mains cables

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Look at the thickness of a single strand bit of 5A fusewire.
2 strand wire might be all (or more than) you actually need.
It's fine over the length of a fuse but the longer the wire the greater the resistance. If you ran that 5A fuse wire the length of 1 meter mains cable it'd handle around 0.1A before melting.

Friesiansam

It's fine over the length of a fuse but the longer the wire the greater the resistance. If you ran that 5A fuse wire the length of 1 meter mains cable it'd handle around 0.1A before melting.
The thickness of the wire determines how much current it can handle, not it's length. Increasing the length will increase the amount of energy lost as heat due to resistance, not reduce the current that can be fed down the wire.

D

Deleted member 188516

Of course it will work, unless it's faulty. It won't affect the sound of course.

not if the cable has an iec plug and the amplifier does not have the matching socket !

spooks1982

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Simply put, no - it makes no difference at all. Just make sure the power cable is properly constructed. For a clearer explanation, this is a nice, well written article.

record_spot

I swapped out my existing power cables for some new ones. Didn't really notice a significant difference of any description with the new ones, but kept them in and got shot of the old ones.

The outgoing cables were a £150 Ross Andrews Powerkord 100 and a £400 JPS Labs "The Analog". They were replaced by some generic cables that cost about £15 all in for both.

D

Deleted member 108165

I swapped out my existing power cables for some new ones. Didn't really notice a significant difference of any description with the new ones, but kept them in and got shot of the old ones.

The outgoing cables were a £150 Ross Andrews Powerkord 100 and a £400 JPS Labs "The Analog". They were replaced by some generic cables that cost about £15 all in for both.
There are some on here who would say one of two things:
1. Your system wasn't revealing enough to enable you to hear the difference these magic cables can bring.
2. They are of such similar construction that it would be difficult to hear a difference by an untrained ear.
Both of the above are absolute tosh as far as I'm concerned...

record_spot

1. Your system wasn't revealing enough to enable you to hear the difference these magic cables can bring.
2. They are of such similar construction that it would be difficult to hear a difference by an untrained ear.

Haha, I bet!

Seeing as I'm using a pair of AVI ADM9 RSS Actives (affectionately known as Arses!) and several different sources - Cambridge Audio 752BD, Sony CDP-911E and so on, I think I'm good in the revealing gear dept. ;)

The other one would be possible, I'll grant you, but when you've got one cable coming in at £400-odd but with no difference to one 40 times cheaper, I'd feel a little short-changed I think...(I didn't pay £400 for it incidentally!).

D

Deleted member 108165

Haha, I bet!

Seeing as I'm using a pair of AVI ADM9 RSS Actives (affectionately known as Arses!) and several different sources - Cambridge Audio 752BD, Sony CDP-911E and so on, I think I'm good in the revealing gear dept. ;)

The other one would be possible, I'll grant you, but when you've got one cable coming in at £400-odd but with no difference to one 40 times cheaper, I'd feel a little short-changed I think...(I didn't pay £400 for it incidentally!).
Nah, my money is on that both the statements are complete and utter tosh :) As you've probably guessed I'm not a magic cable believer, but I have seen both statements used on here to justify support of magic cable theory.

Let the magic cable believers have their freedom but don't try and convince me with unsupportable evidence as to why I can't hear a difference.

Reactions: record_spot

Oldfart

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi Doug,
Having just rejoined after a long absence, this is probably far too contentious to argue for or against. My own personal experience is that following 46 years of using the supplied cables, my dealer convinced a very sceptical me to try one. Within the week, I had bought two more. There is no fool like an old one, I know, but my ears were convinced. Like all equipment, is it possible that not all mains cables are created equally as I’m sure the negative views and experiences are highly valid? Mine are Audioquest NRG Z3. He wanted me to buy a niagra conditioner thing, but I drew the line at that. My dad was an electrical engineer, hifi enthusiast and assisted Dan McDonald in design elements of the BSR Turntables post WW2. Should have stuck with him as eventually employed 17000 in 3 factories making 80% of the worlds TT. His advice: route mains cables away from other cables, never coil/ loop them to avoid induction loops and put a decent fuse in the plug. Don’t know what he would have made of this discussion but there were no Wi-fi, mobiles, computers smart devices etc. filling our listening environment with interference in his day.

D

Deleted member 188516

Simply put, no - it makes no difference at all. Just make sure the power cable is properly constructed. For a clearer explanation, this is a nice, well written article.

here is their video:-
(it features in my op !)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgun97VK7y8&feature=emb_logo

Reactions: spooks1982
D

Deleted member 188516

or "3" the power supplies inside the components are well designed hence any mains noise is removed.

Reactions: iMark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts