Marantz Gear

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Seems odd that Marantz and Denon (partner companies), seem to have exchanged the mantels of making great vs average hi-fi and home cinema, doesn't it? Hmmm, not that I'm a cynic when it comes to marketing tactics or anything... Anyway, I'm curious how the reviewers rate the stereo CD output of the £300 Marantz DV6001 in the latest issue against the two current standalone players, the £170 CD5001 (including the CD5001 OSE if anybody has heard one), and the £270 CD 6002. (I've included the RRP's as much for my benefit when I come back to this post as for anything else). Whaddya think?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Marantz DV6001 offers good CD replay for a DVD player, but the CD6002 murders it in stereo. Then again, the latter isn't much good playing movies....

Using one player to do music and movies always involves an element of compromise, sadly - all we can do is point you in the direction of the least-compromised AV kit in terms of stereo, should you want to have a do-it-all machine.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I hardly had time to make a cup of tea before you replied Clare - soooper fast!!!

Muchos tagliatelli, as I think the Italians say.

I'm kinda stumped about which route to go down. Basically I need a CD player for the home cinema setup (the old Pioneer DVD player is very limited in this role). The front speakers are to be replaced with Tannoy's Mercury F1's (my old M1's are doing sterling work at the mo, sounding pretty darned good - considering the less than ideal location and the rear ports). I bought a Toshiba SD370 the other week and am impressed with that, so a new DVD isn't essential, but the Toshiba could easily be re-homed in the bedroom. I just can't decide whether to upgrade the CD and DVD in one fell swoop with a combined unit (and added domestic harmony), or keep the Toshiba downstairs, and just buy a CD player.

I suppose buying the combined unit, I could always buy a standalone CD player later anyway... Hmmm.

A

Anonymous

I find Marantz CD players,good,but very over rated,especially the CD63SE all those yours ago.The CD5001 to me was a poor player,thin,bright and harsh.But if you want the best of both worlds,I would get a DVD player and add a high quality DAC.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I always like Marantz gear. I think it always complemented more Marantz gear best though, and not always anything else.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="strobo"]Whaddya think?[/quote]
I think you have a longest signature I have ever seen in any forums and your bedroom system sound better than your main one!

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think you're right on both counts mate.

The bedroom system was bought ten years ago, but on a bit of a whim. I was about to lose my job so blew my last full pay packet on my first proper hi-fi gear. Best pay packet I ever blew. I always intended to upgrade to things like the CD63KI etc, but the money and the inclination were never really there.

The main system is slowly replacing existing stuff which I had little say in the purchase of. Now I've got my grubby little mitts on the living room sound system I'm making the most of it. But as most of the essential bits are already there, there's no point rushing into things.

The Denon receiver has been a revelation though. It really is a massive leap forward from my old PM-57 amp (not exactly hi spec even ten years ago, but very nice all the same). I'm not sure I'll find such a leap forwards from a new CD player though. But time will tell.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="strobo"]I always intended to upgrade to things like the CD63KI etc,[/quote]

I still think Marantz 63 ose KI still one of the best bargain in Hifi world today, if I have to sell my system and got only £500 to spend on replacement they would be the 1st item I would buy (£150-ish for a good condition one). I still own a marantz CD17 Ki which I moded myself and sometime I think it's not that much better than the 63 KI!

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think I remember the CD17KI. Was that the one available in black or champagne (that slightly golden silvery colour)? As I remember they made a matching amp with a meter in the middle and nothing else on the fascia. The meter had a little blue LED didn't it? On looks alone I thought that was the CD/amp combo to end all combo's.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
That's the one! lush and smooth, doesn't suite all taste but great for main steam brit pop and 70's rock, highly recommended.

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
As far as CD players are concerned I'm definitely a Marantz fan ....apart from an early Technics I've had various Marantz players for about 20 years. As far as one-box players go I see no reason to buy any other make (and their new affordable player seems a good un' according to WH)

My own favourite was the CD 85 SE a wonderfully built player which I bought whilst still firmly committed to vinyl simply because it's bass control was the nearest thing I'd heard to compete with a high end turntable. if you can get hold of a used one in good nick on ebay I'd go for it even now.

I've heard some of the other cheaper Marantz's and enjoyed them as well ...although there is a "Marantz sound" that may not be to everyone's taste.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
If anyone want a decent cdp for £50 - £70 I always recomended Marantz 67 MK2. Plenty around 2nd hand so walk away from a tatty example, original box add £5 to the value and remote control can be find easily for less than tenner. Match it with PM66 OSE and a pair of B&W601....bingo! a very good hifi system for £250.

A

Anonymous

Hi all!

jetjohnson, what do you mean by a ""Marantz sound" that may not be to everyone's taste ?". How would you characterize the "Marantz" sound ?

My CD player is a Technics SL-PS670D, from around ten years ago (the same age as the rest of the components). Since you've had a Technics yourself, do you think I will like the transition to the new Marantz CD6002 ?

The rest of the kit is comprised of a NAD 312 amp and original B&W DM602 speakers.

Thanks!

[quote user="jetjohnson"]

As far as CD players are concerned I'm definitely a Marantz fan ....apart from an early Technics I've had various Marantz players for about 20 years. As far as one-box players go I see no reason to buy any other make (and their new affordable player seems a good un' according to WH)

My own favourite was the CD 85 SE a wonderfully built player which I bought whilst still firmly committed to vinyl simply because it's bass control was the nearest thing I'd heard to compete with a high end turntable. if you can get hold of a used one in good nick on ebay I'd go for it even now.

I've heard some of the other cheaper Marantz's and enjoyed them as well ...although there is a "Marantz sound" that may not be to everyone's taste.
[/quote]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts