Marantz CD63se Replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I purchased a Marantz CD-63se a long time ago on the recommendation of the current What HI-FI awards issue at the time. Overall I have been happy with it but am now looking to replace it because it has died for the second time (refuses to read discs). I have thought about replacing the laser assembly but can not really be bothered

I was hoping people could throw me some recommendations, I do not want to spend anymore than I have to but I do not want to go backwards. I like the idea of the new player being able to play mp3's (this is not essential) so I considered a DVD player, I'm sure that by now there would be some reasonably priced DVD players that can rival the old marantz for sound.

A

Anonymous

How about a Marantz CD6002 ? - voted best cd player under £300 in What Hi-Fi awards. It also plays MP3's and WMA discs..and Richer Sounds have it on offer at £199.99 !!

A

Anonymous

I was hoping for something a little cheaper unfortunately I don't think I can get it for that price in Australia. Here it retails for about $800 AUD (365 or so GBP). I would maybe consider a Marantz CD5001 $499 AUD (230 or so GBP)

How do you think a Marantz CD5001 or even a NAD C515BEE ($350 AUD ~ 160 GBP) would compare against my old CD63se ?

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I was in exactly the same position as you, my CD63se died, it actually works but plays CD's too slowly. Anyway I just replaced it with a CD6002 and I'm disappointed with the sound, it may be the best player under 300 pounds but it is not as good sounding particularly in the upper frequencies, and I not as coherent as the CD63se's sound.
There seems to be a few of us now on this forum who's CD63se's are starting to fail, maybe one of us will find a cd player that has the same sparkling fluid realistic sound?
Hopefully, someone on here can tell us if there as a good sounding CD player that fits (price wise) in between the Marantz CD6002 (best player under £300) and the Rega Apollo (£600)
Is there a best CD Player at "say" £400?

A

Anonymous

Replacement lasers are available on eBay at a fairly reasonable price and my player is already in bits but the actual transport sounds very clunky and the door seems to get stuck sometimes (this is with me opening and closing the cd drawer manually, might not have any issues if it was operating under its own power). I am keeping an eye out for an older Marantz player (eg:CD-52) with the same transport to transplant into mine.

I would like to see an article in What Hi-Fi that compares some of the favorites of days gone by to some of todays stuff.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to drag up such an old thread but I'm embarrassed to say I'm still in the same predicament
emotion-10.gif

I am now looking at the one of the current What hi-fi recommendations, the Marantz CD6003 though this time I plan on getting one sent to Australia from the UK (this player retails for $800 is Australia which puts it in Audiolab 8200CD territory
emotion-12.gif
).

I guess my question is still the same has any one been able to compare this to the CD63se and if yes what are your thoughts ?

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I live in Aussie too. I still have my marantz cd63se, I compared it to the marantz 6000ose, 6002, 5001,7001, Arcam cd73t, nad c542, cambridge audio 640c v2, creek evo, rega apollo, consonance cd-120 linear. The only machines that were as musical and involving was the rega apollo, consonance and creek evo.

I bought the cambridge audio 640c v2 after a short listen which was a mistake.I took it home and found on certain types of music like Jazz I was fatigued after 20 minutes, so I resold it. I wouldnt buy a cd player with a quick demo in a shop again, I would only buy after testing the cd player on my system - system synergy is so important. I have now the consonance cd-120 linear but kept the marantz cd63se.

If you want more information of my observations on the cd players on my system I can write more.

Cheers

Steve.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Mate, I too am in Australia its rubbish how we get charged so damn much here. I recently got a NAD 545bee off ebay brand new for $460AUD and I love it, it was the best budget cd player on what hi-fi I believe before the Marantz 6003 came along, a mate has mentioned I should add a burson audio buffer, he described it as a 63-KI on steroids... how true this is I am not sure, but just gotta be patient and look around... Go the online sales so you can **** Harvey Norman off.

A

Anonymous

I've ordered a replacement laser to see if I can get the player working but I doubt I will be able to. The problem is I don't have a working cd63se to compare any replacement to (I want to be sure I am not going backwards....weird but piece of mind is important too).

I never dreamed I would have such a hard time replacing an old CD player. I did have the chance to audition some of Marantz's newer offerings quite a few years ago (can't recall exactly which models) but I was not overly impressed hence the reason for me still being in CD player limbo.

I would gladly settle for getting my old Marantz working again but that does not look likely which means I am going to have to fork out more money than I would like for a replacement (not to mention to daunting task of finding a replacement I am happy with).

Go the online sales so you can **** Harvey Norman off

They rip us off then cry like a bunch of bitchy little girls when we go online to get a reasonable price.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
ABM78:Mate, I too am in Australia its rubbish how we get charged so damn much here. I recently got a NAD 545bee off ebay brand new for $460AUD and I love it, it was the best budget cd player on what hi-fi I believe before the Marantz 6003 came along, a mate has mentioned I should add a burson audio buffer, he described it as a 63-KI on steroids... how true this is I am not sure, but just gotta be patient and look around... Go the online sales so you can **** Harvey Norman off.

Hi,

I had the nad c542 cd player the model before the 545bee for awhile. I found it quite nice and musical to listen too however it lacked the open top end of my marantz cd63se, the bass of the nad was a little woolie too - full not very tight and a little slow. The marantz was a little more detailed too. I must say I havent heard the NAD 545bee.

I had a lend of my friends old dacmagic 2ii ( from the mid 90's) on the old marantz and it made it more dynamic and smoother to listen to, I wish I could have kept it.

Cheers

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts