MA br1 or Tannoy F1 speakers to go with Denon M37?

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
As it is very unlikely I will get the chance to visit a store where I live to listen to the Denon DM37 with the Tannoy F1 speakers and the MA br1's I was woundering if anyone had experienced either of the or both of them?

I am going to use QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable and Atacama Nexus Speaker Stands.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Didn't get the opportunity to listen to the Tannoys, but I am more than pleased with the MA BR1s which I ended up with. (Compared the BR1s with the MS 902i's).

I believe the Tannoy F1s may be quite a bit larger in size than the BR1s

A

Anonymous

I used to have Onkyo 725 with MA BR2s and QED SA XT cables... I'd say go with Chord Silverscreen as QED may lighten up the bass in such a setup.

I thought MA BR2s were very good - so BR1s may be similar. But I'd take Wh Diamond 9.1s over both BR1s and F1s or look for bargain Dali Lektors.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Im with Chainrock on this one

Look to swap the speaker cable for Chord Carnival Silverscreen.

Also; the Tannoy F1's work very well with the Denon but also the Dali Lektor 1's are great as well (just depends on your budget).

I havent heard the M/A BR1's but i know the BR2's are superb speakers but im not sure that the Denon would run them to their fullest potential!

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. My budget wont go as far as the Lektors or the BR2's. I can get the set up with the BR1's costing about £35 more than the Tannoys.

I will go for the Chord Carnival Silver as well.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO Tannoys all the way then.

Great sounding little speakers and will work well with the Chord speaker cable.

Have you budgeted for filling your speaker stands as well (i.e. atabites)?

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I am going to order the set up from superfi. they sell a 9kg tub of Atacama Atabites for £25. Do you think using it will make a big difference and will 9kg be enough for the 60cm stands?

A

Anonymous

I agree. Tannoys are easier to run than BR1s (8ohm vs 6ohm) but slightly less efficient (87db vs 88db). Tannoys could be a good choice esp they are cheaper.

Why dont you like the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s - they are £35 more than Tannoys but much much better than either. Their fit and finish is superb and light years ahead of Tannoys, they have wider frequency range (50-24k vs 54-20k for Tannoys), can handle more power and have won many 5 stars from WHF.

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Ok, well I have ruled out the BR1's. I have seen the reviews for the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s, but I have not seen too many comments on the performance with the Denon M37. Could anyone offer their thoughts here?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The 9.1's would again work very well with the Denon.

I havent heard them with the Denon but i've heard them with a number of budget amps and they sounded great; wouldnt say light years ahead of the Tannoys though although they do have an overall better soundstage and deeper bass.

The atabites would be enough for the Nexus 6 stands - 4-4.5kg in each is sufficient :)

A

Anonymous

By light years I was referring to fit&finish. Sound is better by regular years :)

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I have finally gone ahead and upped the balance on my credit card. I went for the Tannoys with the Chord speaker cables. I am hoping that it will sound good when it arrives next week.

I chose the Tannoys as they have such good reviews with the Denon and the Wharfdales apparently dont sound as good in the lower volume range and close to a wall (as mine will be).

A

Anonymous

nice - enjoy! Let us know what you think after you burn them in for a bit.

A

Anonymous

I doubt very much that you'll be disapointed with the Tannoys.

I know two people that have them, one being my other half who has them on the end of a Teac micro and it's suprising how good they sound. Suprising what volumes they can comfortably reach, aswell!

Just give them a good running in before you judge them though because when my friend first brought his home and hooked them up, the look on his face wasn't one of a happy shopper! They sounded thin and papery.

It wasn't long before that completely changed though...

A

Anonymous

Sorry if this is a bit of a noob question but here goes:ÿ

I've been thinking of getting the M37 and the Tannoys myself. I've read you should match the speaker's impedance to that of the system. From what I've been able to find out the M37 has an impedance of 6O and the Tannoys 8O, so why are so many people buying the Tannoys with this system? Is the difference in impedance not that important?

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Spiggy, I looked at many posts on here before buying the M37 with the Tannoy speakers. I have no idea how a differing impedance will effect (if it dose) a unit and speakers performance. But many people have explained the issue and the top and bottom of it is, the two products will work fine. The editor of WFM even reccommends the pairing and many internet site's sell the M37 and Tannoys as a package deal.

I am about 4 hours into using mine and the set up is very very good. the sound is very clear and if you like to turn the volume up the speakers sound better and better the louder they go. if you are thinking of buying this combo, then do so with confidence.

A

Anonymous

Spiggy - first these impedance numbers are nominal (sort of average) for the speakers and the system - real impedance is variable.

Second, 8 ohm speakers are easier to drive for an amp than say 6ohm. So you should be fine!

Only sideeffect is if your amp is rated at 30Wpc at 6ohms it will be a bit less running 8ohm speakers, but the difference is usually small and not noticable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts