Mac Lion OS-friendy NAS

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi all

I'm only now beginning to think/realise that many of my recent Buffalo Terastation NAS problems (drop outs, 'hiding' folders and much else causing much wailing, tearing out of hair and nashing of teeth) have been caused by its incompatibility with the Mountain Lion OS in my MacBook Air:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/Mac-OS-10-7-Lion-can-t-connect-with-LinkStation-LS-WX2-0TL-R1/td-p/57114/page/27

Serves me right I guess for buying an obsolete model (LS WX2). What should I be looking at that will WORK with Mountain Lion OS?

Many thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
One of the big reasons I went for Synology for my new NAS was their support for Mac products. When the new Apple OS (Lion I believe) no longer supported the protocols used by the Buffalo NAS I had, it wasn't great to hear Buffalo's answer was "tough luck, it's out of support - why not buy a new Buffalo NAS".

Synology on the other hand released an updated firmware even for unsupported devices to allow Mac users to connect after this update.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
professorhat said:
One of the big reasons I went for Synology for my new NAS was their support for Mac products. When the new Apple OS (Lion I believe) no longer supported the protocols used by the Buffalo NAS I had, it wasn't great to hear Buffalo's answer was "tough luck, it's out of support - why not buy a new Buffalo NAS".

Synology on the other hand released an updated firmware even for unsupported devices to allow Mac users to connect after this update.

Many thanks for that, professorhat. Which Synology have you got exactly?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I've got the 412+, but they all run the same software so the model isn't crucial for that. You just need to decide how much storage you need and what you're intending to use the NAS for really, and you can then work out the model you require from that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts