place the Sonos next to the modem (which is impossible if I also want to connect it to my amplifier) or I might be able to use ethernet adapters (which I already use for digital tv). Anyway, that is actually something else than I expected (and that is pity).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Broner said:
Ok, so I would need to place the Sonos next to the modem

Well, router or other network switch.

(which is impossible if I also want to connect it to my amplifier) or I might be able to use ethernet adapters (which I already use for digital tv). Anyway, that is actually something else than I expected (and that is pity).

In that case you could use the powerline adapters or you could just get a Sonos Bridge, wire that to the network and then the Connect can be used wirelessly, there are a lot of Bridges on eBay for very little money as Sonos frequently give them away for nothing.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
And in fact if you do as The Lhc suggests and use a bridge you can run a ethernet cable from the Connect to feed you digital set top box and do away with the plug in ethernet adaptors. Rest asured you will not get a loss in sound quality.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting. I only have digital tv since this month and I bought the ethernet adaptors for 80 euro's... If I sell those and my arcam rpac dac, I can almost buy a 2ndhand connect+bridge.

Seems like I've some shopping and selling to do :)

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
boggit said:
And in fact if you do as The Lhc suggests and use a bridge you can run a ethernet cable from the Connect to feed you digital set top box and do away with the plug in ethernet adaptors. Rest asured you will not get a loss in sound quality.

Just to be sure, are you saying that it also replaces the ethernet adaptors that I currently need because my tv is on the other side of the room than my router+modem is, so meaning that the digital tv-signal can also be transmitted from the bridge to the connect.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Broner said:
boggit said:

Just to be sure, are you saying that it also replaces the ethernet adaptors that I currently need because my tv is on the other side of the room than my router+modem is, so meaning that the digital tv-signal can also be transmitted from the bridge to the connect.

Yes, instead of plugging the TV's ethernet connection into the powerline adapter you just plug it into the Connect's network port and then the TV's network traffic will automatically flow over the wireless link between the Connect and the Sonos Bridge and on to the router.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts