Marantz HEOS App vs Audiolab DTS Play-Fi App

LEOopasni2709

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
Hello everyone.

So after looking for speakers I think I am settled on AE300. As I didn't have time to hear them with Audiolab 6000A Play that is the only thing that is left to do :) AE300 paired with Marantz PM7000N sounds great to me but maybe Audiolab will sound better. But before I listen to it I must ask if someone has any experinece with both/one of these apps and what are your impressions. Thank you :)

PlastermanOG

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
Unfortunately both apps aren't great, that seems to be the general consensus anyway.
You'll have to do some homework on which one suits your use case, if you're dead set on choosing between Audiolab and Marantz.

Reactions: LEOopasni2709

LEOopasni2709

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
Unfortunately both apps aren't great, that seems to be the general consensus anyway.
You'll have to do some homework on which one suits your use case, if you're dead set on choosing between Audiolab and Marantz.
Well, they are only ones that have streamer option inside. I could eventually get Musical Fidelity M2SI and standalone streamer but then I don't get good discount for speakers because they are in different store...so that goes out of my price range and I don't get to hear it paired with AE300s. Considering SQ Marantz sounds quite nice to me, but I still have to hear Audiolab so I was just wondering on some quirks and problems of each app because net time I go to store I will most likely go home with either of those two :)

Reactions: PlastermanOG

Messiah

I use the HEOS app with my Denon receiver for Spotify and the occasional Tune-In radio stream.

It does what I need but I think it's strength will come from multi-room/devices which I have not tested so far having only 1 HEOS device.

In basic use I had to set up a HEOS account online and then log into the HEOS app. Then I log into Spotify and Tune-In via the app (tweak the audio quality to set it to its highest level) and away you go.

If my receiver is off I can open the App, press play and it will switch on the receiver and begin playing. Simple.

Whilst I can then continue to control Spotify (to an extent) I prefer to just use the Spotify app once music is playing.

I can also see it being useful if you subscribe to several services as it keeps them all together.

Also very easy to add/remove services and re-arrange their order.

Ultimately I think it works well.

LEOopasni2709

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
I use the HEOS app with my Denon receiver for Spotify and the occasional Tune-In radio stream.

It does what I need but I think it's strength will come from multi-room/devices which I have not tested so far having only 1 HEOS device.

In basic use I had to set up a HEOS account online and then log into the HEOS app. Then I log into Spotify and Tune-In via the app (tweak the audio quality to set it to its highest level) and away you go.

If my receiver is off I can open the App, press play and it will switch on the receiver and begin playing. Simple.

Whilst I can then continue to control Spotify (to an extent) I prefer to just use the Spotify app once music is playing.

I can also see it being useful if you subscribe to several services as it keeps them all together.

Also very easy to add/remove services and re-arrange their order.

Ultimately I think it works well.
So you can use standalone app (Deezer, Spotify, etc.) once you initially started amp up with HEOS and music is playing?

Vincent Kars

Had a look here https://www.audiolab.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/6000A-manual-416-1078010003R-180704-1.pdf
Looks like it can't be controlled by any app except Bluetooth. Obvious not a streamer. You can turn it into one by adding a WiiM and connect it over Toslink or Coax.

HEOS is UPnP compatible so if you don't like the HEOS app, any UPnP enabled app will do the job e.g. BubbleUPnP.
The OP is describing the Play version which has a streamer inbuilt.

Last edited:

LEOopasni2709

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
I've used HEOS extensively and it's perfectly fine. It has Spotify Connect but Tidal must be used within the app - tip; make your own playlists first.

It doesn't suffer from the flaws of PlayFi though. I'd stay far away from that.
I guess I will go with Marantz even in case Audiolab sounds better (or not, I'll se when I try) I don't want that much hassle because that would kill my enjoyment. So probably Deezer needs to be used from the HEOS app too.

LEOopasni2709

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
Had a look here https://www.audiolab.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/6000A-manual-416-1078010003R-180704-1.pdf
Looks like it can't be controlled by any app except Bluetooth. Obvious not a streamer. You can turn it into one by adding a WiiM and connect it over Toslink or Coax.

HEOS is UPnP compatible so if you don't like the HEOS app, any UPnP enabled app will do the job e.g. BubbleUPnP.
Just googled a bit and BubbleUPnP sounds like good solution. Thanks for info :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts