looking for more volume

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Murray do you have a ps3? or xbox? there is a point to me asking this honest

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Firstly, I should point out that I wasn't trying to get him to blow up his KEF's in my last post. Just thinking of amps with headroom enough to drive them to their safe limits. Perhaps I should have added a don't go mad with the volume pot warning.

If CD is loud enough that would suggest your system is capable of sufficient output and maybe more power is not the answer. If you're on the verge of amplifier shutdown at these levels though a bigger amp (used sensibly) would prolong the working life of both your amp and speakers.

I know you ruled out a secomd pair of speakers but what about a sub. That could take some strain off both the KEF's and your power amp.

Secondly, I've just picked up on this MP3 too quiet, CD loud enough thing. I take it your amp shut down with CD and not MP3 then? Have you tried normalising your MP3 files to a higher level? Maybe normalise by track and not album for party playlists. I know all this was mentioned in the first page and a half or so of this thread. I normalise albums to 89dB to avoid clipping on peaks, but could happily take most individual tracks much higher and not clip the signal.

I don't use ITunes or have an IPod so I'm a little lost in that world. I have a niggling feeling that there's a chance you don't need to spend more money to crack this.

Maybe my comments should be seen as musings or food for thought rather than solid constructive advice as i seem to range from get a bigger amp and sub to normalise your files. Apologies for this.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys thanks again.

My son has an xbox 360 in his bedroom.

The amp will shutdown with the i-dock as well but at a slightly lesser level than the cd....I would be quite happy if I could just eek that bit more out when playing through the i-dock hence the thought on the 120 watt rotel.

Murray

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I once hooked my iPod up to a line input on my amp through the Apple dock and it sounded very quiet indeed compared to CD. Rubbish in fact. Ditch the iPod and buy yourself a server or stick with CDs.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Ditch the iPod and buy yourself a server or stick with CDs

It would meen burning cds with a party playlist...the i-pod is just so much handier!

thanks

Murray

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys

Getting the rotel rb980x power amp paid £120??? (you guys will let me know if it was a good deal or not i`m sure
emotion-40.gif
) I take it i just attatch to the pre-outs on the cambridge amp?

murray

A

Anonymous

Changing from an ipod to a CD will not change the maximum volume output of the amplifier - it will just make it louder earlier on in the volume dial's stage. An amplifier will deliver a peak current regardless of how loud the source is (unless it is extremly quiet). Your amp will still clip at the same volume (ie, at a lesser indicated level than using an ipod).

The RB980x is a good amp, and it can just be attached as you say, but I'm still not convinced this is the way to solve your problem.

A

Anonymous

Changing from an ipod to a CD will not change the maximum volume output of the amplifier - it will just make it louder earlier on in the volume dial's stage. An amplifier will deliver a peak current regardless of how loud the source is (unless it is extremly quiet). Your amp will still clip at the same volume (ie, at a lesser indicated level than using an ipod).

The RB980x is a good amp, and it can just be attached as you say, but I'm still not convinced this is the way to solve your problem.

Thanks for the reply

I do get what you are saying above...But I thought for £120 it would be worth it just to squeeze a little bit more out...(hopefully) LOL

murray

A

Anonymous

Terryff:Hughesy, you're an animal, am surprised Andrew has not banned you.....again?

Quite, I mean that comment with being careful with the volume dial, that redefines the idea of pushing the boundaries...

Anyway, the reason I was banned last time, was because I made a silly comment about Mr.E which I shouldn't have - It won't happen again, I'm sure we're all confident of that.

TRENDING THREADS