Looking for some new speakers for an old amplifier

jamonbread

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I was hoping for some adive on choosing a new pair of speakers for my amp as I can't decide which model to get now I've narrowed it down to 2 or possibly 3 Warfedale models. The diamond 9.0 was my original choice but then I saw the 9.1s and just recently saw that Richer Sounds has the 121s for £120 . I'm not looking to spend much more then around £100 but the speakers are for my bedroom which is also my only real setup.

My amp is a 1989 Pioneer AZ-360 rated at 60w per channel 8-16 ohms I'm using the amp on its own connected to my PC by optical with some cheap 50w acoustic solutions bookshelf speakers. I have most of the amps separates but not currently connected which would normally all derive all thier power from the amp itself.

The amp has 2 more additional speaker outputs but with phono plugs for some kind of pseudo surround sound feature rated for 16 ohm 60w speakers. I have none of the orignal speakers for the system and I'm not really interested in surround sound anyway.

I like the look of 9.1s in walnut but their 6 ohm speakers the 121s are 8 ohm but look a bit naff in comparison although I'm interested more in the sound they make. My amp has a 300w PSU so would it drive either of these speakers or would the 9.0s be more suited to my situation?

Any adive would be really welcome as I just can't decide which speakers to get out of the 3 now.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
All the speakers on your list are reasonable choices.

Ether toss a coin and the one you go '....oh, best of three' on is the one you really want.

Just consider their size and how much room you have to play with.

jamonbread

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response

should I concern myself about using 6 ohms speakers with an amp rated for 8-16 ohms? I've been reading lots of conflicting infomation online about using lower ohm speakers on amps designed to drive higher impedance ones.

Are there any other models under £150 worth considering that will provide me with better sound quality. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The power requirements for the speakers listed are well suited to your amps output.

The 2ohms difference will not make a difference.

If you can it would really be worth your while to take your amp and audition these boxes - If you really can't - those speakers are fine.

There are loads of speakers in the 150£ price range - 'better' is subjective.

If you feel a need to confuse yourself you can ask for more suggestion but wharfdale make quality kit and have been doing so for a while - buy with confidence.... ;-)

jamonbread

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I had a look at the Q acoustics they look pretty cool but I realised I need wall mountable speakers so I'm back to the 9.1s which I think will be a good upgrade over the speakers I currently have.

I just realised today that my onboard realtek has been set to output 48khz at 24bits over SPDIF but the sound seems perfect to my ears no clipping or warping. Given the age of my amp I googled for some info on the amps DAC and its an 18bit 2 channel Sanyo with support both 44khz and 48khz (the amp has a DAT input selector)

I'm guessing maybe the onboard realtek isn't actually upsampling the output to 24bit at all, Is there any reason for this?

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts