Marantz CD6003 a step up from Arcam CD73T ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My Arcam CD73T is starting to play up with a sticky drawer mechanism and I'm contemplating replacing it with a Marantz CD6003 since the latter unit seems such a bargain at £250.

Thing is, will it be an upgrade or downgrade sonically compared to my Arcam?

And before people chime in with "you must demo" - I know, I know, but nobody near where I live who stocks the Marantz offers a demo.

Anyone gone this route from CD73T to the Marantz?

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried taking the lid off to see why it's sticking? It could be something relatively minor and easy to fix..

A

Anonymous

I have zero skill or confidence in messing about with electronics - so this is not something I had in mind to do. What could cause this that would be fixable by someone in my position with no soldering, etc skills?

Hawkmoon said:
My Arcam CD73T is starting to play up with a sticky drawer mechanism and I'm contemplating replacing it with a Marantz CD6003 since the latter unit seems such a bargain at £250.

Thing is, will it be an upgrade or downgrade sonically compared to my Arcam?

And before people chime in with "you must demo" - I know, I know, but nobody near where I live who stocks the Marantz offers a demo.

Anyone gone this route from CD73T to the Marantz?

Nope, not compared it with newer budget CDPs. Have, indeed, compared it to a 5k Naim Streamer, £900 Olive streamer, and the Arcam on a pound-per-sound basis stacks up well. Also, I've heard it against Audiolab 8200 and Exposure 2010S, and all these brands have an advantage, you're not looking at huge differences.

Certainly the Arcam still makes an intriguing option...

John Duncan

The drawer (and laser sled mechanism) are probably 'greased', and the grease might have just worn off.

The trouble is, in order to see why it might be sticking you would have to unplug, turn on and off a couple of times to discharge any capacitors, take the lid off, plug back in and (keeping away from the innards) watch what happens when you open and close the drawer. If you could see what might be sticking it you could oil or grease or WD40 or defluff or whatever.

However, for legal reasons I have to advise you not to do that...

Ergo...I think the 6004 would be an excellent replacement for a 73T, yes; you might feel this is a better option than paying for a repair which, from another recent thread, would probably be of the order of £150 or so...

The Arcam uses a Sony KSS-213c laser pick-up, not sure if you can get a complete transport mechanism but I'm sure if you have any dealers at all in your area (not necessarily Arcam) then it should be a fairly cheap fix. At least cheaper than the £250 for a new CD player.
Does it still read CD's OK? Is it just a sticking drawer? Could be just a cog slipping on the transport mechanism - an even cheaper fix!

matthewpiano

The CD73T was an excellent player in its day and that hasn't changed - it is still excellent now. However, I'm never that convinced that repairs to CD players are all that worthwhile given the cost and I think a CD6003 or CD6004 would give the Arcam a real run for its money now.

John Duncan said:
The drawer (and laser sled mechanism) are probably 'greased', and the grease might have just worn off.

The trouble is, in order to see why it might be sticking you would have to unplug, turn on and off a couple of times to discharge any capacitors, take the lid off, plug back in and (keeping away from the innards) watch what happens when you open and close the drawer. If you could see what might be sticking it you could oil or grease or WD40 or defluff or whatever.

However, for legal reasons I have to advise you not to do that...

Ergo...I think the 6004 would be an excellent replacement for a 73T, yes; you might feel this is a better option than paying for a repair which, from another recent thread, would probably be of the order of £150 or so...

Never did work out how to quote just a line of someones post...
'probably in the order of £150 or so'.
Only if you return it to Arcam to do, and if its out of warranty why would you want to do that.
Any local competent dealer with a repairs section could do it.
I had my laser mechanism changed recently for £40 (I paid £24 for the part).
Even if OP is going to buy the 6004 it is still worth getting it done so as to flog the Arcam as a going concern.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
This thread is of interest to me as my Arcam cd73T has issues when loading CDs. It sometimes just clicks and sounds like the laser head is banging against the end stop. If I was to decide to replace it, how much would I need to spend for comparable performance? The Marantz 6004 has to be a candidate but there could be others to look at.

Nick

Arcam CD73T, Naim NAC 62/NAP90, Totem Dreamcatchers

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how it compares to the arcam but the cd6003 is a very capable player for the money. Can be had for under 150 on eBay and most are around 3 years old so a good buy I think!

NJB said:
This thread is of interest to me as my Arcam cd73T has issues when loading CDs. It sometimes just clicks and sounds like the laser head is banging against the end stop. If I was to decide to replace it, how much would I need to spend for comparable performance? The Marantz 6004 has to be a candidate but there could be others to look at.

Nick

Arcam CD73T, Naim NAC 62/NAP90, Totem Dreamcatchers

Ideal candidates given your kit will be Rega Apollo (original) or Exposure 2010S.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Apollo-CD-Player-brand-new-in-box-full-warranty-SILVER-/150928315835?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item23240755bb

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts