Marantz CD 17Mk2

LongPlay

Oct 26, 2024
Visit site
Hello,
I am new to this forum, which is very interesting and I enjoy reading questions and answers and other opinions from the HiFi field.
Greetings to all!
I have one question about CD players. I have an old Marantz CD 17Mk2, very little use (I mainly listen to the record player and vinyl records), but since I have a lot of CDs, I started listening to this type of media again. Recently, new CD players have been introduced as excellent players in every price range.
The question is:
Which of these players would be at least 2 steps better than the Marantza Cd 17Mk2. I'm leaning towards the Cyrus CDi(or?)

BR
Joe

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi Joe, I do not know the rest of your system, min. which amp and speakers you use. I have short experience with Marantz CD17mk2 CD player. I think this is very good player, very musical. It is not cold, neutral. And mechanical design is very durable. To get better, yes Cyrus CD will be better, more of everything or Rega Saturn mk3 is excellent choice as well, more musical than Cyrus. But you will need the rest of your system on this level. I was happy user of CEC 3100 cd player, than Pioneer PD 95 (very very good sound), than Rega Jupiter 2000 (way better than PD 95). Now using Audia Flight Two CD, my baby boy😂. I recommend for you: If you like your Marantz CD, look for some good dac overthere, and use Marantz as CD mechanic. Sound can easily jump on next level. Look for something like Electrocompanient Dac, there are many good alternatives on used market. BR.

Welcome to the forum, Joe!

You’ve got a very nice player though it’s getting on a bit, and that may mean it could fail without any warning. Belts and other replacements are relatively easy to get fixed. I’ve got a couple of Marantz CD players myself - a fairly swish model that plays SACD too, and one from the 1990s that needs repair. But they always have an enjoyable sound to my taste, a bit fuller and richer than some.

Personally, I’m not that keen on Cyrus because some have slot loading and they all have that shoebox shape that cramps all the controls. Great if you’ve a matching amplifier but otherwise fairly pointless imo.

Would you prefer new with a manufacturer guarantee or are you happy to get used or exdem? Plenty of bargains around like this Denon, which I noticed only yesterday- but obviously it depends on your budget. And what’s the kit you’re partnering with?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts