marantz 603 plus classical music speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody,

Although this is my first post, I went through pages of your posts and I learned so much from your comments. And yes, I know there are loads of things written on the Marantz 603 but nothing really fits what I would like to know so please be kind as I am not an expert.

I would like to replace my old system with the Marantz 603 as it is compact with internet radio, which was one of the drives to change my old system. My second reason was that with my older system I just relied on the shop giving me "good speakers". This must probably sound horrible to you all but at the time I was not very into all this.

Now however, having been disappointed wiht my present speakers and wanting a internet radio possibility as well, I thought of the Marantz 603. I not only went through all the posts for speakers, but I also did a search on italian and german sites and I came up with a set of speakers which I would consider. And this time I will listen to them properly:

Monitor Audio RX1 or 2
Rega 1s or 3r
Focal 714
Avi Neutron

The tips I would like from you is:

1) what do you think about the combination of the marantz with either of those speakers? Does it work technically? Do I have enough ohms, watts or whatever I need to work those with the marantz? (e.g. apparently for the Avi Neutron you need more...ehm.. power.... :oops: )

2) Any classical music lovers here who could tell me more about this combination? I would like a clear, transpartent sound rather than a homgenous, compact sound. I'd like to have the "solo sound" of hearing the flute or the timpani from a whole orchestra rather than having the "orchestral sound", don't know whether I make myself clear... :) A question I long had was whether a smaller speaker would give me a clearer, more transparent sound, than a bigger or longer speaker (sorry for the terminology)

3) The marantz has internet radio so I suppose I can work it directly from the amplifier rather than having to attach the computer to it, that's right, isn't it.....?

4) There is still the qustion of standing speakers, shelf speakers etc but this to me is secondary to 1) and 2)

Thank you soooo much for all your thoughts

Roberto

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
my advice is to consdier active speaekrs.

this is especially true for classical. you do not mention your buget but you can look at Adam Audio Artist range or similar from pro audio brands.

Try - you will not regret. You will enjoy great dynamic range, lower distortion at realistic SPL and neutral sound.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
my advice is to consdier active speaekrs.

this is especially true for classical. you do not mention your buget but you can look at Adam Audio Artist range or similar from pro audio brands.

Try - you will not regret. You will enjoy great dynamic range, lower distortion at realistic SPL and neutral sound.

Especially as the Marantz has no preamp-level outputs to feed such speakers, so you are wasting its internal power amplification – and you'll have to set the volume level on the active speakers, assuming they have a volume control, not the Marantz.

In the same vein, I'd suggest you use a halibut – it makes about as much sense*

(*Or, in my opinion, the Monitor Audios you mention would make a good match with the Marantz system, as would the Boston Acoustics A25 speakers)

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The Bx2's are a good start, they are far better than I would have believed. I can see now why so many people have purchased them.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
603 does not have pre-amp out so actives won't work (straight out of the box, anyway) unless you take variable output from the headphone socket which I wouldn't recommend.

NB Tried the fixed output with my Focals CMS 40 and it didn't work - gave very distorted sound probably due to gain difference between Marantz outputs and Focal inputs?

Roberto, any of those speakers should work technically, and hundreds more (some better than others). In any case, I strongly recommend demoing afer setting your budget first. The Marantz is known to be very happy with speakers several times its price.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

first of all, do active speakers work or not, there seems to be confusion about it. (by the way, what are active speakers? But maybe I don't need that kind of details.... :grin: )

the easiest ones to find in a shop are the B&W and the MA's. Pity one is always limited by the choice of the shop.
How do you do it? You choose the shop depending on the make you want to buy?

Thanks for the comments so far, please keep posting as I want to have clear ideas, not like the first time...hehehe

Roberto

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
the one in my first reply.

the point being - as the OP did not buy the marantz yet, he, if liked actives at a demo, may reconsider his strategy and optimise it around actives.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
rgelsomi said:
Hello, first of all, do active speakers work or not, there seems to be confusion about it. (by the way, what are active speakers? But maybe I don't need that kind of details.... :grin: ) the easiest ones to find in a shop are the B&W and the MA's. Pity one is always limited by the choice of the shop. How do you do it? You choose the shop depending on the make you want to buy? Thanks for the comments so far, please keep posting as I want to have clear ideas, not like the first time...hehehe Roberto

Simplified explanation of active speakers is that they have amplification and active crossover built in them, so all you need is an appropriate source.

Marantz M-CR603 already has an amplifier on board and it does not have a dedicated pre-amp output so it's not an appropriate source for active speakers.

B&W and MA can be a good choice for the Marantz, depending on what budget you have in mind and what type of sound you are after. Standmounters will (generally speaking and in very simple terms) give you more focused and precise sound and floorstanders will give bigger volume and go deeper. Again, this is not always the case and it is always recommended to audition before buying to avoid disappointment later. (Room acoustics etc also play a part so ideally you would like to demo in your own environment)

If you are determined to get the Marantz, and the B&W and MA dealers in your vicinity do not stock it, you may as well buy it and take it with you to the dealers to audition some speakers.

EDIT Internet radio works a treat with the 603. You have to connect it to your router (with ethernet cable), choose Internet Radio as source, find a station and :rockout: ...

matthewpiano

The best two speakers I've heard that do what you are asking for with orchestral music are the PMC DB1i and the Mission 751. The PMCs are incredible speakers but I'm guessing they are beyond your budget, unless you can find a pair second hand. Might be worth taking a punt on some 751s (the original version with the mesh dome tweeter). Won't cost you much, will outclass most budget speakers out there today (I've heard a lot of them) and you'll re-sell them easily if they don't appeal to you. They are a very atmospheric listen with really high quality construction. One of the best speakers Mission has ever made.

Otherwise, B&W 685s are still a very good speaker though certainly a more commercial sounding one. The KEF Q100 and Q300 are excellent but my experience of owning Q300s was that they need quite a bit of space - their wide dispersion characteristics can become slightly tiring in a more intimate space. They aren't overly bright IMO, just nicely detailed. They just didn't work out for me.

T

the record spot

I'll second Matthewpiano's recommendation of the Mission 751. I used this speaker for a while some time ago and can backup his post. Superb little speakers but make sure it's the original and not the Freedom version which is a little too rounded off at the top end. I would also add to the list Tannoy's Revolution DC4 which I'm currently using. Another terrific all-rounder and well worth shortlisting. Similar to the 751 in many ways and work well with most types of music.

A

Anonymous

Hello

thanks for the posts, so interesting. But I have some questions

As far as I can understand, a bookshelf speaker (would the Mission 751 classify as one?) gives a clearer sound. I looked what I have and apparently they are Focal Chorus 716.

Does anyone know them? I am not really very happy with them, as I said, they give a full sound but not very transparent and I was wondering whether the Mission 751 you suggest, do that and whether it's worth replacing the FC 716 with them. Or maybe just add them, would the M603 be able to do that and most important, what would the sound be like if I have both the FC716 and the Mission......too much???

Thanks again

Roberto

PS Now I am really looking forward to the 603.... :)

A

Anonymous

Me again,

I just checked the rest of my installation and the FC716 are attached to a consonance a120 amplifier and a NAD 521 CDP. This is what gives me this "full" sound, which I don't really like, at least not in classical music. So suggestions to the above post are more than welcome and thanks to all of you guys for helping me

Roberto

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>Any classical music lovers here who could tell me more about this combination?<

Mediorce, I'd be thinking. Most 'hi-fi' is way to toppy for classical. You should be thinking Spendor, Quad, Neat, Sonus Faber

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I know, I would get some nice Sonus Faber for classical or maybe Martin Logan / Magnepan but you need budget :poke:

For low budget, i would get Dali Zensor 1. If you have bigger budget I would go for some ATC or Spendor standmounters, but not Monitor Audio, they tuned for pop music.

A

Anonymous

I've heard the 603 with some KEF Q100 and it sounded excellent.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
amcluesent said:
>Any classical music lovers here who could tell me more about this combination?<

Mediorce, I'd be thinking. Most 'hi-fi' is way to toppy for classical. You should be thinking Spendor, Quad, Neat, Sonus Faber

Agreed. Some SF here (might be worth keeping an eye on): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SONUS-FABER-TOY-BOXED-BLACK-LEATHER-/220926320985?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item33703c2159#ht_500wt_1287

matthewpiano

I'm not convinced there is such a thing as 'classical' speakers, but then I'm not really a fan of commercial and overblown sounding speakers for any style of music. For me an open, spacious sound that communicates timbral, spatial and dynamic information successfully is appropriate for all types of music. It is one of the reasons I like the Mission 751s so much.

Another brand you should investigate is Opera. They make some beautiful sounding speakers that achieve this without dampening down the dynamic aspects of the sound.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
amcluesent said:

Mediorce......... How funny!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Another brand you should investigate is Opera. They make some beautiful sounding speakers that achieve this without dampening down the dynamic aspects of the sound.

Great suggestion, and often forgotten about.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts