Mac video-player software that buffers the data-stream?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I know I’ve not got the world’s greatest home-network and streaming solution. Basically I have a bog-standard Verbatim 2TB external HDD plugged into my Netgear router and I access it via a homeplug on the end of a 2011 Mac Mini.

Even though my network solution is no great shakes technology-wise, you can still copy and paste a 4GB file to and from the external HDD in less than 15 minutes over the network. So when that file just happens to be an MP4 film which lasts over two hours, I do expect the Mac Mini to be able to stream it from the external HDD without stuttering and pausing, providing the playback software takes the opportunity to buffer ahead when the going’s good. But neither iTunes, Quicktime, nor even the all-mighty VLC seem to do this, so watching HD films streamed straight from my external HDD is painful. I always have to copy them to the computer HDD first.

What Mac media players, if any, buffer the data ‘YouTube style’ so that there aren’t stutters and pauses when the data-stream from the external HDD just happens to hang for a second or two?

abacus

Check your video player’s settings as you can normally change the buffering from auto to manual, and then set the amount you require. (Note: This is available available on the Windows and Linux computers I use so I would imagine the option would also be available on a MAC)

Hope this helps

Bill

daveh75

Vlc does/will buffer, but the buffer cache is set quite low by default.

Not used it on a Mac, so no idea where it will be, but would suggest you have a dig about in VLCs network/streaming settings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts