marantz cr603 arrived today advice needed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Good Man!! :cheers:

I also had the 603 which I bought on a bit of a “whim” in January of this year. After a few very short days and with no real extended listening with it, I decided that I preferred my Marantz CD6003/PM6003 combo so I boxed it up and pretty much forgot about it.

Some time afterwards I moved on to an all-Rega system. Cutting a long story short I ended up not being able to live with it, so out of curiosity as much as anything else I thought I’d give the 603 another go. This time around I did give it a proper try, and you know what? I loved it!, and far more listenable to my ears than the Rega system turned out to be.

Nasty financial brown stuff forced it’s sale, but believe me I will be buying another one. Give it a proper chance and see how you get on with it; if you don’t like it, fine, but at least you’ll have given it a go.

All the best!

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
thanks mate. can i ask though, i have just discovered the dbb tone so i adjusted the bass and treble accordingly as opposed to using the source direct , so i dont know if this is normal for cr603 owners or not or whether the sourse direct sounds better when the system is properly run in

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well I don’t believe in system “run-in”, but I’m not starting a debate on that!

As with all tone controls/EQ it’s purely a matter of personal preference. I prefer source direct whenever possible, but I find tone controls have their uses for particularly poor or harsh recordings. Likewise they can be very useful for late night low volume listening to give your music a bit of a bass boost (that’s what the “Loudness” button is for on some amplifiers, although some work better than others). I much prefer to have tone controls than not as long as there is a “Direct” mode to bypass them.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
yeah i prefer source direct. ive just popped into hughes and bought some cheap 79 strand and will try that in single wire mode if its no better ive only lost a tenner, cheers mate

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well give it a good few days to adjust to the sound.

I didn't when I bought mine, and if I had got on better with my then new system I probably would never have lstened to it again. And remember, you're in no rush to send it back within the 30 days so just see how it goes.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
audioaddict said:
yeah i prefer source direct. ive just popped into hughes and bought some cheap 79 strand and will try that in single wire mode if its no better ive only lost a tenner, cheers mate

let us know how you get on with the cheap single cable, i think you might be surprised, BTW when I had a 'play' with a demo model in the shop I prefered the source direct as well for well recorded stuff, but it also sounded rather good with the treble at flat and the bass up a couple of notches, gave a lovely full sound without any obvious colouration , but that could have been the tannoys .

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I will do johnno i will have a go at it tomorrow. Talking about the tone controls when mine was bi wired i found the sound too closed in but sounded much better when the treble was turned up a bit and a bit of bass was added. the sound really opened up a bit so when i single wire tommorow i will set it back to source direct and go from there. i did hear the 603 last year in richer sounds running into dali fazor 5 obviously single wired and it sounded awsome so hopefully i will get there tomorrow. will keep you posted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts