Marantz CD-Player Remote Sensor Fault - Any Ideas Please?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I just picked up a cheap version of the classic Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature. I was warned that the remote had ceased working for some reason (remote or sensor - not sure which), but the unit had a Russ Andrews Yello power chord to compensate so I was happy.

I have checked and the remote is working perfectly. So, is there anything I can do about the unit's onboard sensor? Obviously there are no warranty issues by now. It's no great problem to not have the remote facility, but it's a convenience thing (and also a shock to the system if you plug the headphones in because the volume is rather high and only adjustable via remote!)

Thanks for your help...

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
What? No bright ideas? No advice?

Are you too busy sniggering or is the NaimUniti on the BBC too sexy a subject for a remote sensor to compete with? Probably answered my own question there!
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

Make it repair. Or repair it yourself if you know how to do it.

If nobody answers, maybe it means that nobody knows the answers. This is a forum. It's not customer service center.

Reactions: bigfish786

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
smo:

If nobody answers, maybe it means that nobody knows the answers. This is a forum. It's not customer service center.

"I only arsked"
emotion-4.gif

Anyway, 'smo', it seems to me that the forums are a vehicle for all kinds of things including providing advice to those who put out a plea for help. Sometimes such requests can easily get lost among all the other threads and shoved well down the page(s) as enthusiasts discuss the more esoteric aspects of h-fi. I hope your day and mood have improved since your last reply.
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I have a CD5001 OSE on which the remote sensor appeared to stop working about a month after the warranty period ended. This didn't enormously bother me as I tend to listen to albums straight through but then, when we were having some building work done, I moved the stereo upstairs and the remote started working once more.

To cut a long story medium, it seems as though the 'Remote Control' slider on the back of the unit had been knocked to 'External'. If your unit has such a slider, check that it's set to 'Internal'. I'm currently blaming the cat.

Hope this helps,

Luke

Reactions: bigfish786
A

Anonymous

ESP2009:
What? No bright ideas? No advice?

Are you too busy sniggering or is the NaimUniti on the BBC too sexy a subject for a remote sensor to compete with? Probably answered my own question there!
emotion-6.gif

Some of us have jobs and don't spend our whole lives on this forum. Some of us prefer to spend time listening to music.

Cheers,

Luke

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
longwayround:

To cut a long story medium, it seems as though the 'Remote Control' slider on the back of the unit had been knocked to 'External'. If your unit has such a slider, check that it's set to 'Internal'. I'm currently blaming the cat.

Hope this helps,

Luke

I think I checked that, but will double check. The previous owner says that his remote stopped working at some (unspecified) point but didn't say whether he has a cat.
emotion-1.gif

Anyway, the main thing is that it still sounds absolutely great to my lug-holes.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
ESP2009:longwayround:

Hope this helps,

Luke

I think I checked that, but will double check. The previous owner says that his remote stopped working at some (unspecified) point but didn't say whether he has a cat.
emotion-1.gif

Anyway, the main thing is that it still sounds absolutely great to my lug-holes.

I do think the chap who sold me the player has a cat - exactly the same problem! Defies logic in a way - set the switch to internal when you're using a remote! Should have read the book of words, but then I am of the male persuasion (and hadn't looked at my own in 12yrs!) Doh!
emotion-2.gif

So, well done and thank you Luke
emotion-21.gif
At least it means I don't have to grab a screwdriver and shout: "I'm goin' in!"

A

Anonymous

ESP2009:ESP2009:longwayround:

I think I checked that, but will double check.

I do think the chap who sold me the player has a cat - exactly the same problem! Defies logic in a way - set the switch to internal when you're using a remote!

So, well done and thank you Luke
emotion-21.gif
At least it means I don't have to grab a screwdriver and shout: "I'm goin' in!"

It's a pleasure. I'm only a very irregular visitor to these forums but I'm happy to share the little hi-fi knowledge I possess. I believe that the 'external' setting is for owners of larger Marantz systems who can then control the CD player from the amp or some such thing.

Manuals are something that I nerdily read when I buy a product and then let the knowledge plummet into the deeper recesses of my subconscious. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night having dreamt of obscure paragraphs from obsolete product manuals.

Cheers,

Luke

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
emotion-2.gif
I hope your psychiatrist isn't too expensive.
emotion-5.gif

I got back to the original owner on the subject and he's well-pleased to learn he didn't sell me a defective product - so, thanks again.

A

Anonymous

ESP2009:smo:

"I only arsked"
emotion-4.gif

Anyway, 'smo', it seems to me that the forums are a vehicle for all kinds of things including providing advice to those who put out a plea for help. Sometimes such requests can easily get lost among all the other threads and shoved well down the page(s) as enthusiasts discuss the more esoteric aspects of h-fi. I hope your day and mood have improved since your last reply.
emotion-4.gif

Sorry about my reply. I didn't want to sound rude at all.
emotion-10.gif
My poor English does not help, anyway... I 'm happy to read the problem has been solved
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts