M-DAC anybody?

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Seems like all the M-DAC discussion is over at "the other place"...

Judging by the number of posts on here from people having issues with budget DACs and the positive user feedback coming in from respected people with some very high-end systems (WHF reviews not withstanding!), it seems like it might be a "no-brainer", fit-and-forget solution.

Anyone got/heard/want one?

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I have a CDQ, the M-DAC does not have any analogue inputs so would be no good for my setup, the sound will be similar between the two, DAC is supposed to be a bit better so it is well worth an audition if you are after this sort of product, they deserve good speakers and amplification to sound their best.

paradiziac said:
Seems like all the M-DAC discussion is over at "the other place"...

Judging by the number of posts on here from people having issues with budget DACs and the positive user feedback coming in from respected people with some very high-end systems (WHF reviews not withstanding!), it seems like it might be a "no-brainer", fit-and-forget solution.

Anyone got/heard/want one?

Hi paradiziac

Yes, i've got an M-DAC :) and i hope to be firing up this display unit soon and using the M-DAC straight into ATC's SCM100ASL Professional monitors. Anyway based on what i've heard so far the M-DAC deserves the praise which it has received :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rick,

Too bad Derby is a bit far or I'd be popping down for a listen...enjoy!

I'd be interested if it has any particular character (other than just being really good)!

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Thanks :) Ok i'll post my view on the performance of the M-DAC once i've also heard it through SCM100ASL Professional monitors :twisted:

Btw, where are you based?

Wow, a proper test then!

P.S. I'm in West Yorks ;)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Cold and unappealing but highly detailed. I preferred the V-DAC. Definitely a DAC you should audition, it isn't to everyone's case.

Hmm...And I prefer the builit-in DAC of PC/iPod over the V-DAC in my second system--especially when listening to 80's grunge--I like the added distortion and the lack of detail doesn't embarass my speakers. :D

System/listener synergy?

paradiziac said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Thanks :) Ok i'll post my view on the performance of the M-DAC once i've also heard it through SCM100ASL Professional monitors :twisted:

Btw, where are you based?

Wow, a proper test then!

P.S. I'm in West Yorks ;)

Hi paradiziac

Indeed :) Cut to the chase :grin:

I've got quite a number of clients in Yorkshire. In fact i had some clients also visit from Huddersfield just yesterday :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

T

the record spot

Issues with budget DACs...? Really?! Try Firestone Audio's Spitfire II - quite brilliant for the money.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
stephennic said:
paradiziac said:
@RS, you're one of the lucky few who are content with their gear :)

Hi,

I thought you were happy with your Audio-gd NFB- 2.

Cheers

Steve.

I was referring more to the general number of posts from folks saying that their budget DAC was bright/harsh/thin/tinny/soulless/artificial sounding. I think my V-DAC suffered (albeit mildly) from this, and the NFB-2 has fixed this issue. I think it was a good upgrade for a small price (once I've sold the V-DAC!) and it's more than good enough for the current job.

But at some point, I might like to upgrade my speakers, so in an ideal world where I had bags of time, I would try to listen to both the NFB-2 and M-DAC with better speakers--since if I was going to ultimately prefer the M-DAC it would make sense to return the NFB-2 and suffer the V-DAC for a bit longer and then get the M-DAC and delay the speaker upgrade (or maybe play around with cheaper vintage speakers).

Another nice thing is the built-in pre- on the M-DAC that lends itself to experiements with power amps or actives.

paradiziac said:
:clap:

So it looks like it's got the :dance: factor!

Hi paradiziac

Ok i've briefly listen to the M-DAC connected to SCM100ASL Pro monitors and the M-DAC has definitely got the :dance: factor! So far so good :) Only £599!
smiley-smile.gif
:grin: Anyway i'll post a more detailed view later.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

hello musicraft,

and the level of performance only as D/AC?

as about the sonic level perfomance compared with others externals D/ACs? (which ones?)

and for synergy with ATC scm40?

in your opinion, both sonically complement well and make a good team on the same system?

thank you

A

Anonymous

altruistic.lemon said:
Hang on a minute there, Musicraft, mate! Weren't you just saying how wonderful the Rega DAC was a few weeks ago, the latest best ever thing?

When you start seeing dealers write poor reviews of kit they stock/have stocked, then you start paying attention to positive reviews of kit they're trying to sell.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Another best thing since sliced bread DAC, so we are being told
smiley-undecided.gif

First the Rega, now the M-DAC....

I'm very happy with my non hyped, non household name M2Tech Young which makes mincemeat of both, IMO of course
smiley-wink.gif
, and if you shop around the price difference isn't that big.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
garyw77 said:
I'm very happy with my non hyped, non household name M2Tech Young which makes mincemeat of both, IMO of course
smiley-wink.gif

I don't doubt the Young is a nice DAC, itself pretty much "hyped" on forums when it came out. I'd be interested in the M-DAC/Rega/Young comparision if you've heard them in the same system...

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Hang on a minute there, Musicraft, mate! Weren't you just saying how wonderful the Rega DAC was a few weeks ago, the latest best ever thing?

Maybe they're both good.

Different feature sets and sound.

Horses for courses?

A

Anonymous

I borrowed an MDAC a couple of weeks ago and very unimpressed with it, very little difference in sound quality to my Cyrus 6se2 be it analogue output to Naim Nait5i or digital output from the Cyrus to MDAC same applied when tested with my V+ box and Blu-ray player, the output from the Cyrus showed as 18bit/44.103k which is obviously wrong, after speaking to John Westlake online he said the Cyrus was not giving a bit perfect output but Cyrus said that they did not know what he was talking about. Anyway I am surprised by this because I borrowed a 8200cdq a couple of months ago and was really impressed with it a big improvement over my Cyrus so hopefully it was a faulty MDAC I will have to wart until Sevenoaks get more stock of MDACS so I can do a direct comparisons

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts