looking to upgrade !

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, its my first time on the forum looking for some advise
smile_smiley.gif

I am looking to upgrade from my current budget setup (see below) to a mid range setup only trouble is i don't know where to start ?

I like the timing and speed of the system, but seems a little clinical and overall better with acoustic music. I listen to everything from nora jones, U2, dance to rock so need a more lively sound.

I think the amp and speakers are maybe the weak link?

Any suggestions on improvements would be great !

Also my room is small (approx 3m x 4m)

current setup:

cd: Rotel cd02

amp: rotel RA-03

speakers: quad 11L

atlas equator interconnect and QED silver anniversery biwire cable

cheers

Martin

A

Anonymous

Hi, I would keep the Cd player, amp and look to change your speakers, but speakers are very personal, and consider how they will work in your room as well. Look at your speaker cables too, QED is very bright, and has a tinny sound quality.

T

the record spot

Don't ditch the speakers! The 11L's are arguably among the best handful of speakers released in the last ten years, easy. Dump the CD player, upgrade that - the speakers and amp will stand upgrade to your source player for now. Good machine, but no way you should be losing the Quad's - stunning speakers; they will sit well with electronics costing three times their value.

Alternatives, plenty in the mags around the £500 price point, consider also the secondhand market - you can clap hands on a Linn Genki for about £400 or £500, whilst new you've got the likes of Roksan, Quad's CDP99 at 650, Cyrus, Pioneer's recent SACD spinner for a bit less at £350 to consider too. Happy hunting, but kee the Quad's (did I mention keeping the Quad's?!)!

If you can step up a gear, though you'd need to think about an amp upgrade too, Eastern Electric's Minimax at £850 has had great things written of it and is also worth auditioning.

A

Anonymous

i would suggest a cheaper upgrade wich might work and if it dosen't u can always take it back ang get a refound this cheaper upgrade im talking about is a chord cobra 3 around £35 prices might differ the reason i suggest such upgrade is that after endles interconnects i finaly foind one that give life to music with natural tight bass cristal clear crisp treble and fantasic midrange this cable never got a 5star rewiev cose it use to cost around £60 but i got it for £32 on the net through hifibiz with free deliveryalso the speaker cable might be worth upgrading yuor components are realy good i dont think there is anything wrong with them

A

Anonymous

Hi Everyone, thanks for all your replies

I'm going to try the chord cobra 3 cable first, then upgrade the speaker cable if needed.

Can anyone suggest a good cable that is less bright and tinny than the QED's and suit the rotel/quad combo ?

Also I have looked at a second hand naim 5i amp, what type of sound does naim produce and would it match my speakers ??

cheers

Martin

A

Anonymous

[quote user="flaconage"]Can anyone suggest a good cable that is less bright and tinny than the
QED's [/quote]

http://www.richersounds.com/showbigproductpicture/IXOS-XHS553/303313.jpg

this is wat i have crisp but not bright solid and defined but then i sugest you try before you buy also i read good things about kimber 8PR respectively £10 and £9/m

T

the record spot

Definately check out the Naim, esp for a good price - quality shines through and then as time and funds allow you can upgrade the disc spinner. Naim - a bit like Linn - have their followers, all very dedicated! They make good gear however and well worth auditioning.

Hope it goes well!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts