m2ts Files with the PS3?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I wonder if I should just run CAT 6 ethernet upstairs to downstairs, maybe that will solve the issue?

Be about 40meters though
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

canada16:

I wonder if I should just run CAT 6 ethernet upstairs to downstairs, maybe that will solve the issue?

Be about 40meters though
emotion-3.gif

Quite messy i think, i tried it once and i could not notice any difference in the speed as everyone says wired is better than wireless?

M

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
edsib1:were only talking about ripping blu-rays that u actually own so u dont have to mess about finding the right disc.

U can call it a backup up in case the disc get scratched if u like.

U can call it what u like, but the fact remains that, while u may own the disc, u don't own the content that's on it, and if u make a copy, for whatever reason, then as things stand u're breaking the law.

Don't u read the legal notices that appear on ur screen before u play the movie?

A

Anonymous

Its all symantics.

I buy a movie, and if its a movie I watch all the time or the kids watch it with their choc fingers and kicking around the room, its going to get ruined.

I am just protecting my investment.

If its illegal to back up your own discs, then why does Play and amazon and other sell software to make backups? surley hollywood would have shut them down

Will check out that LG

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:edsib1:were only talking about ripping blu-rays that u actually own so u dont have to mess about finding the right disc.

U can call it a backup up in case the disc get scratched if u like.

U can call it what u like, but the fact remains that, while u may own the disc, u don't own the content that's on it, and if u make a copy, for whatever reason, then as things stand u're breaking the law.

Don't u read the legal notices that appear on ur screen before u play the movie?

You are correct Andrew. However, have you never ripped a cd, recorded off the radio? Both illegal too, unless I'm wrong. Also, what is the difference when I buy a BD and there is a digital copy, which you rip, compared to a DVD that you also rip.

A

Anonymous

Ok so the LG does everything the PS3 can do besides play games?

Might sell my PS3 TBH as I dont play games that much, have not finished Call of Duty 4 yet and its been on the shelf for months.

A

Anonymous

Panasonic Store:bigboss:Panasonic Store:

The MKV files are hard to convert and do take time as i found out myself but one thing i have ordered is the new Panasonic DMP-BDT300 3D blu ray player which has the ability to playback MKV files via the USB socket (meaning you will have to put the video you want to watch on a memory stick). This is mainly because i think this is the 1st ever machine that has the capability due to it being certified as a "DivX Plus HD" blu ray player.

It will be costly as the player is around £400 and obviosly it's 3D capable which is no benefit to you but it's the only piece of hardware that i know has the MKV playback facility.

M

Doesn't LG BD390 already support playback of MKV files (DivX HD)?

The LG BD390, the Oppo etc. can stream MKV files from your PC to the TV through the blu ray player. Where as the Panasonic DMP-BDT300 can actually playback MKV files without streaming as you basically put the movie on a USB memory stick and insert it into the player as the BDT300 has the relevant codec's onboard. I thought the Panasonic would be a good option if the OP has streaming issues.

M
no , no , the lg and oppo have usb ports too , and play back mkv files the same way as the pana
emotion-15.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
canada16:If its illegal to back up your own discs, then why does Play and amazon and other sell software to make backups? surley hollywood would have shut them down

It's not illegal to sell the software, it's what you do with it that counts. It's the old - and very topical - guns/murder question.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:what is the difference when I buy a BD and there is a digital copy, which you rip, compared to a DVD that you also rip.

The digital copy is designed to be copied to storage device, which you are allowed to do. The DVD/BD versions aren't.

And I'm not speaking personally here, but as a moderator on this forum. Neither this website nor the magazine condones illegal copying of copyright content.

A

Anonymous

Fair enough andrew.

Bigboss: thats a little over my budget, might have to wait for Sony to get off their butts and get M2TS support, But cant see it happening for some time as posts from the web go back to 2008.

So all blu-ray players are out of the question for streaming this format except that 370.00 dune one,

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:Panasonic Store:bigboss:Panasonic Store:

The MKV files are hard to convert and do take time as i found out myself but one thing i have ordered is the new Panasonic DMP-BDT300 3D blu ray player which has the ability to playback MKV files via the USB socket (meaning you will have to put the video you want to watch on a memory stick). This is mainly because i think this is the 1st ever machine that has the capability due to it being certified as a "DivX Plus HD" blu ray player.

It will be costly as the player is around £400 and obviosly it's 3D capable which is no benefit to you but it's the only piece of hardware that i know has the MKV playback facility.

M

Doesn't LG BD390 already support playback of MKV files (DivX HD)?

The LG BD390, the Oppo etc. can stream MKV files from your PC to the TV through the blu ray player. Where as the Panasonic DMP-BDT300 can actually playback MKV files without streaming as you basically put the movie on a USB memory stick and insert it into the player as the BDT300 has the relevant codec's onboard. I thought the Panasonic would be a good option if the OP has streaming issues.

M

no , no , the lg and oppo have usb ports too , and play back mkv files the same way as the pana
emotion-15.gif

I might of got it mistaken but the Panasonic BDT300 was the first player to adopt "DivX Plus HD" capability instead of the usual "DivX HD" playback. It's hard to explain the difference but here is an extract:

"DivX Plus HD Certification is the premium level of certification available from DivX, optimized for consumer electronics products and supports the playback of all content created with DivX software. Available on http://www.divx.com/, the newly released DivX Plus Software allows users to create and playback H.264 video in an .mkv file container. DivX Plus HD Certified devices will playback all previous versions of DivX video, premium Hollywood content in the DivX format, and DivX Plus HD video files with the .mkv file extension and AAC audio created with third-party tools".

A

Anonymous

Hey sorry to bother, not sure if I got an answer.

Will the LG stream MKV?

Sorry if already answered, or is the dune my only option right now?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

cant you stream it from your laptop to the ps3 using tversity ??

A

Anonymous

Tried TSMUXER And Tversity.

Maybe I might be stuck with a PC downstairs.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
You could always use RipBot264 to convert to PS3 1080p MP4, only trouble is the audio has to be converted to AAC, OK if it's TrueHD or PCM as you're converting a lossless file, but not so good with DTS as it can't decode DTS-HD, just the already compressed DTS core.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
canada16:

Be about 40meters though
emotion-3.gif

A friendly advice.. Please don't bother about Ethernet.. The problem that I have experienced is not with respect to the network bandwidth.. Agreed that PS3's Wifi is rubbish but the dedicated LAN for a 1080P streaming never worked for me.. I guess it is the technology limitation.. may be theoretically it is possible to stream a 1080P movie and in reality it works out in some instances.. but there are so many factors like the original video codec, how efficient it is, the streamer software effectiveness, the hardware limitations on which the streaming software is running..

I just resort to USB in the PS3 compatible format.. for MKV -> MKV2VOB works more than fine (the DTS checking option is imp if the AVR does not support DTS), most of the rest of the formats m2ts, AVCHD etc, if I am not mistaken, play native on PS3 with out any conversion.

A

Anonymous

Well tried the USB thing yesterday, and I formated into FAT32 and my 6gb file says it was too big, and will only take 4gb.

PS3 from what I see will only do FAT32 not NTFS.

I am starting to think that maybe I should try this LG player, and be rid of the lacking PS3.

I used to be a HUGE fan of the PS3, but I am starting to see that the PS3 cant really do much as all when it comes to HD.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Canada16, I have been this path before which I posted on another thread. Please be sure that you have both LG and PS3 at the same time and my suggestion would be buy the LG from a place where you can return back and run it for all the needed features.

I believe that the source player - especially for digital storable formats (other than discs) is in such an evolution state that there is still too much to desire for any one specific player with in a reasonable budget of 300 Pounds.

I have been wanting to get rid of PS3 for fan noise, minimal format support, no iTunes integration, no NTFS, poor wifi radio, limited network configurations but the cons outweigh the pros in any other player that I have experimented with which include great Video and Audio playback, awesome look and feel, superfast menu transitions - feels slick overall.

If you find something better than PS3 with respect to formats and gives you a reasonably good feel, please let me know and I will be the first one to buy it!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
canada16:
PS3 from what I see will only do FAT32 not NTFS.

That is right.. It does only FAT32 whics is one more annoyance. Luckily mkv2vob does exactly what is needed. It splits the files into 4GB chunks to fit on such FAT32 USB. Flip side 9 GB file is split into three files already which looks clumsy if not put into folders :(

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
You can stream the file to your PS3s hardrive and watch from there

Or you can save to dual layer disc and watch direct off that or again, copy to the ps3s hardrive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts