looking for wireless headphones

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i am planning to buy wireless headphones for the primary reason so as not to disturb my fussy neighbors. i have 2 questions:

1. how do u normally connect them wireless headphones? thru the TV's audio jack? or can you connect it thru the optical or caoxial output of your surround sound system?

2. what wireless headphones can you guys recommend? (i have a 42" Sony Bravia Full-HD LCD, a small studio flat and a budget of £50 to around £150 maximum).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,

Wireless headphones are an odd beast, really: you pay a massive premium for the wireless privilege, and we've yet to hear a totally convincing pair. Buying standard 'phones with an extension cord will buy you a much better sound...

Still, if you're set on wireless, we tested a £100 pair of Beyerdynamic RSX700 headphones in the current (September) issue, and they got a solid four-star rating. Much better than many wireless cans we've heard, if a little undynamic and brittle-sounding.

Most wireless headphones offer you a choice of connection depending on your set-up, but typically come with stereo leads (from your stereo or AV amp) and/or direct plug option from headphone socket of TV/system.

Remember they also come with a transmitter that has to sit near a mains socket, and will either use rechargeable batteries and come supplied with a charging cradle, or chew their way through standard batteries.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

Hi there,

Wireless headphones are an odd beast, really: you pay a massive premium for the wireless privilege, and we've yet to hear a totally convincing pair. Buying standard 'phones with an extension cord will buy you a much better sound...

Still, if you're set on wireless, we tested a £100 pair of Beyerdynamic RSX700 headphones in the current (September) issue, and they got a solid four-star rating. Much better than many wireless cans we've heard, if a little undynamic and brittle-sounding.

Most wireless headphones offer you a choice of connection depending on your set-up, but typically come with stereo leads (from your stereo or AV amp) and/or direct plug option from headphone socket of TV/system.

Remember they also come with a transmitter that has to sit near a mains socket, and will either use rechargeable batteries and come supplied with a charging cradle, or chew their way through standard batteries.

[/quote]

so, what exaclty will i be looking for in a wireless headphones? issues like distance, battery life, monoaural, surround.Dolby sound, etc.????

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, all of those! You also need to consider Infrared (IR) vs radio-frequency (RF) wireless transmission. The former is obviously restricted to line-of-sight across a limited distance, while the latter is susceptible to interference from mobile and cordless phones, but works over greater distances and out of sight of the transmitter.

Maybe a good model to try out first - as it should be widely stocked - is this pseudo-surround Sony pair. They're IR, but only £60, and we were reasonably impressed with an earlier version.

A

Anonymous

I have a pair of Sennheiser RS110 and they are very good as far as wireless cans go - nice bass, open sound but you'll get a touch of hiss in quiet parts as with most wireless sets. I use mine primarily for late night TV and get a much better sound with them plugged into my Denon amp's headphone socket rather than straight into the TV or into a phono output. Mine are a couple of years old now and I think Senny probably have bigger & better models now.
I use mine in a room with air con, my hifi, a wireless router & 3 computers with wireless networking and a cordless phone and have yet to suffer from any interference, they're pretty robust. I have the base station plugged into my Belkin Pure AV power board which helps compared to when it was connected to a standard board.
Obviously if you want the best sound, go wired, for convenience good wireless cans are great.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Damien Buckley"]I have a pair of Sennheiser RS110 and they are very good as far as wireless cans go - nice bass, open sound but you'll get a touch of hiss in quiet parts as with most wireless sets. I use mine primarily for late night TV and get a much better sound with them plugged into my Denon amp's headphone socket rather than straight into the TV or into a phono output. Mine are a couple of years old now and I think Senny probably have bigger & better models now.

I use mine in a room with air con, my hifi, a wireless router & 3 computers with wireless networking and a cordless phone and have yet to suffer from any interference, they're pretty robust. I have the base station plugged into my Belkin Pure AV power board which helps compared to when it was connected to a standard board.
Obviously if you want the best sound, go wired, for convenience good wireless cans are great.[/quote]

im inclined to buy the Sennheiser's. especially the RS140. but what about interference? like Clare was saying are the Senny's susceptible with mobiles or dect phones? and i have a 5.1 surround sound system. can you connect the earphones to them things? or would you sugest just the TV output? (my tele is a 42" sony bravia 1080p LCD)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gino_76ph"][quote user="Damien Buckley"]I have a pair of Sennheiser RS110 and they are very good as far as wireless cans go - nice bass, open sound but you'll get a touch of hiss in quiet parts as with most wireless sets. I use mine primarily for late night TV and get a much better sound with them plugged into my Denon amp's headphone socket rather than straight into the TV or into a phono output. Mine are a couple of years old now and I think Senny probably have bigger & better models now.

Obviously if you want the best sound, go wired, for convenience good wireless cans are great.[/quote]

im inclined to buy the Sennheiser's. especially the RS140. but what about interference? like Clare was saying are the Senny's susceptible with mobiles or dect phones? and i have a 5.1 surround sound system. can you connect the earphones to them things? or would you sugest just the TV output? (my tele is a 42" sony bravia 1080p LCD)
[/quote]
No interference problems with mine at all. You could plug them right into your tv but I've found mine much better when plugged into my amp instead.

A

Anonymous

Ive seen some sony wireless headphones that do DTS decoding, or something fancy. Are these any good?

I was looking for some wireless cans, and running more than one headset from the one broadcast point. Any ideas gentlemen?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts