Question Majority Fitzwilliam 3 internet radio analogue output issues

womblesue

Jul 17, 2024
Visit site
I brought a Majority Fitzwilliam3 and connected to my old cyrus amp via analogue output using RCA audio Jacks, which had been working fine with my DAB tuner and CD. Turning on the amp and selecting tuner produced a very loud consistent electronic hum/buzz (when unit both on and off) and no audio output, tho the screen was showing it tuned on both IR and DAB. Using A) headphones and B) a portable speaker through the 3.5 jack on front I got great results. Different amp, same thing. I returned the original DAB tuner to the cyrus and it worked fine so I think the stage is ok. Their tech could not suggest anything. The hum was something like something ive heard when something isnt connected properly. Any ideas? Thanks.

Without seeing the exact wiring up you’ve tried it’s a case of trial and error. However, if the RCA phono cable you’re using connects nice and firmly - no wobbly plugs - then I suspect an earthing issue. What are both Cyrus and the radio tuner plugged into? If a shared gang/extension, try different sockets in the room.

Be careful to turn everything off before swapping as unplugging a live item while connected might produce a speaker-destroying crack or pop!

Last edited:

womblesue

Jul 17, 2024
Visit site
Without seeing the exact wiring up you’ve tried it’s a case of trial and error. However, if the RCA phono cable you’re using connects nice and firmly - no wobbly plugs - then I suspect an earthing issue. What are both Cyrus and the radio tuner plugged into? If a shared gang/extension, try different sockets in the room.

Be careful to turn everything off before swapping as unplugging a live item while connected might produce a speaker-destroying crack or pop!
Thanks, the phono cables were attached firmly, I am using a 4 gang extension lead on my system, but when I tried with a different amplifier set up in the kitchen, I used two separate mains plugs there, different leads, with the units on a worktop. No speakers attached to that but I used headphones plugged into the amp, still got massive electronic buzz, but the Fitzwilliam is fine thru its 3.5 headphone jack. Now ive put my original dab tuner back into the rack connected to the Cyrus, that works fine. I did wonder if the LAN aerial was picking up interference - but in all cases the Fitzwilliam worked fine on IR and DAB using headphones thru the jack at the front. I thought it might be a tuner aerial thing as I initially connected the coax cable from the external aerial, but using the fitzwilliam telescopic dab antenna instead the hum persisted on the amp, but not through the Fitzwilliam headphone jack. So I think its definitely something to do with the analogue RCA outputs on the back.

ps. one thing I did notice was that the RCA sockets were labelled the opposite to both of my amps (R at bottom and L above it) I ensured they sockets were plugged in R to R, L to L. Wondering if the labelling was wrong would this cause this issue, and perhaps should I have swapped them, but I didnt want to risk damaging the amp.

Last edited:

Gray

.....Wondering if the labelling was wrong would this cause this issue
No it wouldn't.

From what you've said, your RCA leads are not the cause (because other sources were ok through them into the Cyrus).
But I reckon there's the possibility of a connection issue with one of the RCA sockets on the Majority unit (where it connects to the PCB - not likely to be on both sockets).

If out of warranty you've got nothing to lose by opening it for a look yourself.
Otherwise it's free or chargeable attention from someone else, that you will probably need.

Reactions: nopiano

womblesue

Jul 17, 2024
Visit site
No it wouldn't.

From what you've said, your RCA leads are not the cause (because other sources were ok through them into the Cyrus).
But I reckon there's the possibility of a connection issue with one of the RCA sockets on the Majority unit (where it connects to the PCB - not likely to be on both sockets).

If out of warranty you've got nothing to lose by opening it for a look yourself.
Otherwise it's free or chargeable attention from someone else, that you will probably need.
Thanks, I was wondering if I was inadvertently cross connecting the channels even tho I did red to red, white to white to white, and although that thought occurred to me I wasnt willing to risk either of my amps by switching one end. Both are quite elderly and I wondered if protocols had changed. I thought about running it thru the RCA sockets on the TV soundbar but chickened out.

I too think its the sockets on the Fitzwilliam. Their tech wasnt able to help. Its a bit annoying as its exactly what I wanted and it seemed great. Its new so im returning it and will go again when my nerves have recovered .... :)

Reactions: Gray

womblesue

Jul 17, 2024
Visit site
Got a replacement, that works ok on both amps, speakers, phones etc etc. I do notice internet radio seems lower volume than dab/fm. Is this a thing? Ive asked Majority tech.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts