Marantz 603 vs 610

Bobbyski

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I am looking to buy my first stereo and need a little help.

I am thinking it will be the Marantz 603 or 610. I know the features are vary similar with the exception of WIFI and Airplay out of the box on the 610. Airplay is something I plan on using a lot and I hope this would not be an issue with the 603. I would prefer to get the 603 because of the lower cost and I'm not keen on a spending so much for the plastic 610.

I am planning on using it with Q Acoustic 2020i speakers that I already got a good deal on. In the future I would like to get larger floor standing speakers but am going to wait till the kids are older before putting something expensive in their reach.

Any other receiver recommendations would be welcome. We would like CD, Airplay, music from network or HD and FM/DAB.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Have a read of these threads:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/better-sq-system-with-features-similar-to-marantz-cr603

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/martantz-m-cr610-concept-20s-with-audioquest-cable

pcookie

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
I was in the same situation and went for the 603. I use airplay all the time with my iPad and Mac. No problems at all, although I have Ethernet running through the house so don't need wi-fi. Aesthetics are important to some. It was to me, and I prefer aluminium to plastic. That, plus the fact the 603 was half the price of the 610! No contest for me.

cookie

Bobbyski

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Crocodile said:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/better-sq-system-with-features-similar-to-marantz-cr603

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/martantz-m-cr610-concept-20s-with-audioquest-cable

thank you I have read through both threads. Lots of info there.

Bobbyski

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Crocodile said:

thank you I have read through both threads. Lots of info there.

Bobbyski

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
That is just what I wanted to hear! I am thinking I will get the 603 too. I was mostly worrierd about airplay but if it works then there is little reason to spend more. I don't use spotify and don't plan too. The other worry I had was about not playing some file formats seamlessly, but I beleave that is only flax files and I have none of those.

Does it it play seamless over airplay?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
if you did go for the 603 especially at the lower price you will not be dissapointed its a wonderful sounding system and looks great to boot plus you can still use airplay with it ..........i.m sure the 610 is probably better ( just a guess mind you) but it is twice the price and certainly looks smart but again you wouldnt be dissapointed with the 603

Bobbyski

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have not bought yet but it will be the 603 not the 610. The price for the 610 is not worth the downgrade in looks.

I saw a 503 online for next to nothing and am even consisting buying that. I could easily hook up my existing airport express for airplay.

does anyone know if the 503 can read a hardrive connected to the USB??

pcookie

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the 503 won't accept the airplay upgrade, so I wouldn't bother. If you can afford it now, get the 603. There won't be many left soon.

cookie

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Bobbyski said:
The other worry I had was about not playing some file formats seamlessly, but I beleave that is only flac files and I have none of those.

I'd verify this before purchase as I believe it doesn't do gapless full stop, not just with FLAC.

I think Airplay is gapless because that's handled by the player. But again get verification from someone with first hand experience.

pcookie

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
Gapless does work on airplay. Chebby has confirmed this in the past and it works for me, although all my iTunes files are in wav format, so I don't know about other file formats. If it bothers you that much, play the CD. The 603 has a great CD player.
I don't know where you intend to buy, but Amazon have a returns policy.
Better still, go to Richer Sounds and demo. That's where I got mine from and they were extremely helpful.
I'm listening to Planet Rock ( in stereo!) on the internet radio of the cr603 and I'm as happy a pig in brown stuff.
Take the plunge, you won't be disappointed.
Cookie

penbat

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the chances are it would. 510s & 610s allow memory sticks or hard drives from USB. As far as i know the only USB spec changes from 503/603 to 510/610 are that there are 2 USBs instead of one.

Bobbyski

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
pcookie said:
I don't know where you intend to buy, but Amazon have a returns policy. Better still, go to Richer Sounds and demo. That's where I got mine from and they were extremely helpful.. Cookie

I would love to just walk in to a store and listen then buy. The problem is I live in Switzerland and there are no high end stores around me.

I got my speakers now though. Q Acoustics 2020i. I hooked them up to my old amp and they sound awsome. My Marantz 603 should arrive anyday now and I can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Qustion is.

how well would the Marantz 603 power the 2020i plus anther set of speakers? I would like to put another set in the kitchen but am worrierd 30watt might be stertching the Marantz.. I would get another set of 2020i or maybe the center speaker of that set.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, there is an improvement in sound quality, but it's not a massive difference at all, and not enough to warrant an upgrade just for the sound (IMO). Both sound excellent and are easy to listen to and enjoy. If you have the 603 I couldn't see any reason to get the 610 unless you wanted the other feature improvements...which I did!

The above said, the 610 has the edge for me, and most importantly, it does gapless flac over ethernet and via USB. It also reduces cable clutter significantly by ditching the separate fm and dab connections (which have now been combined) and also ditches a.m, which isn't useful generally.

Whilst i really loved the look of the 603 I have now got quite used to the black 610 and I don't miss the 'glowing eyes' of the 603 in standby mode at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts