Low frequencies or what?

assault

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone! Just a curiosity. Some time ago I saw the video "Dali Zensor 3 - Jurassic Park T-Rex lunch scene" on YouTube. When I bought the Zensor 3 I tested them with tracks full of bass, but the woofer remained motionless. A couple of days ago I played this video through the speakers.... and wow, the woofer seemed crazy. So, the question: what are the frequencies that affect the movement of the woofer? Thanks,

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Usually the bass frequencies of movies are much lower than those in music. Movie tracks can generate bass frequencies well below the audible range, and usually well below the frequency where the woofer is naturally damped by the cabinet. This causes the woofer to move like crazy, because the airflow in the cabinet has enough time to leave via the port and to not damp the woofer. Try covering the port with your hands, you will see that the movement is a bit less already.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Everything below 2600Hz will excite the bass driver of the Zensor 3s. In general, it'll be the very low frequencies, that cause the most movement as the cone needs to move further to shift more air to reproduce those lower frequencies.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
in addition to what's already been said, if you could video the movement of the bass cones playing regular music, then play it back at a fraction of the speed, you'd find they are anything but motionless. In a two way speaker, woofers easily produce well over 75% of the sound you hear from the speaker. Sadly (from an experimental perspective) your Dalis are not bi-wireable, but if they were and you could disconnect the links on the back connecting the two halves of the crossover together, then you'd hear just how much disappears when you disconnect the woofer. What you'd be left with from the tweeter alone is a sound not too dissimilar from that of a telephone earpiece (but with better high frequency extension).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts