Marantz MCR603 turntable advice

ele101

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
After much research into my first step into the high quality hi fi world, I'm thinking of buying the Marantz MCR603 over the 6004 series. The Richer Sounds deal of the 603 with BX2 speakers for £480 seems very good.

I want to include a turntable but have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer:

1. Is the sound quality of a turntable via the 603 on par with a turntable via the 6004 series?

2. Do I only need a preamp or do I need a preamp along with the standard phono cables?

3. Which preamp would folk recommend?

Many thanks in advance!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The M-CXR603 doesn't have a phono stage built-in, so you'll need either a turntable with built-in phono stage or a separate phono stage to use between turntable and the system.

As phono stages go, we'd suggest this Rega as the best value, allowing you a wide choice of turntables, or you could play it neat and buy a turntable such as the Pro-ject Debut Phono, which will plug directly into one of the line inputs on the M-CR603.

By the way, also worth noting that both the 6004 series and the M-CR603 are set to be replaced in the next few months – see here for details

As far as sound quality is concerned, the PM6004 phono stage is rather good for an amp at this level, whereas the sound with the M-CR603 will depend on the phono solution you choose. But the Rega is excellent, and the phono stage built into the Pro-ject turntable very good too, so it's a matter of having a listen if you can. In either case, you'll need standard phono leads to connect from the phono stage output to the M-CR603, whereas the standard leads on a conventional turntable will connect straight into the PM6004.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
You should also consider other offers from RS like the one with QA 2020i which will have different tonal characteristic that you may prefer over MA BX2's (and it's 30 quid cheaper). They also have one with MX1 which is even cheaper and a few more expensive ones. If you can, arrange a demo.

I have a Pro-Ject Debut Esprit tt connected to my 603 via NAD's PP3i that also has a USB output (in addition to line) which comes handy for transferring vinyl to pc. Never heard phono stage in 6004 so can't comment on how it compares with PP3i, which, though nothing spectacular, does the job well. It also has a switchable line input, so good on features.

As suggested earlier, Rega Fono Mini A2D has been reviewed very well indeed and it should be on top of your list. Rega has USB output as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts