Looking for CD player now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

plarge

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I think the cairn fog, with it's larger than life presentation, and the grunt and drive of the Sugden will really open out the spendors and make them sing!! I find Spendor speakers nicely voiced but reticent and laid back - don't want to boogie! The Fog will amaze with it's ability to put you in the mix, rather than present it in front of you - and don't forget it has the different filter settings to allow changes in upsampling rate...

It looks good as well!! Just use the remote, and you'll be fine!!

A

Anonymous

you might also want to consider the marantz sa 15 and the naim cd5i which is a lively player and doesnt have the cyrus loading problems

A

Anonymous

Whilst some have had multiple units from Cyrus, and extreme experiences, I can only recommend the 8SE for the sound. Hence it is continues to be an award winning machine.

As far as the slot loader front, none of my discs are damaged, and since the newer software update, none of my 1000 CDs are rejected. CD-Rs CD-RWs etc. all work fine.

Looks - who cares?

Finish - poor, but who cares?

Put a big paper bag over it and just listen.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Still I find it strange that there are many horror stories about Cyrus but there's also people who seem to be prefectly satisfied after the last software update. hmmmmm..

Cyrus would be the most budget friendly so I really hope the new ones will have adressed the problems. Just wish they would hurry up releasing it, because I hope to buy a CD player before the end of this year.

I'm really really curious about the Cairn Fog and how it would sounds with my system, but the Caspian dealer just made me a very good offer, 3% discount (not much but hey everything counts), free delivery and a free 170 euros costing silver analogue interlink.

A

Anonymous

plarge:
I think the cairn fog, with it's larger than life presentation, and the grunt and drive of the Sugden will really open out the spendors and make them sing!! I find Spendor speakers nicely voiced but reticent and laid back - don't want to boogie! The Fog will amaze with it's ability to put you in the mix, rather than present it in front of you - and don't forget it has the different filter settings to allow changes in upsampling rate...

It looks good as well!! Just use the remote, and you'll be fine!!

Plarge, I am actually leaning towards the cairns now. lol. Anways I think the Cairn Fog 3 SOFT looks amazing, but at 2200 euros it's a bit expensive. On the other hand the Tornado with the upsampling board is only 1200 euro. My question is; Is the Tornado plus the upsampling board close to the Fog? In terms of sound. Obviously the build of the Fog is nicer.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You could always try a Unison Research Unico CDE, with valves, smooth as velvet. And it has a digital in so you can stream music through the DAC from Spotify/laptop/last.fm etc etc etc

A

Anonymous

If you can get hold of a used Acoustic Precision Eikos cdp you should pay approx £1200-£1500 ... these were the Tom Evans rebuild ... was a standard Pioneer PD-904 CD but totally rebuilt

some people say it was far superior to the Linn Sondek CD-12 ... not any at the moment on ebay, but you may find one in good condition on google ...

A

Anonymous

At current prices I don't think you can go wrong with a Rega Saturn, now at £900 I believe. Very nice sound with decent punch and weight. Very good value.

plarge

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
The FOG is bigger, more solid and looks great - the Tornado is passable at the price though (Especially compared to Cyrus / Rega) - and looks great from the front - just that its not very deep!!

The sound is very similar, larger than life presentation, fantastic experience which puts you right at the heart of the music - the FOG is more refined but the Tornado surprised me at the price - 80% of the Fog. That was without the optional upsampling board, so this can only make things better. Be prepared for it to be different musical presentation to the players you have mentioned!!

Do you get Electrocompaniet? The pcd-1 is worth a listen if so.

A

Anonymous

Rotel RCD1520 - stunning build with silky, powerful & and detailed sound to match.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
A quote from someone who had tried many cd players, it's only a personal opinion from someone but stil worth to explore if others would agree on this that could here some of the players mentioned...

Copy and paste...

"Received the TL51XR and have been running it in the past few days. No question it is the best player I've had in my system to date. Since I got it used it appears to be pretty much burned in.

I've had the Rega Apollo, ESound E5 (European and Signature editions), Onix CD-2, modded Original CD-A8T and Consonance CD 120 Linear in my setup so far over the past eight months. The C.E.C player has the best musical presentation of them all so far as I can actually fool myself into thinking I'm not listening to a CD with this model. Bass is very deep, tuneful and much more authoritative than on the Apollo (my pet peeve with this player), and the high frequencies are natural where many players go for that extra sparkle, which sounds artificial. The Consonance CD120 Linear, which I am keeping in my 2nd system, is a great player for the money and better than the Apollo IMHO, but the TL51XR just reveals textures and depth in the music that the others cannot seem to bring to the surface. Many players can throw a wide soundstage, but the depth of the soundstage with this player is spooky.

Although the TL51XR sounds very good through an unbalanced connection, it must be heard over its' balanced outputs to fully appreciate its' capabilities. I'm running it through a PS Audio GCC-100 control amp to Quad 21L speakers. Cables are also from PS Audio.

There are certainly better and more expensive players out there, but at the prices they command I feel this player is a terrific value for its' price. The look, build and performance it delivers certainly qualifies it as a high end source component.

Long story short, I think it's really good. :D"

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone!

I tested the new Cyrus 8SE today in my setup (house demo). Sounded amazing, very detailed,very clear. I have to add that the timing was very good but not crisp. I can imagine the sound being too much in a bright set, in a fatiguing way that is. But with my Spendors and my Sugden amp it works perfectly, really nicely balanced now. No loading problems for me. The new bezel is a welcome too, it makes disc changing easier.

So I bought it.

I chose the Cyrus over the Cairn because;

1) For warranty reasons. If I'd have problems with the Cairn I needed to pay the shipping to France.

2) Price pays a roll, not the biggest though

3) Can not audition one.

I will look at the Cairn Fog 3 SOFT when I want to upgrade though. I'll make a trip to France then. The way everyone says it brings you up and close with the music really intrigues me.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
SlickenSmooth:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone!

I tested the new Cyrus 8SE today in my setup (house demo). Sounded amazing, very detailed,very clear. I have to add that the timing was very good but not crisp. I can imagine the sound being too much in a bright set, in a fatiguing way that is. But with my Spendors and my Sugden amp it works perfectly, really nicely balanced now. No loading problems for me. The new bezel is a welcome too, it makes disc changing easier.

So I bought it.

I chose the Cyrus over the Cairn because;

1) For warranty reasons. If I'd have problems with the Cairn I needed to pay the shipping to France.

2) Price pays a roll, not the biggest though

3) Can not audition one.

I will look at the Cairn Fog 3 SOFT when I want to upgrade though. I'll make a trip to France then. The way everyone says it brings you up and close with the music really intrigues me.

Yup, should be a nice balance from what i read, congratulations!

How does it compare to your DacMagic? Are you able to do an A to B comparison by switching sources while listening?

A

Anonymous

SlickenSmooth:I tested the new Cyrus 8SE today in my setup (house demo). Sounded amazing, So I bought it.
Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts. Congratulations on your purchase and I'm pleased to hear that all seems well with your 8se so far. Please do keep us updated.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I'll post some comparisons between the DacMagic and the 8se soon. Once it's run in properly.

And I will keep you posted about my findings of the 8se, you guys will be the first to know.

A

Anonymous

Hey I didn't notice this till now. Congrats on the CD 8 SE. Lovely system you have now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts