MA Platinum & Primare

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Would really appreciate some advice here. Just bought a pair of MA P (shelf) and a I30. I do like the sound but notice that treble seems overly harsh or perhaps piercing on some classical peices (e.g. strings) at higher volumes, other genres seem fine, vocals particularly. I do wonder if I got the pairing right as each in their on right are excellent. BTW, the speaker grilles do dampen it sufficiently, but then I lose some aesthetices and the low volume crispness. Any advice appreciated. Also should I have just bought the floor standers and be done with it ?- though I do like the elegance of the shelf speakers on their stands - they are a beautiful bit of furniture. Expert guidence appreciated.

John Duncan

[quote user="Anchorman"]I do wonder if I got the pairing right as each in their on right are excellent.[/quote]

So do I - I'd have thought that the Platinums would be as good as it got from a Monitor Audio, despite their somewhat shrill treble (to my ears) further down the range - I've always found Primare exceptionally smooth up top, but maybe this is one step too far for the i30? What are your options, swaps-wise? Will the dealer let you try something else (amp or speaker)? Plenty of exceptional speaker options out there, though can't help much with amps as my sights stop there.........

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
They will need to run in for a considerable time though the underlying sound you'll end up with is usually present right from the beginning.

I am loosing track of people pointing out high frequency exhuberance of MA products. I have'nt heard any of their latest top products so can't help you on that one but it seems there's a common thread going throughout the whole range. I won't denounce every product they make but I think very careful matching and by that I mean an extensive home trial, is the order of the day perhaps more so than with other products though its a wise choice if given the opportunity anyhow.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
That's my dream combo!! Surely spending that amount of money you must have auditioned them?? MA speakers are supposed to need a longish run in, maybe they just need time. However, your description of ear piercing is a major worry.

John Duncan

Well volume + violins is a tricky combination, but yeah, I'd be looking for a cloth tweeter
emotion-1.gif

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Well I have to admit I'm starting to wonder if I bought the wrong speakers (RS6s), leaving the "treble problem" out of the equation for a minute or two I just don't seem to be able to recreate the 3D soundstage that I'm looking for I've tried various speakers positions distances from walls, toe in, straight etc and I'm now thinking about buying different speakers and am even (I think) willing to lose abit of bass if need be for the elusive really life band in my lounge expericence, anyone got any suggestions ???

A

Anonymous

[quote user="huddo"]Well I have to admit I'm starting to wonder if I bought the wrong speakers (RS6s), leaving the treble "problem out of the equation for a minute or two I just don't seem to be able to recreate the 3D soundstage that I'm looking for I've tried various speakers positions distances from walls, toe in, straight etc and I'm now thinking about buying different speakers and am even (I think) willing to lose abit of bass if need be for the elusive really life band in my lounge expericence, anyone got any suggestions ???[/quote]
For the same price you must audition the Rega R5s. Very competent speakers for the price and have a great soundstage. Without wanting to sound controversial, they outperform the RS6s and are more neutral too.

Of course, you could always up the budget and see what else comes into the equation...Proac Studios, etc.

John Duncan

[quote user="huddo"]Well I have to admit I'm starting to wonder if I bought the wrong speakers (RS6s), leaving the treble "problem out of the equation for a minute or two I just don't seem to be able to recreate the 3D soundstage that I'm looking for I've tried various speakers positions distances from walls, toe in, straight etc and I'm now thinking about buying different speakers and am even (I think) willing to lose abit of bass if need be for the elusive really life band in my lounge expericence, anyone got any suggestions ???[/quote]

Narrow standmounters would be my bet. Best imaging I've seen (literally) was the Tablette Reference 8 Signature. I like the idea of the Totem Arro and Spendor SA1, though haven't heard them. Electrostatics are known for it, but are expensive and difficult to accommodate.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anchorman"]
Would really appreciate some advice here. Just bought a pair of MA P (shelf) and a I30. I do like the sound but notice that treble seems overly harsh or perhaps piercing on some classical peices (e.g. strings) at higher volumes, other genres seem fine, vocals particularly. I do wonder if I got the pairing right as each in their on right are excellent. BTW, the speaker grilles do dampen it sufficiently, but then I lose some aesthetices and the low volume crispness. Any advice appreciated. Also should I have just bought the floor standers and be done with it ?- though I do like the elegance of the shelf speakers on their stands - they are a beautiful bit of furniture. Expert guidence appreciated.
[/quote]

You were a step ahead of me my friend.......I tried and failed to find a local dealer selling the platinum floor standers to match my primare set-up.........I would have been willing them to sound nice because they look so beautiful! Would have thought primare and MA would have been a good combination.........as JD and Thaiman will correctly tell you, the primare sound is a smooth one, but matching the right components will allow the more lively genres to portray nicely. You can see below the speakers I pitched for........no harsh treble there........I don't listen to any classical music, but the occasional string instrument creeps in my music and it sounds sweet ;) So Dali is one tried and tested option that certainly works well for me........there are a multitude of options though at that price range. It may be worth just listening to how the PL 300s sound in your system before commiting to anything just yet........

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]
[quote user="huddo"]Well I have to admit I'm starting to wonder if I bought the wrong speakers (RS6s), leaving the treble "problem out of the equation for a minute or two I just don't seem to be able to recreate the 3D soundstage that I'm looking for I've tried various speakers positions distances from walls, toe in, straight etc and I'm now thinking about buying different speakers and am even (I think) willing to lose abit of bass if need be for the elusive really life band in my lounge expericence, anyone got any suggestions ???[/quote] For the same price you must audition the Rega R5s. Very competent speakers for the price and have a great soundstage. Without wanting to sound controversial, they outperform the RS6s and are more neutral too.

Of course, you could always up the budget and see what else comes into the equation...Proac Studios, etc.
[/quote]

Again, as always, I totally agree when it comes to Regas speakers. Any other manufacturer would charge £1 - 1.5k for a speaker such as the R5's and that is approximately where I would pitch them against the competition. Absolutely stunning transparency and it'll drive a relatively sizeable room with ease and no boom whatsoever matched correctly. Though I have to say I've yet have to hear Regas floorstanders sound bad on the receiving end of reasonable amplification. They are not fussy but shine with good components. Underrated.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the comment. Wnen you say "one step too far" are you thinking I need to get a better amp? I was toying with asking the dealer to change it for the Primare Pre30 and one of the separate amps maybe the A33.2. Or even another brand.... Still testing at home before I go back to the dealer. Maybe I should spend another 1000 or so on the amp. Always tricky to know when to stop, and I never do....

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that., I was thinking the same as there is a demo pair of floor standers. I was also thinking of changing the amp to go for the pre and separate amp A33.2 or something as I do like the Primare aesthetics. The speakers are beautiful too, so if I do change to a diferent brand on either it will be with heavy heart...

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I'll think about the running in - they were a demo pair already though - so I'll check how long for. On auditions...erm, no...I only went out to buy an amp....I might test the PL300s to see if that better with my amp - may need to increase the power though...

A

Anonymous

uUst to update this. I bought a Chord DAC 64 today. Only a Mk1 (I believ I can upgrade it) but at £800 I thought I'd take a punt. Bought from Audio Consultants in Aldermastom the proprietor of which was disarmingly charming. Crikey the cables are expensive! Steep learning curve for me. Anyway, I can report that all traces of harshness are completely ironed out with a fantastically smooth sound and excellent (by my standards) soundstage. What a component - has to must have purchase.I will probably check into the potential of an upgrade a Mk2. ....C

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts