Marantz or nad

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After trawling through several threads while looking for a replacement for my cambridge a5 it seems that the main difference between choosing marantz or nad down to which camp your sitting in like potsmouth v southampton is this right or can someone enlighten me.

grimharry said:
After trawling through several threads while looking for a replacement for my cambridge a5 it seems that the main difference between choosing marantz or nad down to which camp your sitting in like potsmouth v southampton is this right or can someone enlighten me.

Why have you narrowed it down to just these two? There are many top brands out there, each has their own distinct sound and set of features.

What is the rest of your system?

matthewpiano

If you are choosing between NAD and Marantz at the £300 price point (C326BEE/PM6004), they are pretty evenly matched. The NAD has a big, slightly warm sound with lots of punch. The Marantz is a slightly cooler headed performer, focused more on detail and quite a smooth listen. Both are excellent amps. Personally I love the NAD but you need to listen to both. It also depends very much on planned partnering equipment.

As PP says there are plenty of other options too. I'd certainly consider the Denon PMA720AE, the new Rotel RA10, the Cambridge Audio 351A or (if you can stretch) the 651A. Then there are the new amps from Pioneer and Onkyo, which I haven't heard yet but which should be very worthy contenders knowing what the two brands are capable of. Also from Onkyo, if you fancy more flexibility, is the TX8050 receiver which is really rather good.

A

Anonymous

To be honest i am looking at other makes but sadly budget is an issue at the moment, my a5 seems to get lost and mixed up when the mid range gets complicated i do like the sound but a bit more detail would be nice. its teamed up with a technics slpg 390 cd player wharfedale 9.1's chord crimson interconnect, merlin tarantula power cables and simple qed 79 strand speaker cables. in 15x11ft room my music is mainly indie/rock with the occassional classical session.

I was thinking of changing the amp first then cd player etc, choices so far for the amp are;

nad c340, c325bee, or c320bee

marantz pm44se, pm66se, or pm6010se (poss ki's)

pioneer a400 (how i rember my xg5 stacking system when i was young and 18)

rotel ra970

cyrus 3 or straightline

i quite fancy an old linn majik for some reason

Onkyo i have no idea about

There seems so many choices but stuck on the isle of wight the nearest thing to a hifi outlet is a camera shop with 4 amps at best so making a decision is hard so any help is welcome.

Most of the aforementioned amps will work well with Wharfedale: Pioneer, Rotel, Marantz, Nad, Arcam... actually, I'm struggling to think which brands wouldn't.

Have a look at this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotel-RA-05SE-Stereo-Amplifier-/221065447632?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item33788708d0

TBH, I owned Cambridge A5... for two days and replaced it with Arcam Alpha 7. The Arc, IMO, sounded so much more cohesive. In fact, most £300 amps would be a decent improvement on the A5.

matthewpiano

I'm familiar with the 9.1s because I still have a pair. To be honest I don't think NAD is the best match. The Wharfies work very well with Marantz and if you can find a PM66SE in good condition I'd go for it. Great amp.

The other great amp that would drive the 9.1s well is the Pioneer A400, but it is quite exposing of the source and I don't think your Technics will be up to the job (decent thought it is).

A

Anonymous

Well about the cd player im dropping hints to my wife about christmas so that might change

A

Anonymous

Well thanks for your help ive got an a400 on its way so lets see how the cd player stands up, if not then its time look for an upgrade.

A

Anonymous

Got the a400 today sounds great ( tested with the the soul mining) and my old cd sounded fine but now im saving for a rega apollo, happy days

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts