Marantz amplifier PM6003 problem - no sound

Harry House

Mar 27, 2021
Visit site
Hi, my Marantz PM6003 amplifier has stopped working. Trying to play CD or LP and there is no sound. The Source Direct button, Speaker A/B button and Loudness button indicator lights no longer light up. Everything else seems to work fine. Any ideas?

Gray

When you say everything else seems fine what do you mean exactly?
Good question.
There's no sound and at least? 3 indicator lights don't light.....
but everything else seems to work fine :) What else is there?

If you can make use of a service manual Harry, then you'll know it's your cure - once you know what you're curing.
The first click on the top search result immediately downloads it all as a PDF.
Otherwise there's not much you can do other than get someone to repair it.

Reactions: Al ears
Good question.
There's no sound and at least? 3 indicator lights don't light.....
but everything else seems to work fine :) What else is there?

If you can make use of a service manual Harry, then you'll know it's your cure - once you know what you're curing.
The first click on the top search result immediately downloads it all as a PDF.
Otherwise there's not much you can do other than get someone to repair it.
Do the various source choices light up on these amps? That's the only other thing I can think of as 'everything else'
I would also question as to whether the power indicator lights up or not on these.

Gray

No lights means no power so all fuses cannot be fine....
In days of old Al, that was a reasonable assumption. But things have changed. There's certainly no power to some of the lights - but sadly for the OP, his internal fuse(s) probably are OK :(.

Last night I was looking at that PDF service manual. Even the block diagram (which simplifies things) is surprisingly complicated for what, on the face of it, is a simple budget amp. Once you get into the full circuit diagram.....there are volt regulators / control ICs etc....several things that could be causing no lights / sound.
Bring back the simple old days I say (y)

In days of old Al, that was a reasonable assumption. But things have changed. There's certainly no power to some of the lights - but sadly for the OP, his internal fuse(s) probably are OK :(.

Last night I was looking at that PDF service manual. Even the block diagram (which simplifies things) is surprisingly complicated for what, on the face of it, is a simple budget amp. Once you get into the full circuit diagram.....there are volt regulators / control ICs etc....several things that could be causing no lights / sound.
Bring back the simple old days I say (y)
You are right there. I would have expected things like lights to be on a circuit seperate from anything else but I am obviously behind the times... :)
Exactly how many fuses are there?
Wonder if he gets anything out of the headphone socket, probably not but worth checking.
Also, if the source selection lights are not working perhaps it might be worth turning the source selection knob a bit.........

Reactions: Gray
Just the one actually.
It was a fusible resistor that went open circuit to cause permanent mute on my own Marantz amp.....looks like there's a few of those in the PM6003, but I wouldn't blame the OP if he doesn't want to get involved.
That one was all I could see on photos of the insides thought it odd that the OP said 'all the fuses', however you are right it needs a qualified engineer to have a look at it I feel.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts