Marantz CD5001 OSE?

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi,
A friend of mine is looking for a budget CD player. He has found a good deal for a Marantz CD5001 OSE
Although there is a positive WhatHiFi review for Marantz CD5001 I can't find anything for the OSE edition.
Is it any good? Is the OSE version better than the 'normal' version?
I have a CD6002 and I tried to convince him to go for it instead of the CD5001 OSE but there is a 120 euros difference
Is there any review of the CD5001 OSE anywhere?

Thanks for your help
Dennis

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The standard Marantz CD5001 (£170 here in the UK) is a very fine CD player that works well with all types of music, as you can read here, but we haven't tested the OSE version.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
It is possible to listen to it but the configuration of the dealer is much different....
Besides, neither me nor my friend have the technical background to decide if the sound is really good
In the past the Marantz's SE editions used to havea better sound than the non SE editions but who knows if this is the case also with CD5001. I think I will tell him to spend the extra 90 GBP and buy the CD6002 instead (or save even more and buy the CD5001 which we know sounds decently)

A

Anonymous

Firstly, I would argue that the most important knowledge that you need is not to be found between your ears. Rather, trust your ears. If they cannot tell the difference between a £150 player and a £250 player then save yourself some money and put it towards a good chair in which you can comfortably listen to your music.

Secondly, I bought a new CD player around two years ago. My local Practical Hi-Fi were very obliging with an audition, using the same amp and speakers as those I have at home. The assistant was not sure that there would be any noticeable difference between the 5001 and its OSE sibling but I suggested that, as it was only around thirty or forty pounds more, it would be worth finding out. Listening to The Verve's "Urban Hymns" and The Stone Roses first album, the OSE was able to pick out more detail and presented a more spirited performance.

I've no idea how it compares with the CD6002 as I didn't have the extra money at the time but I would strongly recommend the CD 5001 OSE.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Luke

A

Anonymous

There are some reviews (inevitably) in the German magazines - Stereoplay gives it 76 points and rates it as "good to very good" while Stereo gives it 4 out of 5 stars.

This is actually a good result, since they rate against equipment irrespective of price category. The 6002 rates a bit higher 77 pts), but not much. Both magazines have sites are online, if you want to check.

But I agree with what other have said - in the end it's your ears that count, not the reviewers'. Don't think you'd go wrong with either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts