Looking for AV Receiver only, no amplifier. Advice please

itrubes

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey everybody, just lookin for some advice, I don't know if what im looking for exists so I'll explain what i'd like to do.

I currently have a sony 5.1 system with several hdmi's inputted into, one of which has an optical input along side it, (in my case I use this for my sky + box as I understand that this unit can only ouput the 5.1 via the optical rather than the hdmi).

This works perfect for me because I know that all my inputs are going straight to the device outputting the sound, no pass through's etc..

Now im looking to ditch this unit as I'm thinking of moving over to using the SONOS play bar, and at a later date add a couple of Play 3's as rear channels.

But I'd like to input all my devices to it in a similar way to how I currently do it. I'd rather not connect everything to the TV and use it's optical out becuase i understand a lot of time this wont pass through the 5.1. (sometimes i've heard they can do the DD but not the DTS).

So what im looking for is a HDMI and Optical switch that has an Optical output for the sound and HDMI output to the TV, with all my devices plugging into it.

Does such a thing exist?

I've noticed lots of amp's out there, but i don't need any amplification, just the input controller really.

Would anybody highly advise against this. Most of what I watch contains DD5.1 not DTS because mostly they go through the Apple TV. Occasionally I use blu ray through the PS3, I've never really noticed much of a difference between DTS and DD5.1, should I have? Is there a big difference?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Your terminology may be adding to the confusion:

Receiver = Pre/Pro + Amps + Tuner

Pre/Pro (ie. with Amps removed) = is what you plug stuff into and decodes 5.1, which then needs 5 channels of ampification to send this to.

I'm not even sure I'm helping.

itrubes said:
Did you even read my post?

Multiple inputs not simple converter thingys.

If you read my link carefully, you'll find what you want:

CYP AU-11CD £122.32 (pictured top)
v1.3 HDMI Audio De-Embedder (5.1) with built in repeater – strips the audio out of an HDMI signal to send to the Playbar. Plug your source (eg Blu-ray player, Virgin box etc) into the CYP with an HDMI cable – you can then run sound via optical cable to the Playbar, with a second HDMI cable carrying the picture to your display. Designed for where the TV doesn’t pass through the audio.

Use with something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-1080p-switch-Splitter-Pigtail/dp/B003TKKSIC/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1367098911&sr=8-14&keywords=HDMI+switch

itrubes

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys, we're almost there, I understand what the products in that link do. But they are simple one HDMI into one optical (and 129 is expensive for just that), I have several different devices so it doesn't do what I need it to. I'd like to get it all running through one thing rather than have several converters, that would mean I could switch the source with a simple remote with 1234 on it or something.

Following further research since i've posted this I think the name of what im looking for is simply "HDMI switcher with Toslink".

I found this...

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html

...which I think will do the job. Any body know of any alternatives.

itrubes

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
It's a sony HT-AS 5.

I like the system but it can be very bass heavy at times. I live in a house with other people and I end up watching things with my hand on the remote ready to turn it down at any jumps in volume. It also doesn't automatically adjust depending on what sound it is recieving so i have to switch to pro logic when i want to. I'd rather have the system do that automatically for me.

I've had the playbar demonstrated and am very impressed with it's sound (without the sub) and the controls it provides within the app for manually adjusting the bass and a special night mode also. Also the compact side of it, no need to have wires running around the room anymore.

itrubes

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I havn't seen anything about this update, but it might be useful.

Because if my TV does pass through 5.1 DD to the optical output then this would mean I could just connect my devices all directly to it, so I'll try and find something which is relevant and up to date.

Thanks for you help posters

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
BenLaw said:
Fair enough. Have you looked into the sky software update for 5.1 over hdmi? That may obviate the need for an optical in and open up your options.

The OP is moving to a Playbar which accepts optical only, so Sky HD's update for 5.1 over HDMI is of no use.

I know that's the only input on the playbar, and I never meant / said to run hdmi into it. The point was that the OP believed he had to use some sort of preamp / combiner with an optical input because of his sky box. If he could use hdmi out of his sky box as well as his other sources, then he just needs something with a bunch of hdmi ins and an optical out, instead of some hdmi ins, an optical in and an optical out.

izools

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if it's worth noting that most TVs have an optical out?

We have an Orbitsound M12 in the bedroom.

The XBox, PS3, and Media Centre connect to the TV over HDMI.

The TV's optical out is then connected to the Soundbar which outputs whatever input the TV is on, including the TVs built in Freeview HD tuner.

No expensive switchgear necessary.

Our other TV in the lounge also has an optical out, although not used, so I would assume most TVs made lately have this?

daveh75

izools said:
I wonder if it's worth noting that most TVs have an optical out?

Yes, but it's also worth noting that while most TVs have an optical output these days, they don't all allow audio passthrough from connected devices i.e though only output sound from the onboard tuners.

izools

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Both our TVs pass through the audio from connected devices.

Like I say, we have this set up and functioning in our bedroom, and the TVs aren't super awesome expensive, just run of the mill LG stuff :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts