Marantz MCR603 as 2.1 system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am hoping to simplify my current stereo and AV systems into a 'one box' set up and am considering MCR603. Does anyone have any experience of using this as a 2.1 system and if so how does it perform?

It would be used with my current stereo speakers (Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s) in conjunction with the sub from my 5.1 (Boston Acoustics Soundware XS).

A

Anonymous

I'm currently 'borrowing' my brothers B&W PV1 whilst he's away and I have it set up with my system (below in sig) and its superb!!!

I'm currently looking for a sub to go with my CR603 and M/A BX5's; initially didnt want to spend more than £400 but I really do feel now that after demoing the BX sub and now currently listening to the PV1 with my system; I'm going to get a PV1 2nd hand! It's really that good...

For a 2.1 system with both music and movies; it's superb IMO

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies. Glad to hear it sounds good with both music and movies, I'll be making a purchase very soon I think!

A

Anonymous

...and with the AirPlay feature installed it would make my Squeezebox Duet redundant; another box gone!

hollinnp

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
not wishing to start a new thread and being about to buy a very similar set-up I thought I'd tag on the end of this this one - sorry!

I am putting a network capable micro system in my long, thin kitchen (10m x 40m), which will have a speaker at either end. The Marantz (CR603) fits the bill but I'm unsure about the speakers. I'm undecided between Dali Zensor 1s and Monitor Audio Bronzes, with or without a sub. I like a bit of bass (but not mental!). The speakers will be mounted high up on the wall, about a foot and a half beneath the ceiling, 7 foot off the floor.

Many thanks for any advice, Nick.

hollinnp said:
I am putting a network capable micro system in my long, thin kitchen (10m x 4m), which will have a speaker at either end. The Marantz (CR603) fits the bill but I'm unsure about the speakers. I'm undecided between Dali Zensor 1s and Monitor Audio Bronzes, with or without a sub. I like a bit of bass (but not mental!). The speakers will be mounted high up on the wall, about a foot and a half beneath the ceiling, 7 foot off the floor.

If you can accomodate a sub in your kitchen (where, I wonder?) I'd be tempted to try cinema/AV 'pod'-style speakers because of their much smaller size. The results with your otherwise excellent choices will be very dependent on how you mount them, and the influence of the ceiling and any other nearby surfaces. For example, they might sound better upside down.

I did hear some great kitchen sound recently from Linn Komponent 104s driven by a Linn Sneaky, but the speakers were on the worktops. It is your proposed siting that worries me, but if the sound compromises will not concern you, and the cabinets aren't too big, then they may work OK. Might be worth looking and listening to something even tinier, like AE Compact 1s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts