Marantz m-cr 611 with active speakers and separate subwoofer

judith.wirth

Jan 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi
i have a Marantz m-cr 611 that i have owned for several years and i like it very much. I currently have a separate subwoofer and Dali Zensor 3 Speakers attached.

Most of the time I listen to music at relatively low level, because of the roommates.

I have now purchased a pair of Audioengine A5+ active speakers at a bargain price and am considering using them on the Marantz.

My question: Can I simultaneously connect the active sub and the active speakers to the system?

The Marantz has only one pre-out. But I remember reading that the Audioengine still has one output. Or maybe it is possible to connect 2 devices to one pre-out?

Thanks.

Judith from Switzerland

manicm

Yes you can.

1. Connect your 611 to the A5+ from 'Audio Out' to 'Input'. Remember you can set this to Fixed (volume controlled by A5+ only) or Variable (volume can be controlled by both with some adjustment needed according to taste).

2. Connect the subwoofer to the A5+ via its 'OUTPUT'. Remember this is variable, so Subwoofer output can be set by both the A5+ and the subwoofer itself. Again, adjustments to taste will be needed on both, or get advice.

judith.wirth

Jan 20, 2022
Visit site
Great, Thanks!

You seem to be an Expert. Can i ask you something else?

Do you think the Setup with the A5+ speakers will lead to an improvment in Sound quality at low volume over the Dali Zensor?

Thanks.

Judith

manicm

I think the A5+ may sound better at low volumes, but that should be easy for you to test?

If it does convince you, I would consider getting a moderately priced streamer like one from iFi, and then use your Marantz/Dali as a second room system. Unless of-course you still want to use FM.

judith.wirth

Jan 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have tested the Audioengine Speakers and they sound terrible!

At low volume they are outperformed BY FAR by my Dali Zensor 3.

They have no Bass at all and they even sound poor with a dedicated sub.

I will re-Sell them.

So, my question is: I i want an upgrade when i listen al low volume to the Dali Zensor 3 for my 500 something squarefeet livingroom, what would you suggest? The Size does not really matter, can be a Shelf speaker or a Floorstander. And i am open wether they are active or passive.

My Budget: I would say, let's not talk about Money. but it has to be somehow reasonable. I would not Pay 5000 Euros for the Speakers to add to the Marantz. This would make no sense. But i would like to get some Quality Speakers with good Sound.

Thanks for your suggestions.

manicm

Indeed, that's a very large room. To get well controlled speakers with that Marantz you are going to need some very efficient floorstanders, I would suggest.
Something along the lines of Focal Chora 826 I would think.

I don't think so. It has high sensitivity, but low minimum impedance, and Focal state a minimum of 40w amplification.

Budget wise it's also a bit overkill.

Come to think of it, if Judith can audition I would also seriously look at the Klipsch RP600, apart from many of the usual suspects.

Judith, may I suggest Monitor Audio 100? It will offer a good lift to your smooth Marantz.
Personally, in tha
I don't think so. It has high sensitivity, but low minimum impedance, and Focal state a minimum of 40w amplification.

Come to think of it, if Judith can audition I would also seriously look at the Klipsch RP600, apart from many of the usual suspects.
Perhaps budget wise but that's debatable considering what The Marantz cost when it first came out, but I don't think you are going to fill that size room with those standmounts, particularly at low volumes.
Doesn't the Marantz produce 60wpc? Whatever the Focals are more efficient than your suggestion and that's what is needed here I feel.
Let's face it trying to get good sound in a going or that size with a marantz, and at low volume, or was going to suggest headphones.... :)

Reactions: judith.wirth

manicm

Personally, in tha

Perhaps budget wise but that's debatable considering what The Marantz cost when it first came out, but I don't think you are going to fill that size room with those standmounts, particularly at low volumes.
Doesn't the Marantz produce 60wpc? Whatever the Focals are more efficient than your suggestion and that's what is needed here I feel.
Let's face it trying to get good sound in a going or that size with a marantz, and at low volume, or was going to suggest headphones.... :)

Marantz do quote 60w, but as with most budget D/M products the devil is in the fine print, it's probably truer to around 35w.

As for the Focal you mentioned - the devil is in its minimum 2.9 ohms. The Marantz will not , even on paper, be having an easy jig with this speaker.

So I still very respectfully somewhat disagree. Maybe in practice I'll be wrong.

Marantz do quote 60w, but as with most budget D/M products the devil is in the fine print, it's probably truer to around 35w.

As for the Focal you mentioned - the devil is in its minimum 2.9 ohms. The Marantz will not , even on paper, not be having an easy jig with this speaker.

So I still very respectfully somewhat disagree.
Where does the 2.9 ohm come from?

manicm

I see it now. Thanks.
however I stick by my suggestion that your standmounts still aren't going to move enough air to cut it at low volumes in a room of that size.
the Marantz needs a rethink.
Efficient floorstanders is the only way to go

I took the 5000 Euros Judith mentioned literally at first. The Marantz should be replaced if budget permits, or a power amplifier added, that way no features are lost.

judith.wirth

Jan 20, 2022
Visit site

Hi, thanks. Which are the usual suspects?

I took the 5000 Euros Judith mentioned literally at first. The Marantz should be replaced if budget permits, or a power amplifier added, that way no features are lost.
I didn't. The Focals are quite happy on the end of a 40wpc Naim Uniti Atom.
in my opinion adding a power amplifier to the Marantz is nonsense of you don't have speakers that will adequately fill the room, with sufficient bass response at low volumes, in the first place.
However, it is up to the OP to decide for herself exactly what she requires and the best way to go about it, regardless of our apparent differences in opinions.

manicm

I didn't. The Focals are quite happy on the end of a 40wpc Naim Uniti Atom.
in my opinion adding a power amplifier to the Marantz is nonsense of you don't have speakers that will adequately fill the room, with sufficient bass response at low volumes, in the first place.
However, it is up to the OP to decide for herself exactly what she requires and the best way to go about it, regardless of our apparent differences in opinions.

The Naim has a beefier power supply than the Marantz, naturally, as it should at the price. You're not really comparing like to like. My mum's little Denon Ceol N10 is also rated at 60w, yet they want 6ohm minimum rated 3rd party speakers.

And my nonsense assumed getting new speakers. I still think those Focals may be a bit of a stretch for the Marantz. But a dealer could help.

Last edited:

manicm

Hi, thanks. Which are the usual suspects?

Hi Judith, B&W, Wharfedale, Dali, Monitor Audio, Q Acoustics, Acoustic Energy. They would all have compatible standmounts.

Where we all sort of agree is that more amplifier power would not go amiss in your room, to enable larger floorstanding speakers.

It all depends of course on your budget, and we won't assume anything.

One option, I maintain, would be to add a power amplifier to your Marantz, which then enables you to use larger floorstanding speakers at reasonable budget i.e. not thousands of Euros for both components.

manicm

Judith, with your system as is, I would suggest you try out an easily obtainable 'usual suspect' - the B&W 606 S2. This model and its predecessors have traditionally offered a big sound with excellent soundstage. It may be worth a try. Do you have a local hifi retailer? Twist an arm or two to trial a pair at your home.

Also the Klipsch RP 600

judith.wirth

Jan 20, 2022
Visit site
Hello Everyone, thanks for sharing your intersting thoughts and suggestions. Wow, what a wealth of expertise.

So, if i had let's say a budget of 1500 to 2000 euros, whout that be a reasonable Budget to get something that performs better at low volume? How would i invest it best, regardless of what i have right now?

manicm

Hello Everyone, thanks for sharing your intersting thoughts and suggestions. Wow, what a wealth of expertise.

So, if i had let's say a budget of 1500 to 2000 euros, whout that be a reasonable Budget to get something that performs better at low volume? How would i invest it best, regardless of what i have right now?

That's a great budget. You've given us homework. Good night.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts