marantz cr603 arrived today advice needed

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
system arrived today so connected it up when i got home from work. my question/s are ..... my speaker cables are bi wire cable and according to the manual my only option is to listen to the system in bi amp mode which halves the power to 25 watts per channel . will this damage my speakers if i wanna turn the volume up a bit ? also am i loosing out on sound quality with the power halved ?? i guess my final question is how long will it take for this to run in as at the moment it all sounds a bit closed in... thanks for any help guys

A

Anonymous

I'm a new cr603 owner and, as far as I understand, the output is a maximum of 25W to each of the 4 speaker connections when you are using bi-amp mode.

As to whether this will damage your speakers; very unlikely unless they have a very low power rating. What speakers are you using?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh i se . well my speakers.are.bw cm1s which do thrive on alot of power . ive got the system on now and just doesnt sound right to me even though i know its not been run in. what if i put my connector back onto the speaker terminal which would render them as single wired would that help do you think

A

Anonymous

Worth trying the speakers single wire.

Edit - have you made sure that you have selected bi-amp speaker mode on the CR603 when connecting your speakers bi amp? Sorry that this is a dumb question but not doing this is about the only reason that I can think of that would cause problems, other than broken cable, poor connection etc.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
audioaddict said:
what if i put my connector back onto the speaker terminal
NO! Don't do it! Well not unless you just mean going back to a single wire. If you mean putting the links back with both pairs of cables attached and the '603 still in 'bi-amp' mode, that will short the outputs of the LF and HF amps together and you'll fry them. (EDIT: P33 of your manual specifically warns you about this).

Anyway...if you really want to biamp your speakers, surely 25W RMS p/c should be loud enough to make your ears bleed unless you live in a room the size of a concert hall. Are the CM1s really that difficult to drive?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
no they not hard to drive but they do thrive on a bit of power . i will leave it as it is for a few days and if it doesnt improve will send it back and get an amp and cd player. oh and yes i uave selected bi amp thanks guys

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
audioaddict said:
i will leave it as it is for a few days and if it doesnt improve will send it back and get an amp and cd player. oh and yes i uave selected bi amp thanks guys

So it's "bi-amp or bust" then?

Have you tried it single wired yet?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
im gonna be a bit thick chebby by asking how i do that with my bi wire cable . do i put the metal things back into the speaker terminals ?

A

Anonymous

Personally I'd use a 2-4 formation and connect the normal 2 speaker connections on the back of your CR603 and then connect all FOUR of the speaker terminals on your CM1's

This is how I have mine set-up with my RX2's in the spare room

Dont forget to remove the speaker terminal connectors if they're still in situ on your CM1's

With regards to the cables; all you need to do is at the CR603 end; undo the cables from the plugs and connect both RED cables & both BLACK cables into ONE same coloured plug

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
To single wire – assuming you have some single wire cable - connect up the jumper plates on the speakers, then your speaker cable to the amp and speakers in the normal way

Whether it’s better to connect your red/black to the LF or HF terminals on the speakers shouldn’t in theory make any difference. It was suggested to me with a previous pair of bi-wireable speakers to connect one to LF and the other to HF for each speaker – did the job and didn’t play around any further.

This way you can compare bi-amping. bi-wiring, and single wiring. Hope you get sorted.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
thanks for your help guys but as already stated i only have bi wire cable and can now only find two of my cm1 speaker connectors so maybe im stuffed. i will give it a few days running in in its present configuration and if i dont get on with it its going back

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Step 1 - Buy some cheap runs of copper cable of decent thickness.

Step 2 - Attach to speakers and amp with or without banana plugs/spades

Step 3 - Use short sections of the same cable in place of missing jumper plates

Step 4 - ???

Step 5 - Profit!!!

audioaddict said:
thanks for your help guys but as already stated i only have bi wire cable and can now only find two of my cm1 speaker connectors so maybe im stuffed. i will give it a few days running in in its present configuration and if i dont get on with it its going back

Audioaddict. I've just opened a cupboard and found some single wire Chord Carnival Silver Plus. Both are about 6' long. They have bare ends, and if you want them ask Andrew for my email address and I'll send them off. Don't want any money, but if you don't like them just send them back.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You're making a mountain out of a molehill. If you want to single-wire but you've lost the links, surely all you need to do is strip the ends long enough so they pass through both the LF and HF posts on the speakers, which I see from Googling your speakers are even conveniently located one pair above the other. Wiring-up a pair of speakers is not exactly rocket science.

Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Plastic penguin thats really very kind i will get back to you.

and yes thank you major i know full well.how to wire up a pair of speakers thanks its just i dont need any more faff and expense with a system i might not even keep

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
This really was just supposed to be an experiment and something to just plug in and forget about but its not turned out like that. So i just thought id post a thread on here to get some advice which has been great thanks guys. I will prob snd it back as i cant see me living with a system of this type

A

Anonymous

I really can't understand why you aren't getting good sound quality out of the 603 with your CM1 speakers; it should be nothing short of excellent. Can't help feeling that we're missing something obvious here; would be a shame to give up on the 603; I'm delighted with mine (listening to The XX right now).

Are you able to test out the 603 with some alternative speakers, or just try out your speakers on a short length of any old wire; wired single wire to Speaker output A?

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I always thought biwiring was overrated , some people say it actually does not sound as good , just single wire and be done with it , i have heard the Marantz system with some tannoy speakers and it was as good as any budjet separates system , was going to get one but thought it would be wasted as i would not use most of the features ,

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
audioaddict said:
It may do major i will see in next few day. how does your amp still sound by the way i can imagine thats still a good buy on ebay.
Sounds brilliant mate, well to me anyway. I keep thinking of dragging my HiFi kicking and screaming into the 21st century by buying an all in one like a 603, but I don't want to go backwards sonically, or even just sideways, and I'm not sure it would better what I already have. Old gear like my amp and CDP can be an absolute steal on the used market; with a bit of luck and a following wind anyone could pick up both of them with change from £250, and £250 won't buy you anything new which will touch them.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldve thought your amp and cd player would be as good as anything up to a grand major . i just wanna ask if i left my speakers and cr603 in bi wire mode but used some cable to replace the jumper.bars and selected speaker a on the 603 would that cause any damage and effectively be classed as single wired ?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
audioaddict said:
i just wanna ask if i left my speakers and cr603 in bi wire mode but used some cable to replace the jumper.bars and selected speaker a on the 603 would that cause any damage and effectively be classed as single wired ?

In theory, yes.

There are some Q and A’s on this here. Remember, though, one wrong turn on the remote and everything goes BANG!

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah i think your.right sizzers and.others opinions are right too in that i should really just go and buy some decent cheap speaker cable and single sire and give the system a chance as i think sending it back before ive.given it the benefit of the doubt might he a mistake because the reviews from owners and hifi mags cant be all wrong about how good this is , so will do this today and see what happens.
Just wanna say thanks to everyone for the help and thanks to plastic penguin for the speaker cable offer ... u true gent

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts