Looking to buy...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I'm looking to buy a new TV asap for use with my 360 primarily but will also be watching DVDs and Divx through it as well. I've heard that a lot of new TVs are being released next month and that this will push the prices down. I'm looking to get a 37-42inch LCD but am unsure whether to get one now or wait for the prices to drop. My budget is about £650, maybe £750 if it's really worth it. Any suggestions? Are prices likely to fall that much? Cheers, James

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
To be honest, if I were you, given it's a month, I would wait. The thing is prices may drop or they may not - many retailers drop their prices early when a new release is confirmed (as a lot of people are aware of the new releases) so the price drop might have already come into affect. However, given it's a month (or less), unless you're itching so bad for a new TV you can't wait, what's it gonna hurt?

A

Anonymous

Are you absolutely set on buying an LCD as opposed to a plasma? Plasma tvs tend to be cheaper than LCDs, and at your budget it may be quite hard to find an LCD panel that is the size you want. However, there are a couple of really good LCDs that can be had for only slightly over your budget, but only if you search around for them online. They are the Panasonic 37LZD70 which can be had for about £764 and the Sony 40V3000 which can be had for around £785. These are both superb tvs and will work really well with your xbox 360, as they are both full HD (1080p).

Like I said before though, you can get a 37" or 42" plasma for cheaper than this, and the quality, especially with standard-def or upscaled material can be better than LCD. Colours on a plasma tend to be more realistic, and plasmas can deliver deep blacks that LCD tvs couldn't possibly match. For within your budget you could get the 42" Panasonic 42PX70 - a superb tv that will give you excellent images with both HD xbox 360 content, and upscaled DVDs, and it can be had for under £700.

So, try to be open minded about plasma, and make sure you get down to a shop to see some tvs in action, even if you are going to take advantage of the cheaper prices on the internet, and buy your tv online.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Oh and I completely agree with this... personally I think plasma is better than LCD, and I use my TV a lot for PS3 and Xbox 360 gaming. But you need to check it out yourself as Ben says.

A

Anonymous

Hey thanks guys.

For some reason I thought LCD was better for gaming as opposed to plasma. Am I wrong in thinking this?

I'd definitely want to get a full hd (1080), from what I've seen only the expensive plasmas seem to be full hd, but again I may be wrong.

What tvs have a longer life? LCD or plasma?

A

Anonymous

Well, I guess LCDs tend to have brighter colours, which might be an advantage for gamers, but I can't really think of that much else, apart from the fact that there are more LCDs with the full HD (1080p) resolution than there are full HD plasmas. But 1080p plasmas do exist, and one in particular - Panasonic's amazing 42PZ70 - is extremely good value for money... I have seen it online today for just £888. I know this is a little bit over your budget but it is well worth it.

But back to your question, I believe that plasmas are better for both movies and games. This is because they handle motion much better, they have much more realistic colours, true deep blacks unlike LCDs which can only go as far as darkish grey and I reckon that plasmas just have a more attractive picture with smoother edges, and a more cinematic picture than LCDs. And the only advantages that LCDs might have over plasma for gaming, and other viewing aswell, is their ability to display a slightly brighter picture during the day when it's light, and slightly brighter colours - though this is at the cost of true blacks and colour depth and realism. Oh yeah, LCDs tend to be lighter so they are easier to take round your mate's house for some sort of deathmatch or whatever you gamers get up to these days.

As for the lifetime thing, I am pretty sure that both plasma and LCD are pretty similar in this regard. It's a myth that either type of flatscreen "only last for two years because the gas / liquid runs out, and to refill costs more than the tv itself" - this is rubbish, absolute rubbish. I believe these tvs' lifespan are roughly 60,000 hours - that means if you had your tv switched on constantly, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, it would last for mover 7 years, which I reckon is pretty good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts