Mains cable (aka power cord) with smooth, warm sound less than £100 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
ponkine said:
Who said I'm going to plug the cable to my CDP? ;)

To start with, my CDP has a figure 8 plug!

I asked you at the beginning which component you were going to use it on, but you didn't say, so that is why people had to guess.

The post by The Record Spot above, and most of the others, tell you what you need to know. Searching for a "warm smooth sound" from a mains cable is futile. You can be forgiven for thinking otherwise, as this magazine has reviews which practically say as much (they have to of course). It seems the likely problem is with your choice of kit and set up in your room.

Buying an "aftermarket" mains cable is your choice, but it's a choice that there's little point basing on whether that cable has a "warm smooth sound". Maybe John Lewis make cashmere braiding? You may as well base the choice on you liking the look and feel of the cable (I'm not joking, it's as valid a criteria as the "sound" of it), or the company's website, or it being the same brand as your other cables so you have a "loom".

A

Anonymous

Copper-line Alpha or Tarantula MK6?

That's all, don't want to struggle around and spend more cash. Both seem to be good choices within budget :wave:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
As suggested above, Audioquest make good stuff. Alternatively, Clearer Audio Copperline is a great cable, which you can send back if not what you're looking for. On sale here:

http://www.cleareraudio.com/onlinestore/Copper-line_Clearance_Cables.html

I would go for the above Copper-Line which is on sale; or go for the Alpha +

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:
As suggested above, Audioquest make good stuff. Alternatively, Clearer Audio Copperline is a great cable, which you can send back if not what you're looking for. On sale here:

Those copper-Line cables cost between £90-£130! Sheesh.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
paradiziac said:
... It's common practice to allocate 10% of total system budget to cables (including interconnects and speaker cables).

Out of interest, how does one precisely apply this time 'honoured' theory?

Say, for example, my system is worth c. £9,000, should the overall budget for interconects and speaker cable be £900?

And, in turn, should I divide the number of components requiring interconnects, say five, and the speaker cable by 900 - ergo, 900 ÷ 6?

Therefore, £150 for each interconnect and £150 for the runs of speaker cable, or...?

Then again, what if a system cost £9,000 and is comprised of three components - eg amp, CDP and speakers?

Should the allocation then be £450 for the CDP/amp inter and £450 for the runs of speaker cable, or...?

No doubt you can see my confusion - there's a wee diffrence between £150 and £450 inters.

Just askin' :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:

Those Copper Line cables cost £90-130!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
snivilisationism said:
Perception is a wonderful antidote for reality.
Since everything we (all) believe to be true, has been filtered by our perception, this statement applies to both sides of the argument....in fact it applies to both sides of nearly every argument.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
snivilisationism said:
Since everything we (all) believe to be true, has been filtered by our perception, this statement applies to both sides of the argument....in fact it applies to both sides of nearly every argument.
:) Indeed. In another dimension I am sat in front of the perfect audio playback system with Aristotle tapping his perfect foot to the beat of a perfect drum.
CnoEvil said:
snivilisationism said:

:) Indeed. In another dimension I am sat in front of the perfect audio playback system with Aristotle tapping his perfect foot to the beat of a perfect drum.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ponkine said:
Copper-line Alpha or Tarantula MK6?

That's all, don't want to struggle around and spend more cash. Both seem to be good choices within budget :wave:

They're both expensive mains cables!!!! :doh: :wall:

I don't wish to sound rude but haven't you read any of the posts in this thread? Using a different mains cable won't make any difference to the sound of your hifi.

With all due respect I would suggest that you just keep using the mains cable that you already have and spend your money on some that will actually make a difference like some new CD's to put in your CD player. :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
snivilisationism said:
CnoEvil said:
snivilisationism said:
CnoEvil said:
snivilisationism said:

Yes indeed. And in another dimension people come to forums for advice and get told to waste there money on expensive mains cables that make no difference whatsoever to the sound of their hifi.

Oh wait a minute, that's not another dimension that's this one.

John Duncan

steve_1979 said:
snivilisationism said:
Yes indeed. And in another dimension people come to forums for advice and get told to waste there money on expensive mains cables that make no difference whatsoever to the sound of their hifi.

You're right, we should ban them all for being boring...

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i found some chord superscreens lowered the noise floor on my kit giving it a step up in dynamics as the quiet bits of music were errrrr quieter. to think that a mains cable could be used as a tone control tho is a bit optimistic.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

As far as I'm aware, in this dimension, opinion is still defined as a subjective belief, which is formed as a result of emotion, or the interpretation of facts.

IMO It is the cable antagonists who are doing the OP a disservice, by assuming that he doesn't have the necessary sense or judgement to make up his own mind.

My advice has always been to "suck it" and see, without the commitment to buy. There are enough people on here, who have heard the benefits (and feel the need to duck for cover!), to make experiments worthwhile.

I have heard mains cables from Furutech, Cardas, Clearer Audio, Chord, Atlas and TCI, all at various price levels, and on a wide range of kit. The improvements ranged from nothing at all, to substantial, depending on the brand, the situation and the component.

I have experimented a fair bit over the years, and have heard enough to warrant the suggestions I give....I would be interested in hearing what cables others have tried unsuccessfully, and on what components (in what systems). At least this shows that the advice derives from personal experience, rather than hearsay and the repetition of the views of others.
It could also prove more useful to the OP, than bringing into question his strategy, let alone the sanity of the people who are trying to help, in good faith.

It would also be nice to think, that the good folks on the antagonistic side of this debate, would show the same respectful approach that the protagonists show to them.

Peace and love to all

Cno

Farmitou

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
" It would also be nice to think, that the good folks on the antagonistic side of this debate, would show the same respectful approach that the protagonists show to them."

Here here! Well said!

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
As far as I'm aware, in this dimension, opinion is still defined as a subjective belief, which is formed as a result of emotion, or the interpretation of facts.
Well, to be fair, in this dimension opinion is also severely impacted by peer pressure and product marketing efforts that abuse the emotional component.

IMO It is the cable antagonists who are doing the OP a disservice, by assuming that he doesn't have the necessary sense or judgement to make up his own mind. My advice has always been to "suck it" and see, without the commitment to buy.
:clap:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
My opinion maybe doesn't count that much as I am really new to this world, but today I had opportunity to try a 6k valve amp with an expensive (220 eur for 1 mt) power cable and the dealer was gentle enough to make me try the same amp with a standard power cable...and I must say I could hear the difference...I was also skeptical on this subject...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tremon said:
]Well, to be fair, in this dimension opinion is also severely impacted by peer pressure and product marketing efforts that abuse the emotional component.

Ah, so that is why my house is full of Meerkats and bisto! Just for the sake of accuracy, I don't suffer from peer pressure, but Spousal Coercion and Pester Power. :(

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
My opinion maybe doesn't count that much as I am really new to this world, but today I had opportunity to try a 6k valve amp with an expensive (220 eur for 1 mt) power cable and the dealer was gentle enough to make me try the same amp with a standard power cable...and I must say I could hear the difference...I was also skeptical on this subject...

Well don't just dangle the carrot....?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Well don't just dangle the carrot....?
Sound was just more defined, more clear...was not a night and day difference, just to be clear, but enough for my not trained hears to identify the improvement. Also my gf was able to spot which one was the best without knowing which was the most expensive cable :D

EDIT: It DID not change the sound of course...it just made it more defined/clear...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts