Mains Upgrade

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
This is still going "amazing"

I say will all go and buy a Russ Andrews Silver Signature PowerKord for 1 metre at £3422, now that's cheap, but I would never pay that much for any cable, but would love to try it.

007L2Thrill: I say will all go and buy a Russ Andrews Silver Signature PowerKord for 1 metre at £3422, now that's cheap, but I would never pay that much for any cable, but would love to try it.

Hmmm.......maybe I should try it with my cheapie 32-inch TV in the bedroom
emotion-43.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd just like to add that blind tests only prove if there are differences (if properly done). It does NOT prove if differences cant be heard/seen/smelt/tasted etc. It would just mean its inconclusive

idc

Here is another reason why I think cables have taken on mystical qualities over the years. As the use of tone controls and EQ declined and fell out of fashion (handy for manufacturers as it was one less cost to make an amp) so the use of cables as a form of tone control has risen. Hence there are now so many posts which start 'what cable will tone down the sharp treble?' The answer should be you need an amp with tone controls, not the latest Chordworldhighbreedecosse cable.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:
aliEnRIK: But again, NOTHING to do with listening for differences are they?

Well, you're not even believing the studies of listening for differences. The only study you seem to believe is the one sponsored by Russ Andrews. There's an obvious conflict of interest in that study. Can you imagine Russ Andrews sponsoring a study only to find that cables don't make a difference? Do you think Russ Andrews would ever publish such a study?

With regards to the Ben Duncan study, large RF signals coming down the mains at the levels they were testing at just doesn't ever happen and therefore isn't an issue. RF breakthrough is invariably caused by direct radiation and you know when you have it because you can hear it.

Russ Andrews commissioned the test solely to deflect the ASA and he succeeeded in that, because he could back his claims for RFI reduction in his mains leads, albeit a rather small reduction, but at what price? A Tacima is far cheaper.

I completely see where your coming from, but at least it was 'measured' and perhaps a tad more viable than 'Ted' from 'Manchester' whos stone deaf

You cant discount the test just because of the range of RFI that was used. It doesnt mean LESS RFI isnt going to affect hifi.

Tacimas affect large power devices, I wouldnt use one personally

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
bigboss:

007L2Thrill: I say will all go and buy a Russ Andrews Silver Signature PowerKord for 1 metre at £3422, now that's cheap, but I would never pay that much for any cable, but would love to try it.

Hmmm.......maybe I should try it with my cheapie 32-inch TV in the bedroom
emotion-43.gif

Could do, and after you finished with it I will give it ago on my tesco boom box.
emotion-15.gif

idc

aliEnRIK:I'd just like to add that blind tests only prove if there are differences (if properly done). It does NOT prove if differences cant be heard/seen/smelt/tasted etc. It would just mean its inconclusive

Only with audiophiles is that the case. In all other testing fields a series of ABX/blind tests that show no difference between two allegedly different products leads to the conclusion that there is no difference between those products. So such tests are a valuable proof that there are and there are not differences, not just proof that there are differences.

idc

aliEnRIK:I'd just like to add that blind tests only prove if there are differences (if properly done). It does NOT prove if differences cant be heard/seen/smelt/tasted etc. It would just mean its inconclusive

That is absolutely wrong. ABX/blind tests are used to find out if there are or are not differences between products. They prove either, not just the one.

A

Anonymous

the only blind test that found mains cables make a positive difference was conducted on behalf of russ andrews ? if this is correct , surely it sais it all ?

idc

Er, has WHF not done power cables in the Big Question? Or was it power cables vs other cable upgrades where the listeners thought it was the kit being changed not the cables.

In any case it was not a blind test with RA, it was a research paper to stop them getting into trouble with the ASA.

A

Anonymous

ok cheers .. anyway , logic tells me mains cables are snake oil .. just my views ..

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:
And a sugar pill against an aspirin? Well id taste sugar over aspirin for certain. But if you mean actually affecting the body in some way, then thats easy to test for. If you mean if id 'feel' changes, I dont believe id know about either personally.

not necessarily - for many illnesses our only real way to judge whether people are 'well' is their perceptions and perceptions have been shown to be heavily influenced by what people believe. That's why double blind testing is used to remove the placebo effect.

Rik - i'd highly recommend this as a good read -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Science-Ben-Goldacre/dp/0007240198

A

Anonymous

007L2Thrill:
maxflinn:ok cheers .. anyway , logic tells me mains cables are snake oil .. just my views ..

But have you tried one in your own system max?
emotion-5.gif

ah , the age old question , have i tried one ? hmmm , (think to myself) what if they work ? many people say they do , could they ? i really want to get the best from my kit , its cost me so much , a mains cable eh ? could be just the ticket , better this , sharper that , more communicative , authoritative , more assured , well defined edges , crisper sound , oh god , i want one , i want one ...
i dont want one actually , curiosity aint gonna kill maxs cat
emotion-5.gif

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:007L2Thrill:

maxflinn:ok cheers .. anyway , logic tells me mains cables are snake oil .. just my views ..

But have you tried one in your own system max?
emotion-5.gif

ah , the age old question , have i tried one ? hmmm , (think to myself) what if they work ? many people say they do , could they ? i really want to get the best from my kit , its cost me so much , a mains cable eh ? could be just the ticket , better this , sharper that , more communicative , authoritative , more assured , well defined edges , crisper sound , oh god , i want one , i want one ...

i dont want one actually , curiosity aint gonna kill maxs cat
emotion-5.gif

So I will take that as a no then?

Do you have a cat then?

A

Anonymous

na , the dogs ate him
emotion-1.gif

have not tried one 007 , i wont be either , but if anyone has , and believe they are worth the money , then good luck to them
emotion-21.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
b33k34:aliEnRIK:
And a sugar pill against an aspirin? Well id taste sugar over aspirin for certain. But if you mean actually affecting the body in some way, then thats easy to test for. If you mean if id 'feel' changes, I dont believe id know about either personally.

not necessarily - for many illnesses our only real way to judge whether people are 'well' is their perceptions and perceptions have been shown to be heavily influenced by what people believe. That's why double blind testing is used to remove the placebo effect.

Rik - i'd highly recommend this as a good read -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Science-Ben-Goldacre/dp/0007240198

Cheers, I might check that out

On what youve just said there, when I first swopped the mains cable on my arcam for an Isotek ~ I truly believed I wouldnt be able to tell a difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts