MA GS10 or Stick with 685s

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
There seem to be a lot of good second hand deals on the Monitor Audio gs10. I have a pair of 685s at the moment and was thinking of swapping them (i prefer the finish and look of the GS10). Can anyone comment on thier sonic ability? Also are they easier or harder to drive than the 685s? They will be powered by cyrus pre/power 8 combo.

A

Anonymous

I recently auditioned 685s and BR2s..(a bit lower in the scale I know)..I came out of the shop with the BR2s. I aint no expert but they sounded a whole lot better than the 685s. (theyre great at home as well) The guy in the shop couldnt beleive it, I think he thought there was something wrong with me.(lets not debate that point) ......So...have a listen for yourself especially if you havent got B&W designed ears.

A

Anonymous

Seeing as the GS10's cost twice as much as the B&W 685's they should sound better.

I have the 685's on the end of my Rotel and the sound brilliant now the have run in......about 100 hours.

Not sure what B&W ears are supposed to hear as my speakers in the past have include kef, celestion, audio research and pioneer.

Stick with the 685's

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
What's your source, SHAXOS? At the moment your amplification is superior to your speakers (great though the B&Ws are at the money - though you need the space and solid stands to hear them at their best), but the benefits of any upgrade will also depend on the capability of your player.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies much appreciated!

My source is currently a CD6s. The speakers are on superdreadnaught stands ( as recommended by WHFI) I was considering that the speakers may be limiting my set up a bit and with a budget of around 700 - 800 (once ive sold my current speakers) i could do better. I was looking at the GS10s but have been told they are a bad partner to cyrus stuff ( too bright apparently). The spendor speakers are always quoted as being good with cyrus but i'd sooner lick my own behind than have them ugly things in my living room. Oh, ive also been offered a pair of B&W CM7 for around 750.

So i dont know really.

Maybe i should spend the money on an x power instead and get a new cd player (at a later date) before updating the speakers?

A

Anonymous

i owned the ma gs10s and found they were superb sounding speakers. Vocals were crisp & clear plenty of detail and plenty of bass for a small stand mount. How close to a rear wall will they be? I sold mine because of room limitations they were about a foot from rear wall which was making the bass too boomy. This was due to them being rear ported. You can use foam port bungs to tone it down but i wouldn't recommend it as it changes the whole characteristic of the speaker. If you have the room go for them.

A

Anonymous

I had GS10's and thought they were very good although I had to use the foam bungs in them due to location.

now have some front ported Leema Zyp's,different league.you could probably get a pair for £600-£700 2nd hand ,money well spent imo

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think it all depends on what sort of music you listen to. If you want tight bass then B&W are a decent option. If you want more midrange then MA are probably better, or you could try Epos m12.2 or AVI Neutron IV if you're not interested in biwiring/biamping - they are an incredible sounding speaker for the price and size.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Check these out too. They'll wipe the floor with the 685s, I have a pair.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ProAc-Tablette-Reference-8-Loudspeakers_W0QQitemZ280209632525QQihZ018QQcategoryZ112516QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts