Making digital sources sound more analog, less digital.

gasolin

We got to get this forum going so i have a question

I like the sound of my turntable and also when i listen to my pc when i play one of the good recorded albums on tidal hifi, i want to buy another used cplayer to use with the built in dac in my amp or analog out since the one i have is a little thin, less varm sounding and when i tried the coaxial out i got dropouts after 5-10 min and then there's no sound.

I like the analog slightly warmer sound from my turntable and has often wanted my pc,cdplayer to sound less digital and more analog (if you know what i mean), if the analog sound is just turning the highs a little down (or raise the bass) i don't want to do that.

Is it possible to get digital sources to sound more analog like a turn table, real to real tape other than a tube buffer?

I don't think new interconnetcs (or usb cable) can do that and a dac for my pc,cdplayer with a more warm,analog sound may be way to expensive for my pocket.

insider9

Old and worn out? And I'm sure all your vinyl records are brand spanking new......

Just to reiterate Rotel in question isn't what will sound more analog, not a good representation. Not all vintage gear will sound better just because it's old. Try a vintage TDA or PCM based unit. Old and worn out and sounding much better than most modern dacs. To my ears at least.

Reactions: knaithrover

insider9

There are many models using chips I mentioned. You can pick them up usually around £50. Won't mention names as this usually inflate prices. The knowledge is out there and it's not difficult to find. Just nodding you in the right direction.

Difference between ESS Sabre Dacs which I never liked and TDA to my ears is massive. Yes the implementation matters but right chip that's low or non oversampling really sounds different.

gasolin

What i see alot on lokal danish sites is alot of budget sony players that don't break, might only be okay with the dac in my amp, one i have seen and are interested in is a Onkyo CDX-706 for under 60 euros (it's got good reviews according to onkyo).

Cables im not that interested in buying since i already have alot of cables, it would make more sence to buy a more expensive cdplayer and no cable.

More warm analog sound, with a working digital output i can have,choose a better dac to get better sound, not only from my cdplayer but also also from my pc.

insider9

The above Onkyo doesn't have either of the dac chips I mentioned. If you're going to go all the way digital to your amp the sound will be most determined by the sound of your amp's dac chip.

It is possible to have a digital source sounding more analog but not just by feeding it different digital signal. You need a different source. You'll be going in circles if you think either cables or transport will make a huge difference.

gasolin

I tried it (dac in my amp) with a 10 year old blueray player and it sounded like it's more a unit for video than a unit for sound or like comparing a surround receiver to a 2 channel hifi amp, some receivers are good for 2 channel hifi but a 2 channel amp for the same price as a receiver, is better, my buleray player was like comparing a surround reciever (blueray player) with a hifi amp in stereo. (if that makes sense ?)

Would be nice to have a digital output that works in case i need it either for a good dac or to compare it with the dac in my amp to the analog output on the cdplayer, to find out if i get better sound using the dac in my amp.

As already mentioned i don't need a new cable, i have enough if i want to try a different cable

What i missing from my cdplayer (and to certain degree my pc) is a less thin, slighty dry sound, i would like a more warm rich sound (analog)

Last edited:

insider9

What you're doing right now is like changing frames for your glasses. Sure there may be a little bit of difference to how you see things but... What I'm suggesting is more like changing the lenses. Actual, significant difference.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
There are many models using chips I mentioned. You can pick them up usually around £50. Won't mention names as this usually inflate prices. The knowledge is out there and it's not difficult to find. Just nodding you in the right direction.

Difference between ESS Sabre Dacs which I never liked and TDA to my ears is massive. Yes the implementation matters but right chip that's low or non oversampling really sounds different.

I would fully agree with Insider9 here. Even I find the ess sabre dac chips sounding a bit digital with some glare. I also used a chord 2qute for a short while, which had that same digital sound. I presently use a AMR tubed dac with a Philips TDA chip, that sounds really analogue and very musical. I believe the early Philips CD players had these same chips. There are some that come with a crown mark and are very highly sought after even today.

Reactions: insider9

gasolin

Update i must admit i did buy a Matantz CD6006 not cash but on finace, i think it's called, nothing extra i have to pay.

It cost £251 which i think is a great deal, i must admit i like to have something that has the same looks,design as my amp and warranty, also i think a cdplayer is just that different than an amp with the same dac chip where you just use a ramdom cplayer with a digital out.

The right philips cdplayer compared to how much they cost and considering there age, i couldn't find anything, even an Matantz CD5003,5004, 5005, 6004,6005,6006 i couldn't find for not alot of money and in a perfect working condition .

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts