Marantz PM 6005: Wot no network streaming? :-(

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
boggit said:
And in fact if you do as The Lhc suggests and use a bridge you can run a ethernet cable from the Connect to feed you digital set top box and do away with the plug in ethernet adaptors. Rest asured you will not get a loss in sound quality.

Just to be sure, are you saying that it also replaces the ethernet adaptors that I currently need because my tv is on the other side of the room than my router+modem is, so meaning that the digital tv-signal can also be transmitted from the bridge to the connect.

Not quite.. At the moment you feed Ethernet from the plug in adaptors to your set top box to get TV. In my scenario you will feed your set top box from an Ethernet cable coming out the back of the Sonos Connect box. In both cases you are only using an internet conection. (this assumes your HiFi and TV are reasonably close together)

On another point i had a home trail of a irDAC and did not notice any improvment in sound quality in my system.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
boggit said:
Broner said:
boggit said:
And in fact if you do as The Lhc suggests and use a bridge you can run a ethernet cable from the Connect to feed you digital set top box and do away with the plug in ethernet adaptors. Rest asured you will not get a loss in sound quality.

Just to be sure, are you saying that it also replaces the ethernet adaptors that I currently need because my tv is on the other side of the room than my router+modem is, so meaning that the digital tv-signal can also be transmitted from the bridge to the connect.

Not quite.. At the moment you feed Ethernet from the plug in adaptors to your set top box to get TV. In my scenario you will feed your set top box from an Ethernet cable coming out the back of the Sonos Connect box. In both cases you are only using an internet conection. (this assumes your HiFi and TV are reasonably close together)

On another point i had a home trail of a irDAC and did not notice any improvment in sound quality in my system.

That's exactly why I meant :). My tv and hifi are close together by the way, so this should work out fine then.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Funny... I wasn"t planning on buying anything this morning and now after this little thread I've already E-mailed somebody about a secondhand connect+bridge.

@boggit: I will just sell my rpac.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
I feel some people are kind of missing the point here.

The 6005 is made to a price and to deliver the facilities that Marantz feel that most people want. The clue is most people.

The 6005 is not an enthusiasts product, it does not deliver anything special and, quite frankly, neither does any roughly comparable products from other manufacturers. It is 'commodity hi-fi' that finds it's real worth overhyped in a marketplace that is very heavily price orientated.

The british market is reknowned for being, well, a bit cheapskate, the whole marketing strategy of brands in this sector of the market is price orientated because mainstream buyers will not pay more, even for a clearly superior product. People talk about discounts as if they are real when products such as the 6005 was always expected to sell mostly at a 'low' price so the higher 'retail price' at launch is just a marketing strategy.

In the modern marketplace the 6005 sells for £300, everybody makes money at this price, so this is the real worth of the product. This is a 'business model' that is followed by many of the mass market hi-fi companies.

Most buyers at this end of the market have no idea of what good sound is, but everyone knows that 30% (or whatever) off is a big discount, even when, in reality, it is no such thing.

so can we assume brand like dynaudio have the same pricing policy as the mass market brands, by going on sale at a fixed price then being heavily discounted in richersounds

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
peterpiper said:
davedotco said:
I feel some people are kind of missing the point here.

The 6005 is made to a price and to deliver the facilities that Marantz feel that most people want. The clue is most people.

The 6005 is not an enthusiasts product, it does not deliver anything special and, quite frankly, neither does any roughly comparable products from other manufacturers. It is 'commodity hi-fi' that finds it's real worth overhyped in a marketplace that is very heavily price orientated.

The british market is reknowned for being, well, a bit cheapskate, the whole marketing strategy of brands in this sector of the market is price orientated because mainstream buyers will not pay more, even for a clearly superior product. People talk about discounts as if they are real when products such as the 6005 was always expected to sell mostly at a 'low' price so the higher 'retail price' at launch is just a marketing strategy.

In the modern marketplace the 6005 sells for £300, everybody makes money at this price, so this is the real worth of the product. This is a 'business model' that is followed by many of the mass market hi-fi companies.

Most buyers at this end of the market have no idea of what good sound is, but everyone knows that 30% (or whatever) off is a big discount, even when, in reality, it is no such thing.

so can we assume brand like dynaudio have the same pricing policy as the mass market brands, by going on sale at a fixed price then being heavily discounted in richersounds

I have no insight into Dynaudio's marketing policy, though I doubt, looking at the prices of their pro product, that this is a deliberate marketing strategy. Every business needs to clear inventory sometimes, I would guess that some new product is on the way.

BTW. The DM2/6 is a bit of a bargain at that price. The (active) pro version is very highly regarded.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts