Marantz PM 6005 and Tannoy Revolution DC6T

Paja

Dec 16, 2020
Visit site
I have this combination for few years already…
However not perfectly happy.

What I’m missing is clarity, details and more open presentation. Sound is to my taste little bit dull…..Especially on acoustic and vocals…
Maybe I would like a little bit forward sounding presentation like I heard on some older KEFs. ( Coda 10 for example )

This is more less the same regardless of the source…..
Speakers and Amp connected bi wire with AudioQuest FLX-SLiP 14/4 cable.

I’m not a critical listener , often listening also radio and just like to have a nice , detailed pleasant sound around even on lower volumes…

So I have few ideas to try:
-Keep DC6T and upgrade to stronger amp with more grip and authority. Can anyone suggest combination? Do you think this could give me the improvement I’m after? My idea is maybe Cambridge Audio CXA 81? Could I even get what I would like with Tannoys with any amp?
-Keep the Marantz PM 6005 and buy a pair of KEF Q350 or similar? How would this wok? Q350 are now on nice discount. Bass of course is necessary but not the main focus for me so I think I could live with bookshelf speakers.
-Start from the scratch.

Suggestions and ideas are welcome…
Thanks

Gray

If you can, the best thing you could do would be to hear various speakers, including the Kefs.
See if you can get them to put a Marantz amp through them (maybe even your own amp).
Then compare how open and detailed each sounds.

It's true you can get brighter, but Marantz aren't dull amps and, even though I haven't heard your Tannoy's, I think it's a speaker change that will give you the sound you're after.

P.S. I use the same (perfectly adequate) speaker cable as you, with Cyrus and PMC at either end of it.
The detail and clarity I've got would kill some people.

Last edited:

Paja

Dec 16, 2020
Visit site
That's a tough one - if I am right you are pairing a £300 amp with speakers costing the best part of £1k. That's quite an imbalance.

Yes, I agree, although I bought Tannoys at the end of production, they were £300 as well, that was a bargain so I decided to buy based on excellent reviews and without demo .....but I also have a feeling speakers are not driven properly by PM 6005.....just not sure how would they sound with better amp and what would be appropriate amp? Anyone having experience with a good driven Tannoy DC6T? Can they in nature have the sound I explained as preferred?

Paja

Dec 16, 2020
Visit site
If you can, the best thing you could do would be to hear various speakers, including the Kefs.
See if you can get them to put a Marantz amp through them (maybe even your own amp).
Then compare how open and detailed each sounds.

It's true you can get brighter, but Marantz aren't dull amps and, even though I haven't heard your Tannoy's, I think it's a speaker change that will give you the sound you're after.

P.S. I use the same (perfectly adequate) speaker cable as you, with Cyrus and PMC at either end of it.
The detail and clarity I've got would kill some people.

Thanks, this sounds like a good idea. At lease easier and cheaper to change for KEF350 or similar if that would sound ok.
It would be like downgrading from higher class floor standers but if that better suits to my ears then that is the proper way to do I guess.:)

Reactions: Gray

Gray

....but I also have a feeling speakers are not driven properly by PM 6005.....just not sure how would they sound with better amp and what would be appropriate amp? Anyone having experience with a good driven Tannoy DC6T? Can they in nature have the sound I explained as preferred?
There's no doubt you could find an amp to get you closer to the sound you want. But I still think you need to hear a few different speakers (maybe you'll decide to stick with the ones you've got, but most people agree, speakers (and their match to a room) are the critical factor).

Yes, I agree, although I bought Tannoys at the end of production, they were £300 as well, that was a bargain so I decided to buy based on excellent reviews and without demo .....but I also have a feeling speakers are not driven properly by PM 6005.....just not sure how would they sound with better amp and what would be appropriate amp? Anyone having experience with a good driven Tannoy DC6T? Can they in nature have the sound I explained as preferred?
I think they are the model that one of my brothers-in-law has, and he has a Koksan Kandy - seems happy with the combination.

You might get a more engaging sound with cheaper speakers (I have no opinion on them, but they were well-thought of at the time), but as for more clarity, detail and a more 'open' sound - I'd be doubtful.

As you've identified what you are looking for though, only you will recognise the solution when you hear it. Time for some demoing and ideally buy stuff that you will be able to return if it's not a good sonic fit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts