M&K SB8 or Velodyne SPL-R-800??

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
A few more details might help with a useful response - will it be used purely for home cinema, or for music as well? I assume you're limited on the size of sub you can accommodate - what's the largest you can get away with? And what size is your room?

A

Anonymous

ÿThe SPL800-r has EQ, which is takenfrom the Digital Drive range; this will take a reading of your room and basicallyfill in or remove the peaks and null points in the room. Most room have somekind of issue whether it be over bloomy or very bright EQ goes a long way tosolving these issues.

The product comes with a remote and mic soset up is very quick and straight forward, there are 4 phase settings (mostpeople never use phase but it's very important) and 4 presets for differentprogram material.

The SPL is a forward firing sub so it's veryclean and works well for music as well as moviesÿ

Room sizing is very important, as the subneeds to pressure load the room and remember that a sub is the second mostimportant speaker in the system, so getting the right size unit will make allthe difference.

Give the Distributor a call and they can point inthe right direction.ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

hmmm, not as straight forward as one would think then!

my room is 4.4 x 5m and it has 15 foot ceings. With regards to size of sub i want the smallest one i can get away with to be honest.

i will be using it for movies only.

Thanks for your responses fellas.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Gander: my room is 4.4 x 5m and it has 15 foot ceings. With regards to size of sub i want the smallest one i can get away with to be honest.As far as I'm concerned, there are no subs that will effectively fill that size room at the sort of size you're looking for. The Sunfire's True EQ Signature is going to be a little over your budget......

It will depend on how much sub bass you're after. If you want to 'pressurize' the room (meaning actually shifting air in the room, making it a truly physical experience), you will have to look at larger subs. The above mentioned sub gets surprisingly low for it's diminutive size, but isn't going to give you the sort of effect of someone slamming a snug fitting door (hope you know what I mean there!). Our dem room is a little smaller than yours, and it takes something an M&K MX250 or 350 to do that. Other subs can do the bass, but not shift it round the room in the same way.

If you only need to hear the bass, there's the Sunfire HRS8 or HRS12, Monitor Audio RSW12, Dynaudio SUB250 or SUB300, or if looks are important, you could even use two KEF HTB2SE's.........

It's all down to the performance you want from it. If you're serious, you're going to have to sacrifice a little bit of space.

A

Anonymous

No Sub with a 8" unit will ever pressureload your room, you have 3500 cubic feet to fill and a 12" unit is thesmallest size I would recommend.

You could get away with the SPL1000-r but aSPL800-r would struggle, in terms of size the 1000 is only a couple of inchesbigger and would still look small in that size room.

The class D amp with the EQ in the 1000 withhave the best chance of filling the room but if you can find the extra moneythe 1200 will work the best and put the bigger smile on your face.

ÿOne thing to remember is that if youcan you should! There nothing worse than buying the lesser product sittingthere think why didn't I just do it properly.

A lot of an action film is not what you can herebut what you can feel.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS