LP Gear T4P cartridges

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if anyone has had any experience with any of the above T4P cartridges.

Considering one of the VL cartridges as a replacement for the original P30 cartridge in my Technics SL-QD33.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATSER05L.html

The existing stylus is well worn, probably 25 years old and having recently returned to listening to my old vinyl through the phono input of my new Perreaux 150i amp, I am wondering about how much more improvement I can get from a "better" cartridge than just replacing the stylus?

trevorok

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I would go for a new cart plenty of 4p types or you could use the adapter for a half inch fitting and maybe fit audio technica at 95 ex or 95 e or an ortofon mm red as I don't know much about 4p carts hope it helps a bit

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
trevorok said:
I would go for a new cart plenty of 4p types or you could use the adapter for a half inch fitting and maybe fit audio technica at 95 ex or 95 e or an ortofon mm red as I don't know much about 4p carts hope it helps a bit
You can't use a normal cartridge with a T4P tonarm. The adapter you've seen was for the other way round: using T4P carts on a standard tonearm. T4P arms by design usually have few-if-any user-adjustable controls, so even if OP could find a way to hack a normal cartridge into his Technics, he couldn't balance the playing weight.

OP: how about just replacing the stylus? I'm sure there must be some available through eBay. But to directly answer your question, I don't have experience of those cartridges. I was lucky that my SL-6 came with an Ortofon OM-10P when I bought it, so the upgrade route for me (should I ever want to) would simply be an OM20 stylus (that costs more than the price of the turntable...so probably won't happen).

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the issue is that I have no idea whether the base AudioTechnica Series V cartridge they are offering with the better stylus is actually better than the original Technics supplied P30?

Another supplier I have found online (Turntable Needles) offers the AT92 cartridge with a shibata stylus, or a Jico SAS cut stylus for a P30E/P30 cartridge, again I have no idea of the merits of the AT92 cartridge vs mine vs the AT Series V, and the difference , if any, between the P30 I have and the P30E.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
daytona600 said:
T4P turntables are 30+ years old & only used for cheap midi & music centres

you can only fit whats available Technics would have bought in a badged AT cartridge or buy a modern project/rega

You're right about their age but your opinion of their application is not wholly correct. Turntables such as the SL10 and SL12, which used a rather expensive T4P MC, were certainly not cheap, and good ones that have survived still aren't.

I'll take an SL10/12 any day over those modern turntables made from a polished formica worktop with an arm and flimsy platter nailed to it, driven by a motor suspended on an elastic band.

MajorFubar said:
daytona600 said:

you can only fit whats available Technics would have bought in a badged AT cartridge or buy a modern project/rega

You're right about their age but your opinion of their application is not wholly correct. Turntables such as the SL10 and SL12, which used a rather expensive T4P MC, were certainly not cheap, and good ones that have survived still aren't.

I'll take an SL10/12 any day over those modern turntables made from a polished formica worktop with an arm and flimsy platter nailed to it, driven by a motor suspended on an elastic band.

+1

It was a cheap solution for some but not all turntable manufacturers.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Seakiwi said:
I wonder if anyone has had any experience with any of the above T4P cartridges.

Considering one of the VL cartridges as a replacement for the original P30 cartridge in my Technics SL-QD33.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATSER05L.html

The existing stylus is well worn, probably 25 years old and having recently returned to listening to my old vinyl through the phono input of my new Perreaux 150i amp, I am wondering about how much more improvement I can get from a "better" cartridge than just replacing the stylus?

If you want ti discuss T4P cartridges with a knowledgeable authority, I can recommend you contact Bob Wood, either through his YouTube channel or through the Graham Slee forum, where he goes by the name of morris minor. Bob used to host a website dedicated to T4P cartridges.

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
daytona600 said:

Haha, mate, the difference between the engineering in a Technics DD Quartz TT and the cheap rubbish currently built at the entry level is that my turntable is still working perfectly 30 years later.

I guarantee none of your rega/project turntables below US$1500 will be working after 30 years!

Also, not a relevant answer to the question I asked!

Thanks guys, I wondered what happened to the guy behind the T4P website as it has disappeared. I will see if I can contact Bob.

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks ifor, I have found Bob's youtube channel, answers galore.

For those who think Technics P mounts were for the bottom end, I recommend a look and listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ZnomJW6fo&index=11&list=PLrUBuUbYMsEOAfUTRrgICwyXUSwyIQLPS

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Seakiwi said:
daytona600 said:

I guarantee none of your rega/project turntables below US$1500 will be working after 30 years!

Are we having a wager on this ? If so I'll take you up sir !

No reason why a well designed and engineered TT, no matter who makes it, can't outlive you or me.

All TT including your much revered "Technics DD Quartz TT" will need a little help with parts that wear out over that timespan, as would a thirty year old car, or a thirty year old valve amp.

I've set an outlook reminder for 24th May 2048 to come back and check this thread and claim my record token ;-)

daytona600

Turntables such as the SL10 and SL12, which used a rather expensive T4P MC, were certainly not cheap, and good ones that have survived still aren't.

Yes SL10 was a expensive end unit & nice sounding deck & would be £1500 if made new now

most T4P designs where budget

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly a simple "has anyone used.........." type question decends into "my willy is bigger than yours" on this forum..............

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You get that everywhere I'm afraid. With another head on, and on another forum, I asked for recommendations about a really good outdoor car cover. Didn't take long before it descended into a heated war about the pros and cons of using them (which I already knew anyway, and didn't ask to have repeated). You wouldn't think it would be a topic to provoke such shall we say empassioned responses. Anyhow I did at least get some useful leads inbetween the gunfire.

MajorFubar said:
You get that everywhere I'm afraid. With another head on, and on another forum, I asked for recommendations about a really good outdoor car cover. Didn't take long before it descended into a heated war about the pros and cons of using them (which I already knew anyway, and didn't ask to have repeated). You wouldn't think it would be a topic to provoke such shall we say empassioned responses. Anyhow I did at least get some useful leads inbetween the gunfire.

+1

'Tis the nature of forums everywhere unfortunately

It would seem that simply answering questions is beyond some people.

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to those who helped, tracking down Bob led to some very good info on P-Mount cartridges on AK and in particular Steve Hoffmans forum where Bob also contributes.

Net result is that I have an eliptical stylus for the P30 Cartridge on it's way from Voice of Music (extremely helpful guy called Gary on this site) and a NOS AT450 cartridge on its way from the auction site.

Now I just need to wait for them to swim down to NZ.

TRENDING THREADS