marantz nr1200

gonzo98

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a marantz nr1200 system to replace an arcam solo neo so I can connect it to my tv. I'm wondering if I can connect this to a cheap cd player and use the dac on the system instead of the player. Also how would the sound of this system compare to the neo.

Thanks,

Garry

Gray

I'm thinking of buying a marantz nr1200 system to replace an arcam solo neo so I can connect it to my tv. I'm wondering if I can connect this to a cheap cd player and use the dac on the system instead of the player. Also how would the sound of this system compare to the neo.

Thanks,

Garry
If you use an optical connection from the TV, you can use coaxial digital from any old CDP with such an output.
Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, you're the one that needs to decide whether your Arcam or the Marantz sounds best.

jjbomber

I'm wondering if I can connect this to a cheap cd player and use the dac on the system instead of the player.

Garry
Yes, or a DVD player. Basically you are using them as a transport to send a digital signal to the amp. Should be very good. Probably a bit more lively than the Arcam, but only you can decide what is best for you.

manicm

A cheap CD player or DVD player is unlikely to have an optical out. I'd get a good secondhand model instead of a cheap new one.

I had an Arcam Solo Mini, and TBH, I personally think the Arcam Neo will outshine the NR1200 in pure sound quality. Having said that I've been also eyeing one, and it has many positive reviews.

What speakers will you use? The NR1200 and something like the B&W 606/7 will be a great pairing.

gonzo98

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
I was just checking the arcam solo music mk2 to see if it has an optical in (the neo does not) and was surprised to find it has hdmi ports and an hdmi e-arc so I might look for one of these instead second hand.

I'm also not sure if the marantz will live up to my expectations soundwise after owning the arcam neo, not just because of pure sound quality but because the arcam has a nice neutral sound that I like with detailed mid range and rythmic bass.

I am using wharfedale diamonds 9.1's now but I want to replace these with dynaudio x12 or dynaudio emit m10's. I've been wanting to replace these speakers for a few years but have been dissuaded by the lack of other front ported speakers. I have also considered the b&w 606 but they may be possibly a bit too bassy.

Last edited:

Thanks,

Garry
There's very few modern TVs where you can connect directly to a amp or receiver. There's only two guaranteed ways of connecting a amp to the TV is either through the set top box (HDMI from TV to set top and analogue connections from set top to amplifier) or buy a cheap DAC that most have the same connections. This way it'll save you money and should sound great through the Arcam Neo.

I have a Sky box that has both digital and analogue connections.

IME Arcam Neo is more open and transparent whereas the Marantz veers slight on the warmer side.

manicm

There's very few modern TVs where you can connect directly to a amp or receiver. There's only two guaranteed ways of connecting a amp to the TV is either through the set top box (HDMI from TV to set top and analogue connections from set top to amplifier) or buy a cheap DAC that most have the same connections. This way it'll save you money and should sound great through the Arcam Neo.

IME Arcam Neo is more open and transparent whereas the Marantz veers slight on the warmer side.

???? Denon, Marantz, Naim and others all have HDMI ARC ports which you can use to directly to the TV for sound. This is becoming increasingly common. So I don’t understand your statement.

Alternatively, like I’ve done with my mother, I could connect her 8 year old Samsung TV via optical to her Denon Ceol N10. The set top box is connected to the tv via HDMI, and the sound is routed to the Denon, no problems. YouTube and Netflix etc work flawlessly too.

Your suggested way seems way too convoluted. That said he could keep his Neo and get a DAC as you said. But I would connect the TV to the DAC directly, assuming his TV has an optical out. And keep his other connections as is.

Last edited:

gonzo98

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site

This sounds like a good option. Any recommendations on a DAC for this?

gonzo98

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
???? Denon, Marantz, Naim and others all have HDMI ARC ports which you can use to directly to the TV for sound. This is becoming increasingly common. So I don’t understand your statement.

Alternatively, like I’ve done with my mother, I could connect her 8 year old Samsung TV via optical to her Denon Ceol N10. The set top box is connected to the tv via HDMI, and the sound is routed to the Denon, no problems. YouTube and Netflix etc work flawlessly too.

Your suggested way seems way too convoluted. That said he could keep his Neo and get a DAC as you said. But I would connect the TV to the DAC directly, assuming his TV has an optical out. And keep his other connections as is.

As you said in the last paragraph, plasctic penguin was suggesting to keep the neo and connect it to the tv via a dac. It's real annoying that the neo does not have an optical in otherwise I could just connect it directly to the tv.

gonzo98

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
All your speaker choices seem fine. The 606 is not particularly bassy though, so give them a try too.

I've been looking into these speakers again and I've read on two or three reviews that they may be a bit too bright for some and I dislike bright sounding speakers. I ideally I want something close to the wharfedales 9.1's in terms of the balanced sound. I think the dynaudio emit m10's would be a better upgrade.

My main concern though is that I've read dynaudio's don't sound very good at low volume and I listen often to music at very low volume.

I've been looking into these speakers again and I've read on two or three reviews that they may be a bit too bright for some and I dislike bright sounding speakers. I ideally I want something close to the wharfedales 9.1's in terms of the balanced sound. I think the dynaudio emit m10's would be a better upgrade.

My main concern though is that I've read dynaudio's don't sound very good at low volume and I listen often to music at very low volume.
unfortunately speakers that are somewhat inefficient are not good at low volumes especially if they are somewhat compact.

manicm

If you honestly can meet the Dynaudio's impedance levels it should be fine - as they don't dip and are a bit more stable than other speakers in this regard. And might even sound good at low volumes if the amp is up to it.

The M10 has a stated impedance of 6ohms and 86db - the combination of which is not too bad actually for your Neo, or the NR1200.

The X12 would be a fair pairing for the Solo Neo - interesting Arcam states
  • 75W RMS into 4 Ohms continuous power output at 1Khz

Not convoluted but ideal if your amp, like mine, doesn't have digital connections.

gonzo98

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
A s/hand Arcam iirdac is a good option, as is Peachtree iDac. Really any Dac that caters for digital and analogue connection. It'll give you more flexibility (and cheaper) than replacing your amp.

Those are much more than I was expecting to pay. I was thinking of buying a CYP AU-D3-192. It's for sale at £50 at richer sounds and has good user reviews.

Last edited:

gonzo98

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
I might just go with the b&w 606 or 607's as they are really good price at the moment and have excellent reviews. With regards to them sounding a bit on the bright side of neutral, does this mean that treble is going to sound louder or more high pitched than my wharfedale 9.1's. I don't mind if it's just a volume thing if the treble is smooth as I can use the treble control if it's too much but if it there is any hint of harshness because of higher pitch frequencies that could be deal breaker.

Also not sure which version to get. The room they are going in is about 3m x 3m and the speakers will go in the corners with about 20 cm from back wall on speaker stands. Also the back wall is a partition wall so I'm thinking maybe the smaller ones will be best.

Thanks for all your comments by the way!

manicm

Audition if you can. The Solo series was actually more neutral sounding than Arcam’s separates which were a bit warmish. My Solo Mini was one of the best things I ever owned, including cars etc. It was an exquisite device.

The 606/7 I think will be on the brightness fence for your Arcam.

Those are much more than I was expecting to pay. I was thinking of buying a CYP AU-D3-192. It's for sale at £50 at richer sounds and has good user reviews.
That CYP should be fine. The only reason for mentioning the Arcam irDac is because it'll synergise with the Neo nicely. As you were/are looking at a Marantz receiver of around £500-600, £250ish for a s/hand Dac isn't a lot.

Audition if you can. The Solo series was actually more neutral sounding than Arcam’s separates which were a bit warmish. My Solo Mini was one of the best things I ever owned, including cars etc. It was an exquisite device.

The 606/7 I think will be on the brightness fence for your Arcam.

All of the DIVA range are more neutral than older Arcams. I've heard most of them and owned the A65+ for over 7 years, and having heard it with may different speakers they're not as warm as the Alpha or Delta ranges. I still have the Alpha 7R in the attic as a backup in case the Leema goes pear shaped.

The early Solos were based on the internals of the A65 and A70, whereas the later ones had the FMJ A18 gizzard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts