Marantz CD94

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
This CDP has come up for sale on Gumtree and the owner has asked me to make him an offer. There's very little information on the web about this unit other than it was Marantz's premier CDP in the late 80's or early 90's. Has anybody owned one of these and how would you rate it in comparison to today's top end CDP's. Would it be worth getting and what would be a fair price?

A

Anonymous

you could check out this thread , its not about the cd94 , but theres a bit of info on other older marantz cd players and amps , might be helpful ...

T

the record spot

The CD94 can go for some serious cash - check it's in good nick, and the loading tray's in good order, likewise the mech when it's playing. No nasty grinding noises. This one came with an offboard DAC as well I think, or at least the option of one as well. It seems to be garnering legendary status among high end Marantz fans, so maybe have a look and see what prices are being asked (plenty of sites on the web), likewise if any have gone on Ebay of late in the Completed Listings. I haven't kept up with all that so can't say offhand.

http://www.marantzphilips.nl/index.asp?strPage=Info&strBrand=Marantz&strType=cd94

Here's some info on the CD94 DAC too.

http://www.marantzphilips.nl/marantz_cda94_d_a_converter/

Hi Sabby

The CD94 is a terrific cd player and i believe to be the one of the finest cd players ever made. The CD94 and the matching amp (PM94) and DAC (CDA94) were in production from the late eightes and to the early nintes. From what i recall there were only twelve selected dealers in the UK that had the 94 series and each 94 series component was built to order in Japan. This could take up to three months. When the unit arrived in the UK a Marantz engineer would than soak test the unit before signing off the unit (a certificate with the name of the Marantz engineer was included in the box) and shipping it to the dealer.

The CD94 features the superb die cast Philips CDM1 swing arm mechasnism, die cast chassis, the classic and superb Philips TDA1541 DAC, custom components etc. allied to superb build, fit/finish and styling/appearence.

The sound from the CD94 is punchy, detailed, weighty and natural. If the CD94 is in good working order than go for it.

Btw, i own the CD94 DAC and i'll say there are very few components which Marantz have produced in the last twenty years which are comparable to their 94 series. For me the 94 series was their true Pearl.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to all for your valuable input and a special thanks to Rick for the insight into the history of the CD94. I will definitely be contacting the seller to have a closer look at this unit and if possible an audition as well.

One last question, did all the CD94's come with separate dacs?

TRENDING THREADS