Marantz m-cr603 with kef ls50.... Stupid idea?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
Thompsonuxb said:
I'm always amazed at the size of some standmount speakers on stands, the Epic 2 are huge and have a bigger footprint than many floorstanding designs......

Did not think they were that large: 415 x 210 x 280, taller than most yes.

As for getting floorstanders instead there is one difference the Epic 2s need to be Not less than 10 cm (4”) from rear wall, don't think many floorstanders recomend that, also lots of other reasons not to buy floorstanders esp. at that price.

I was in superfi last week haggling over the price of a Yamaha rx-a1020 - trying to get them to match the price they're going for on a certain web site. While they were authenticating the price I had a good walk round the shop floor. Those Epics and the CM5's ( in white ) on stands tower over most of the floorstanders in the shop and make the likes of the BX5's and Zensor 5's look positively tiny by comparison, even the rx6's looked small in comparison

They're noticebly wider and deeper, if not equal in depth. to the floorstanders on show.in the flesh they're big.

The MCR-603 has tone controls so the bass may not be an issue and most speakers are affected by their proximety to walls too. And stands included push the price well above the floorstanders too. IMO it may be worth auditioning these 'small' floorstanding speakers just to compare - if the op intends to place these 'standmounts' on ....er...stands.

Gradofan

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
There are very few speakers that can match the sound of the LS50's... when... properly set up and driven... until you get into a range of 10X their price.

But... that's the caveat... they require a powerful amp, and a great source to excell. And... then... they do have great bass, even without a good sub. Though, I use the R400b for the lowest notes... they... really don't need it. Unless you're into the "boom" of HT or car audio, which I am not. They give me just superb audiophile bass. And are superb in all other respects - just disappearing into the soundstage and wall of "real live sound."

You will not be disappointed... IF... you're prepared to set them up properly.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
BigH said:
Thompsonuxb said:
I'm always amazed at the size of some standmount speakers on stands, the Epic 2 are huge and have a bigger footprint than many floorstanding designs......

Did not think they were that large: 415 x 210 x 280, taller than most yes.

As for getting floorstanders instead there is one difference the Epic 2s need to be Not less than 10 cm (4”) from rear wall, don't think many floorstanders recomend that, also lots of other reasons not to buy floorstanders esp. at that price.

I was in superfi last week haggling over the price of a Yamaha rx-a1020 - trying to get them to match the price they're going for on a certain web site. While they were authenticating the price I had a good walk round the shop floor. Those Epics and the CM5's ( in white ) on stands tower over most of the floorstanders in the shop and make the likes of the BX5's and Zensor 5's look positively tiny by comparison, even the rx6's looked small in comparison

They're noticebly wider and deeper, if not equal in depth. to the floorstanders on show.in the flesh they're big.

The MCR-603 has tone controls so the bass may not be an issue and most speakers are affected by their proximety to walls too. And stands included push the price well above the floorstanders too. IMO it may be worth auditioning these 'small' floorstanding speakers just to compare - if the op intends to place these 'standmounts' on ....er...stands.

If the standmount speakers are tall then they should be on lower stands, ie the tweeters should be about ear level. As for stands you can get reasonable stands for about £50-£70. To be honest there are more problems with cheap floorstanders than stand mount speakers, yes they may take up more space but positioning is generally easier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts