Marantz ND8006

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Hi Stuart, yes I Agree with bigh. If your requirements are mainly about the sound of the system I’d keep your sources basic, and if you want to be spending a grand on a source when your amp is around £500, think about what an amp in the £1000 to £1500 class will do to the sound of your system if your speakers are decent. I wouldn’t spend much more than £300 on a streamer if I were you, I’d spend the rest of the cash on amplification. What speakers do you have?

i’d agree With this. Having been in the same boat thinking about upgrading the na6005 to the 8005 I decided to upgrade my amp instead. I was running an Audiolab 8000a as pre with 8000p for power. It sounded god but as on the other thread a Marantz PM14 came up but wouldn’t fit my cabinet. Anyway just before Christmas I got hold of a pair of 8200mb’s for a 850 and wow what a difference. It’s a completely new system. Everything has improved especially the bass line. It’s now tight and clean and every hit is defined and you know exactly which drum is being struck instead of just hearing a duff duff. Voices have amazing clarity. I know I wouldn’t have got as big an upgrade from just upgrading the streamer. Hope this makes sense

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

What about one of these which have a reputation as being fantastic. Also nearly £100 off.

https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-37405-pioneer-n-30ae-network-audio-player.aspx

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys,

The Pioneer looks very good value for the money, i would definitely like to test this, unfortunately no retailers near me stock Pioneer. So does anyone have any experience with this streamer?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Stuart.W.D said:
@Blackabbath25

What was your overall experience of the Marantz PM8005 like for you, if you don't mind me asking what set up did you have with the PM8005 and what made you switch over to Yamaha. I do like the KEF sound, but from your own experience with this amp, would you say the PM8005 can drive a more luxurious speaker than the LS50's?

Hi Stuart,

I use my LS50s with a Devialet D120, and I don't feel the speakers are the weak link here. I have no personal experience with the PM8005, so can't comment on that. But the KEFs are cracking speakers, that thrive on a powerful quality amp.

I don't intend to change my own set-up. But if I'd change anything, I would get a D200 to replace the D120. Just saying...

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Stuart.W.D said:
Thanks guys,

The Pioneer looks very good value for the money, i would definitely like to test this, unfortunately no retailers near me stock Pioneer. So does anyone have any experience with this streamer?

ive tested the Cambridge Audio cxn and bluesound node 2 in my system (signature below), and owned a sonos connect and cyrus stream x2, and cyrus stream x signature, and the one that stands out is the bluesound node 2 for value. It’s the same or similar sound quality as the Cambridge Audio cxn in my system at least and is the best value, has great app interface, terrific dacs which you could put cd sources into. I think the pioneer is great but never heard it, but I think it is eclipsed by the cxn and node 2 in most reviews. I suspect the cxn works better in a Cambridge Audio set up where you benefit from the balanced design. Sources are much of a muchness though and I think the pioneer would be good too but maybe not the best around the price bracket.

TRENDING THREADS