Mac experts please- USB or Optical

knacker

Dec 19, 2007
Visit site
Guys, especially Mac owners out there- is there any difference between the output from digital optical compared to USB i.e. is the USB limited to 96k or is that windows based stuff?

I have mac mini connected to a Cyrus 6XPD and have a wireworld Purple USB cable or a TCI Coral Optical cable that I can use.

I have also heard about bit perfect for itunes- would this make any difference

Sorry if I am asking dumb ass questions but I have never used a Mac for anything before

A

Anonymous

Assuming that the USB is asynchronus on the Cyrus as on most high-end bits of kit it would be best to go down the USB route as this should have the least jitter.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
IME, when connecting an MBP to an rDAC there's allegedly less - almost nil? - jitter via USB.

And the rDAC will output up to 96kHz via USB, subject to resetting OS X's Audio MIDI to 96kHz. (I haven't a scooby whether or not a Cyrus 6XPD outputs 96kHz via Optical.)

And IIRC, OS X + iTunes = bit perfect, whatever that may mean??

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
The Leema Elements DAC can handle 192kHz/24 on all its inputs from the Mac. I use the USB connection from my iMac. I run a program called Puremusic that piggybacks onto iTunes and improves the sound as well as playing files that iTunes natively won't.

songox

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi! I personally prefer optical output to USB from my MB going to rDac! I find that sound from optical out is cleaner and less grainy so maybe u should try them both out and see whitch u prefer better!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Itunes on mac is bit perfect (with itunes volume set to max, equaliser off and bit depth and sampling rate matching the file - although I would not worry if output is always set at say 24/96).

I used both optical and usb in my set up and did not notice any difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts