Marantz M-CR603, Worth adding to my system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, hope you've all had a good christmas .

Ok so I'm thinking of buying a Marantz M-CR603 to add into my system that consists of a Marantz CD-53, Yamaha RX-V765 AV amp and some Monitor Audio BX2's. I might get the chance to demo tomorrow so I can make my mind up weather it will be a worthwhile upgrade to stereo performance. But time depending it may be a blind buy.

Basically do you think I will notice an improved stereo performance over my Yamaha AV amp? Or will I be better off with something like the Marantz PM6004?

I would love to add something like the Roksan Kandy but its way out my price range for now.

One of the reasons I like the idea of the 603 is I can replace my CD player that has a tendency to skip sometimes, although its bearable it can be a pain.

So I would be appreciated if anyone could tell me if I will notice an improved performance from the M-CR603, thanks.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
From what people say on here, I'd defo demo the little Marantz unit......

It seems to feature in the Xmas sales too, so can be found for just over £300!!!

A

Anonymous

I heard one of these running a pair of KEF Q100's and it sounded excellent.

T

the record spot

Apologies for the off-topic, but can you tell me what you think of the KEF R100s you have Mark? I'm off to hear some tomorrow morning - bright, bass-heavy, well balanced...?

A

Anonymous

I love them, they can sound a little bright if not partnered correctly, but with exceptional detail. They have a wide dispersion due to the tweeter, so not so fussy about a sweet spot, which is perfect for my room. Another strength is good mid range and just the right amount of bottom end. Not as much bass depth as the r300 due to their size, in my room they are quiet close to the wall, which gives the bass a little boost. I'm still surprised by how much bass they produce from a small cabinet. The timing is spot on too. What drew me to these, as I mentioned earlier, was the level of detail they portray from sound tracks, the atmosphere in movies is excellent. Let me know how you get on at your demo, I'm interested to hear your thoughts too.

A

Anonymous

Back to the Marantz...

I bought this all-in-one a couple of months ago and its golden! I've paired it up to a couple of B&W 685s and it is more than capable of running them... The Marantz does not have the power to puch the speakers to their limit, but then again, neither do my ear drums!!

The CD player is pretty silent and the DAB+ receiver works very well. Plus its networkable so you can stream off your network drive if you have a digital library. I haven't networked mine yet but I'm moving house in about 6 months time and I have prepared network points for it.

I think its a great little unit and definitely worth considering!

Let us know how it goes!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input guys. I don't think I'm going to have time to demo today but I'm increasingly tempted to pop in to town and buy this.

I just need to know will I notice a difference in sound quality compared to my AV amp? And if so what sort of difference. Im sorry to be asking silly questions but i've never heard a good quality separate system before so don't have much to compare to. Thanks

T

the record spot

markjaspi said:
I love them, they can sound a little bright if not partnered correctly, but with exceptional detail. They have a wide dispersion due to the tweeter, so not so fussy about a sweet spot, which is perfect for my room. Another strength is good mid range and just the right amount of bottom end. Not as much bass depth as the r300 due to their size, in my room they are quiet close to the wall, which gives the bass a little boost. I'm still surprised by how much bass they produce from a small cabinet. The timing is spot on too. What drew me to these, as I mentioned earlier, was the level of detail they portray from sound tracks, the atmosphere in movies is excellent. Let me know how you get on at your demo, I'm interested to hear your thoughts too.

Hi Mark, thanks for the feedback. I didn't have as good a time with the KEFs alas, mostly I think as they probably still needed some running in still. The bass was a little too prominent and the end result became a little congested in some cases. Nice looking speakers though, but I didn't want to take the risk with them in the end. Went for the ones in the signature line below which were excellent.

A

Anonymous

Hi all, I took the plunge with the CD-R603, blind buy as I didn't have the time to audition but I must say it is a blinding bit of kit.

Initially I wasn't impressed, didn't sound much better than my AV amp but I put that down do it sitting in the boot of my car for a good few hours which left it extremely cold. Once warmed up though it brought new life to my music.

I've listened to Noel Gallagher's High Flighing Birds extensively on my old system and in the car since release. I put the track AKA what a life on and it was like listening to a different song! A drum beat that I never really heard before, crisp vocals and a rhythm about it, same with If I Had A Gun.

I've tried to listen to as much as I can in the last few weeks which has been hard with a 12 week old baby but my wife likes playing Eva Cassidys Songbird and I have to say sounds fantastic on this system.

Also I find Airplay a very good feature, played a Rhinah track that is not my kind of music at all, but I could have sworn it was using the sub! It really has brought my MA BX2's to life.

All in all I'm well pleased with my purchase and would recommend it highly, like I said in OP I don't have much to compare it too but I'm very pleased.

Now I'm just about to rerun my AV amps set up as I have this integrated into my HT set-up and have just got round to doing it.

One question though as I don't have the Yamaha's manual to hand, when I set volumes before I run it I will have the Marrantz set to 12 as this is around average listening volume, should I set the Yamaha's volume to 0db?

A

Anonymous

Ok so i done a set up and its saying no front speakers!! Is this because its connected by pre outs? Ahh can someone help?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
chrissy657 said:
Ok so i done a set up and its saying no front speakers!! Is this because its connected by pre outs? Ahh can someone help?

I did this recently.........

Disconnect speaker cable for front speakers from AV amp.

Connect via front pre out to a line in.

Use that line in, and set volume of stereo amp to 12 o clock.

Use AV amp settings to increase/decease output of front speakers to match the centre and rear speaker volumes.

I did this manually and with my ears, rather than using the built in set up process...

A

Anonymous

Disconnect speaker cable for front speakers from AV amp. Connect via front pre out to a line in. Use that line in, and set volume of stereo amp to 12 o clock.
Pistol Pete1 said:
Hi Pete thanks for the quick reply but I'm confused by this. Do I disconnect the speaker cable from the amp then connect the phono leads to line in??? Im sorry if this sounds stupid but how can the speakers output a signal to the set up mic if disconnected?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
chrissy657 said:

Disconnect speaker cable for front speakers from AV amp. Connect via front pre out to a line in. Use that line in, and set volume of stereo amp to 12 o clock.
Pistol Pete1 said:
Hi Pete thanks for the quick reply but I'm confused by this. Do I disconnect the speaker cable from the amp then connect the phono leads to line in??? Im sorry if this sounds stupid but how can the speakers output a signal to the set up mic if disconnected?

sorry......

disconnect front speaker cable from av amp (yamaha??).......front speakers only.

Marantz needs speaker cable to the fronts, as your using the marantz to run them (right??)

connect phono lead from pre out (front speakers) on yamaha to any phono input on the marantz.

switch to that input on marantz.....then move marantz volume to 12 o clock....

Use test tone feature on yamaha set up and check all speakers have test tone coming through

Adjust levels so all sound the same from sitting position.....job done, without using the set up mic.

hope that is easier to understand?

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for quick reply, thats how I have it set up. Ran once more and same error. I've downloaded a SPL from android market on my Galaxy S2 and set up manually but I have to set the Yamaha AV amp to max on front R and L speaker level and the Marantz to volume 40! Surely this cant be right as when I switch to another input on Marantz i.e. CD or internet radio it nearly blows my speakers up. I must be doing something wrong.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Nice app!!!!

I set my 60 watts per channel stereo amp (Pioneer) to 12 o clock, and had to adjust the front levels to +10.5db's on my Denon.....

If I forget to turn down the amp volume for cd listening, I fear my KEF's will be very very loud!!! Only ever got up to about 10 o clock with cd listening before, and that was loud......

A

Anonymous

So are you saying that I have something wrong with my setup. Sorry if I don't understand your post correctly I'm very tired!!!

A

Anonymous

I've just noticed an option in the Marantz speaker-6db do you think this would make a difference?

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I love MCR603...Elegant, small, excellent sound with warmth and features. I listen to dub-techno/psy/ambient, deep/tech-house, techno, ambient, Idm, rock, heavy metal, non commercial pop-indie; all music is handled well and clear. I use this system also to stream Network Radio, listen to Dab Radio and FM which all work well.. Also just got into streaming from my PC and am now on the way to setting up NAS, also has Apple Airplay (Just make sure when using this to turn the volume down on your Iphone/Ipad If set high on Unit and Phone it will blast out - can be controlled on Phone/Pad).

A system at the price I feel you get more then you pay for without quality shortcuts!. You can use Homeplugs to stream from you WiFi wirelessly if needed (I do that).

A

Anonymous

Hi, I take it your putting the 603 through your AV. If I'm correct you may want to go on you tube, then type, what hi-fi how to. Theres a video how to connect a micro to an AV. Not sure which micro but the video is WHF staff showing and explaining how too. Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

Thanks but i've tried the what hifi video. It all seems to be connected correctly just I'm having to turn the volume up on marrantz for the HT side of things then remember to turn it back down when listening to a CD. I've already forgot a few times this week and nearly blew my speakers of the stands!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts